#UFC 217 #Conor McGregor #Michael Bisping #GSP #UFC Fight Night 55

ANAHEIM, Calif. – Jarred Brooks his not happy with the performance he delivered in his UFC debut, despite picking up the win.

Brooks (13-0 MMA, 1-0 UFC) earned a split-decision victory over Eric Shelton (10-4 MMA, 0-2 UFC) on Saturday’s UFC 214 card, which took place at Honda Center in Anaheim, Calif., and aired on pay-per-view following prelims on FXX and UFC Fight Pass.

The debuting flyweight, who was part of the early prelims on UFC Fight Pass, talked a lot of smack in the lead-up to the contest. The result narrowly went his way, but he pointed to feeling off in the days prior to the event as one of the reasons behind what he considered an underwhelming effort. He promised to do much better in his sophomore outing.

“I felt like crap leading up to the fight, but everything happens for a reason,” Brooks said after his win. “Usually when I do things first off, I do things really (expletive) – then I always end up doing really good. I beat a qualified opponent. Eric Shelton is really good. … Hats off to him. He’s a hell of an opponent. Hopefully in the future I will show a better form of Jarred Brooks. They call me ‘The Monkey God.’ I’m going to come out there and fight like a god in the future.”

Brooks said his long layoff also contributed to his performance. He was originally scheduled to make his UFC debut on short notice against Ian McCall at UFC 208 in February, but the matchup fell apart on fight day when “Uncle Creep” was hospitalized with illness.

He doesn’t want another similar break between fights, and said he hopes the UFC will book him again immediately.

“I haven’t fought in almost year,” Brooks said. “People like Ian McCall, I wish I could have fought Ian in February. I felt a lot better leading up to that fight. Eric Shelton is a hell of an opponent, hell of a striker. He’s well-rounded. Thank God for giving me that win, but expect more out of me, guys. I’m going to come out, and I’m going to bring the ruckus within the next few months.

“Hopefully they can get me a fight every two months. I’m like ‘Cowboy’ Cerrone. I only weigh about 129. I’m probably weighing around 125 sopping wet right now. If they’re putting me to fight in the next two months, two weeks – whatever.”

If Brooks can’t get a quick fight, though, he has a more longterm plan. He would like to fight on the rumored December UFC card in Detroit, and he named Magomed Bibulatov (14-0 MMA, 1-0 UFC) and Ben Nguyen (17-6 MMA, 4-1 UFC) as two opponents he’d like to face in the 125-pound division.

“I’m ready to go,” Brooks said. “I would really like to fight Magomed Bibulatov in Detroit in December or Ben Nguyen. I think those are really good fights for me in the future.”

For complete coverage of UFC 214, check out the UFC Events section of the site.

Comments

Tai Tuivasa Earns $50,000 Bonus for Jaw Dropping Flying Knee KO in UFC Debut | MMAWeekly.com

Tai Tuivasa made quite an impression in his UFC debut as the undefeated heavyweight prospect earned a jaw-dropping knockout with a flying knee to finish Rashad Coulter on the prelims at UFC Fight Nig read news >>

Providing for daughter is Junior Albini's 'greatest pleasure' since life-changing UFC debut

After impressing in his UFC debut and winning the hearts of many with his life story, Junior Albini views the added pressure of his second octagon outing in a positive light.Filed under: Featured, Ne read news >>

Nadia Kassem wants Paige VanZant flyweight fight after missing 115 pounds in UFC debut

Nadia Kassem acknowledged that missing 115 pounds was “not professional,” but now she wants Paige VanZant to fight her at flyweight.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

UFC Fight Night 119 results: Marcelo Golm makes easy work of Christian Colombo in debut

In his UFC debut, heavyweight Marcelo Golm beat up Christian Colombo on the feet, then took him to the canvas for an easy submission.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Cody Garbrandt 'most hungry fighter ever' going into UFC 217 grudge match vs. T.J. Dillashaw

With the UFC bantamweight title in his possession, Cody Garbrandt said his passion is even stronger going into UFC 217.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

'UFC 217 Embedded,' No. 3: Does Joanna Jedrzejczyk's nail color look familiar?

Go behind the scenes with the fighters of UFC 217 as the event draws near.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC vet Thompson knows he has to continue to evolve

"To stay at the top of the game, especially with the new up and comers coming up, you gotta keep evolving. You’ve got to think that you can do better. That’s the mentality you have to have," Thompson read news >>

Al Iaquinta Out of UFC 218, Paul Felder Awaits New Opponent | MMAWeekly.com

UFC 218 has taken a hit with the loss of Al Iaquinta from his fight against Paul Felder read news >>

Ex-UFC fighter Erik Perez signs with Combate Americas

Erik “Goyito” Perez is expected to make his debut with the first Hispanic-based promotion in January.Filed under: News read news >>

UFC champ Conor McGregor declares he won't return to octagon unless he's co-promoter

Conor McGregor wants to become the first fighter to co-promote with the UFC – and he won’t return unless he does.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>