#UFC 217 #UFC Fight Night 55 #GSP #Michael Bisping #Conor McGregor

It was a scary injury.

Bellator featherweight champion Pat Curran was winding down his training camp for a title defense against Patricio Freire in August, and he caught a punch that put him on the sidelines for weeks with a fractured orbital.

“I guess I was sparring with a guy a little bit too big,” Curran told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show. “He was a boxer. I was just boxing down in Chicago. I don’t know, it was just a freak accident. I was sparring with him pretty much the whole camp leading up to the fight. It was my second to last sparring session and he just clipped me with a right hook, and it fractured it.”

If a fractured orbital sounds painful, that’s because it is.

“It was pretty painful,” Curran said. “It was my first time ever fracturing my orbital. When it happened, I really didn’t know what was going on. I was instantly blind. My nose started bleeding on the same side and I pretty much lost vision for about 30 minutes. It was hard for me to see out of that eye for a while, but in time, it healed.”

The injury didn’t require surgery. Instead, Curran went eight weeks without sparring and then switched to thicker headgear before jumping back in the ring to prepare for his defense against Freire, which takes place Thursday at Bellator Fighting Championships 85.

“Pretty much my first sparring session, I just jumped right back into it,” Curran said. “I didn’t even think about it. It wasn’t even on my mind. I just wanted to get back into training.”

Curran enters the bout on a four-fight win streak. However, after a March knockout of Joe Warren, he appeared to be headed into the originally scheduled date with Freire at full momentum.

“After the injury I was very disappointed,” Curran said. “I was upset with myself. It’s something I couldn’t have done anything about, but it was definitely a setback in our plans.”

Now that he’s fully recovered, though, he’s not worried about the time he had to take off. If anything, Curran said, the fight’s delay has given him even more time to develop his skills. And even though he’s been on the sidelines, Freire has as well, having not fought since May 2011.

“It’s really hard to [know what to] expect, but I’m looking to stand and trade,” Curran said. “If it hits the ground, I’m looking to submit him or either get back up and just keep it standing.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 1:01:27).

Comments

Young to make UFC debut against Volkanovski in Sydney

Despite losing opponents Jeremy Kennedy and Humberto Bandenay due to injury, Australian prospect Alexander Volkanovski will be in action this weekend in Sydney, as New Zealander Shane Young has read news >>

Ketlen Vieira says planned fight with Germaine de Randamie off due to 'GDR' injury

Hopefully you weren’t holding your breath waiting for the return of Germaine de Randamie. Filed under: News read news >>

Bellator 188 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media

See how the winning and losing fighters from Bellator 188 reacted on social media outlets like Twitter, Instagram and Facebook.Filed under: Bellator, Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News read news >>

UFC Fight Night 121 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media

• a day ago

See how the winning and losing fighters from UFC Fight Night 121 reacted on social media outlets such as Twitter, Instagram and Facebook.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

Bryan Caraway out at UFC-Fresno, Luke Sanders needs new opponent

• a day ago

Injury has forced Bryan Caraway out of a planned contest with Luke Sanders, leaving UFC officials on the search for a bantamweight foe.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Dominick Cruz Out; John Lineker Now Faces Jimmie Rivera at UFC 219 | MMAWeekly.com

• 11 hours ago

Following an injury to former bantamweight champion Dominick Cruz, John Lineker has stepped up to face Jimmie Rivera at UFC 219 in Las Vegas on Dec. 30. UFC officials announced the matchup on Tuesday read news >>

UFC Fight Night 118 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media

See how the winning and losing fighters from UFC Fight Night 118 reacted on social media outlets such as Twitter, Instagram and Facebook.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

Injury scraps planned UFC bout between Bethe Correia and Irene Aldana

A potential UFC women’s bantamweight bout has been scrapped due to an injury.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC's Paige VanZant resumes training after back injury forced fight withdrawal

UFC women’s flyweight Paige VanZant is back in the training room.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

UFC champ Michael Bisping 'not losing sleep' over lawsuit or Cody Garbrandt claims

UFC middleweight champ Michael Bisping isn’t worrying about a recently filed lawsuit, or the opinions of bantamweight champion Cody Garbrandt.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>