MMA: UFC 167-St-Pierre vs Hendricks

LAS VEGAS – Dana White thinks Johny Hendricks beat Georges St-Pierre. He thinks GSP’s team, immediately after the fight, thought Hendricks beat the champ.

So you know Hendricks believes he won the fight.

St-Pierre (25-2 MMA, 19-2 UFC) won an instantly controversial split decision against Hendricks (15-2 MMA, 10-2 UFC) in the main event of UFC 167 at MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas on Saturday.

After the fight, despite White, the UFC’s president, saying St-Pierre was headed to the hospital, the champ showed up to the post-event news conference in the middle of the event with his face showing perhaps more wear from the 25-minute war with Hendricks than it ever had before.

“My hands are busted up from hitting him in the face,” Hendricks said at the post-event news conference. “Look at his face and look at mine.”

Perhaps more revealing, though, was Hendricks’ big reveal that in the fight, he was only hitting the champ with 70 percent power.

“I really didn’t hit him that hard,” Hendricks said. “I wasn’t really trying to knock him out. I was putting about 70 percent on him, and it was enough.”

White, though, was quick to dispute that, for obvious reasons.

“It wasn’t enough,” White told him. “You left it in the hands of the judges. You better give 100 percent next time.”

And Hendricks couldn’t dispute that, with his boss leaving him stammering for a moment.

White wants to order up a rematch between the two, reiterating to MMAjunkie his belief that Hendricks won the fight. Just when that might be remains to be seen, especially in the fight’s aftermath, when St-Pierre said he is planning to take a leave of absence of sorts to work on some personal issues and “prove a point.”

But Hendricks insisted his goal of winning a title merely hit a bump in the road.

“Dude, I don’t care about Georges,” he said. “I beat him anyway. I just want the belt. That’s the only thing that’s motivating me. I need to get it. That’s my drive. I thought I got it tonight, but I guess I didn’t. There’s a lot of things I can pull from this fight, and I’m only going to get better. It was my first five-round fight, and I took it to the champ.”

If a potential rematch does happen, “Bigg Rigg” may take White’s advice of not going anything but high gear against St-Pierre, who set a UFC record with his 19th win.

“If I get to see him in the ring again, it won’t go the distance,” Hendricks said. “I will finish him. I know I can go five rounds now.”

For complete coverage of UFC 167, stay tuned to the UFC Events section of the site.

Georges St-Pierre signs new UFC deal; Dana White says potential comeback fights abound

One of the greatest MMA fighters of all time is set to make his return to the octagon after a more than three-year absence.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Dana White: Conor McGregor's Next Fight Will Be MMA Rules in the UFC | MMAWeekly.com

• a day ago

UFC president Dana White said that Conor McGregor vs. Floyd Mayweather is going "nowhere," has his eyes on McGregor's next Octagon opponent. read news >>

Burt Watson describes first encounter with Dana White since UFC departure

• a day ago

Nearly two years after quitting his job as a site coordinator for the UFC, Burt Watson came face-to-face with UFC president Dana White for the first time last weekend.Filed under: Featured, Featured read news >>

Dana White's White Whale: The UFC Chased Fedor for Years, but He Always Got Away

The massive, stoic Russian perched on a chaise lounge in blissful comfort on a gorgeous beach. It was July 2009, and Fedor Emelianenko, the baddest man on the planet, was on holiday. He should have b read news >>

Dana White Confirms Georges St-Pierre Has Signed for UFC Return | MMAWeekly.com

UFC president Dana White on Friday made Georges St-Pierre's return to the Octagon official. read news >>

Floyd Mayweather Joins Dana White in Shooting Down Conor McGregor Rumor | MMAWeekly.com

Floyd Mayweather joined UFC president Dana White on Tuesday in shooting down Conor McGregor rumors. read news >>

Dana White Comments on Mayweather-McGregor Talks, UFC Star's Next Fight

• 20 hours ago

In an interview with TMZ Sports on Friday, UFC President Dana White revealed that little progress has been made regarding a potential fight between Conor McGregor and Floyd Mayweather Jr. As seen in read news >>

Kevin Lee thinks he's doing UFC a favor against Trinaldo: 'I don't think they want him in that top 5'

• 22 hours ago

Lightweight prospect Kevin Lee takes on Francisco Trinaldo at UFC Fight Night 106 next month and looks to end his opponent’s seven-fight winning streak – while adding a fourth win to his own.Filed un read news >>

Sara McMann would fight again before UFC title shot but thinks she's already earned it

HALIFAX – After making quick work of Gina Mazany at Sunday's UFC Fight Night 105, onetime title challenger Sara McMann explained why she believes she's earned a second stab at the women's 135-pound b read news >>

Dana White: UFC on FOX 23's Francis Ngannou could be longstanding heavyweight champ one day

UFC President Dana White has high praise for surging heavyweight prospect Francis Ngannou ahead of Saturday’s UFC on FOX 23 event.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>