#Fight Night London #Kamaru Usman #Demian Maia #Alexa Grasso #Tatiana Suarez #UFC 224 #Conor McGregor #Amanda Nunes #Enrique Barzola #Andrea Lee #Raquel Pennington #Bisping vs. St. Pierre

After 'referee's error,' Francimar Barroso thankful he got rematch at UFC Fight Night 107

With the job uncertainty that comes with a UFC contract, Francimar Barroso is simply happy to have a spot on Saturday’s UFC Fight Night 107 card.

Things started off well enough for the 37-year-old Brazilian, who picked up a few regional-show titles, signed with the UFC, and won three of his first fights, including decision victories over Ryan Jimmo and Elvis Mutapcic.

However, he then suffered a submission loss to Nikita Krylov in May, and then in November in his home country, he suffered an accidental (and initially unnoticed) head-butt, and Barroso (18-5 MMA, 3-2 UFC) was declared a 94-second TKO loser to fellow light heavyweight Darren Stewart (7-0 MMA, 0-0 UFC).

“When the head-butt happened, I was groggy, but I was able to communicate what happened,” he told MMAjunkie. “The referee did nothing to halt the fight. I think that would have been right to do – at least give me time to recover. It was undeniably an illegal strike, and the referee should have given me recovery time. I think that was the referee’s error – not to stop the fight so he could analyze what happened.

“Next thing I know, I was in a seated position, and the fight was being called off.”

Thankfully, Brazil’s athletic commission ultimately overturned the loss and changed the result to a no-contest, and Barroso’s job was again safe. However, as he readies for a rematch with England’s Stewart – this time in his opponent’s home country, at The O2 in London in a UFC Fight Pass-streamed bout – Barroso knows it’s time to deliver and prove he deserves his roster spot.

“It’s a good thing,” he said. “The promotion looked at my body of work and decided I deserved this rematch. I’m thankful to the UFC for giving me the chance to prove who I truly am. I had already been studying him, so not much has changed. And the fact that he’s now fighting at home puts the pressure on him. I’m just showing up to win.

“I don’t care if we fight in Brazil or not. I always show up to win. Most of my fights have been on my opponents’ home turf. It makes no difference. I’m fine with that.”

Barroso, who worked with coach Andre Pederneiras at Nova Uniao while also putting together a camp in his home state of Acre, is a Brazilian jiu-jitsu black belt. However, among his 18 wins, eight have come via knockout and six via submission.

Come Saturday, he said he won’t be picky.

“I don’t care how I win; it can be by submission, knockout or decision,” he said. “But I believe that if he keeps it standing, I have a high chance of knocking him out. But a fight is a fight, and it can go anywhere. I am a jiu-jitsu black belt, and I’ve been training wrestling for a very long time. I’m ready anywhere.”

And if victorious – with a guarantee he’ll get another UFC fight? After that, his goal is simple: move up the 205-pound ladder:

“My dream is always to fight against ranked opponents,” he said. “I leave it up to the UFC. Right now, I’m just thinking about my next fight.”

For more on UFC Fight Night 107, check out the UFC Rumors section of the site.

Comments

Corey Anderson won big at UFC Atlantic City, then traded meaningful glances with Misha Cirkunov

Did Corey Anderson reach an unspoken agreement for an upcoming fight after his dominant performance at UFC Fight Night 128? read news >>

TMZ Captures Conor McGregor Flipping Off Photographers at Airport in Ireland

UFC star Conor McGregor has finally returned to Ireland after the violent incident that got him arrested at UFC 223's media day, and he treated photographers to a middle finger upon his arrival at read news >>

'The Decisionator' Ryan LaFlare threw 'kitchen sink' at Alex Garcia with hopes of first UFC finish

Ryan LaFlare said he did everything he could to get his first stoppage win under the UFC banner at UFC Fight Night 128. read news >>

Holloway - Looking back and moving forward

Max Holloway will defend his 145-pound crown against number one contender Brian Ortega at UFC 226 in Las Vegas on July 7. Tickets go on sale this week for Holloway’s bout on what he likes to refer to read news >>

Tony Martin says he's staying at 170 pounds after UFC Atlantic City – thanks to Mike Brown

There were moments in Tony Martin’s move up to 170 pounds that he wanted to just go a little crazy and get a highlight-reel finish. read news >>

Khabib Nurmagomedov Addresses Contenders to His UFC Lightweight Championship | MMAWeekly.com

Khabib Nurmagomedov addressed the current cadre of UFC lightweight contenders and laid out a time for his return to the Octagon. read news >>

Volkan Oezdemir vs. 'Shogun' rebooked, now headlines UFC Fight Night 134 in Hamburg

It didn’t take long for UFC officials to rebook a key light-heavyweight fight between Volkan Oezdemir and Mauricio “Shogun” Rua. read news >>

Khabib Nurmagomedov addresses queue of lightweight contenders, will defend against whoever UFC chooses

With several worthy lightweight title contenders, UFC champ Khabib Nurmagomedov is ready to take on all comers. read news >>

Trading Shots: UFC doesn't want to be in business with Leslie Smith, but does want Greg Hardy?

Is it a bad look for UFC to let Leslie Smith go while embracing controversial ex-NFL player Greg Hardy? Danny Downes, Ben Fowlkes discuss. read news >>

Justin Willis: Chase Sherman entered UFC Atlantic City 'just trying to survive'

Justin Willis isn’t surprised Chase Sherman was able to survive an early shot. After all, he thinks that was Sherman’s entire game plan – to simply survive. read news >>

David Branch hopes KO win proves he's 'capable of more' than boring fights, close decisions

UFC middleweight David Branch’s new career approach is to leave the past in the past and focus only on the future. read news >>

Sean Shelby's Shoes: What's next for Kevin Lee and UFC Fight Night 128's other winning fighters?

See who Kevin Lee should fight next after his victory over Edson Barboza at UFC Fight Night 128. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 128 post-event facts: Frankie Edgar approaches seven hours of UFC fight time

Check out all the facts, figures and footnotes from UFC Fight Night 128, which took place Saturday in Atlantic City, N.J. read news >>

Despite missing weight, Kevin Lee not interested in moving to 'muddy' welterweight division

Unless the UFC decides to implement a 165-pound division, don’t expect Kevin Lee to change weight classes. read news >>

Ricky Simon on controversial stoppage vs. Merab Dvalishvili : 'I stood over his limp body'

Ricky Simon has no doubt that the referee made the right call in his controversial win over Merab Dvalishvili at UFC Fight Night 128. read news >>

'Korean Zombie' offers simple callout of Frankie Edgar after UFC Fight Night 128

Chan Sung Jung is apparently ready to get back to work, and “The Korean Zombie” wants a piece of former UFC champ Frankie Edgar. read news >>