#Conor McGregor #Justin Buchholz #UFC 211 #Ramsey Nijem #Julian Lane #Dynasty of Heroes #Nate Diaz #Duane Ludwig #Cat Zingano #Twisted #Jon Jones #MMA KINGS #Fight One #Alexander Gustafsson #Rory MacDonald

It was a scary injury.

Bellator featherweight champion Pat Curran was winding down his training camp for a title defense against Patricio Freire in August, and he caught a punch that put him on the sidelines for weeks with a fractured orbital.

“I guess I was sparring with a guy a little bit too big,” Curran told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show. “He was a boxer. I was just boxing down in Chicago. I don’t know, it was just a freak accident. I was sparring with him pretty much the whole camp leading up to the fight. It was my second to last sparring session and he just clipped me with a right hook, and it fractured it.”

If a fractured orbital sounds painful, that’s because it is.

“It was pretty painful,” Curran said. “It was my first time ever fracturing my orbital. When it happened, I really didn’t know what was going on. I was instantly blind. My nose started bleeding on the same side and I pretty much lost vision for about 30 minutes. It was hard for me to see out of that eye for a while, but in time, it healed.”

The injury didn’t require surgery. Instead, Curran went eight weeks without sparring and then switched to thicker headgear before jumping back in the ring to prepare for his defense against Freire, which takes place Thursday at Bellator Fighting Championships 85.

“Pretty much my first sparring session, I just jumped right back into it,” Curran said. “I didn’t even think about it. It wasn’t even on my mind. I just wanted to get back into training.”

Curran enters the bout on a four-fight win streak. However, after a March knockout of Joe Warren, he appeared to be headed into the originally scheduled date with Freire at full momentum.

“After the injury I was very disappointed,” Curran said. “I was upset with myself. It’s something I couldn’t have done anything about, but it was definitely a setback in our plans.”

Now that he’s fully recovered, though, he’s not worried about the time he had to take off. If anything, Curran said, the fight’s delay has given him even more time to develop his skills. And even though he’s been on the sidelines, Freire has as well, having not fought since May 2011.

“It’s really hard to [know what to] expect, but I’m looking to stand and trade,” Curran said. “If it hits the ground, I’m looking to submit him or either get back up and just keep it standing.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 1:01:27).

With Daniel Madrid out of LFA 11 headliner, Matthew Frincu now meets Maycon Mendonca

Injury has forced a change at Friday’s LFA 11 event, and Matthew Frincu now faces Maycon Mendonca in the night’s headlining contest.Filed under: AXS TV Fights, News read news >>

Matt Bessette meets new challenger Reynaldo Trujillo in CES MMA 44 headliner

Injury has forced Jeremy Spoon to withdraw from a planned CES MMA 44 headliner, and a replacement opponent has been secured.Filed under: News read news >>

Cage Warriors 83 results: Che Mills injury gives Lewis Long 18-second main event win

After an exciting card filled with spectacular finishes, the Cage Warriors 83 main event ended in an underwhelming and premature fashion when [autotag]Che Mills[/autotag] suffered a knee injury just read news >>

Injury Forces Henry Cejudo vs. Sergio Pettis UFC 211 Cancellation | MMAWeekly.com

The UFC's first stacked fight card of the year, UFC 211: Miocic vs. dos Santos 2, lost a highly anticipated flyweight fight on Wednesday. read news >>

Dana White: Cody Garbrandt vs. TJ Dillashaw is Not Canceled | MMAWeekly.com

Despite Cody Garbrandt's doubts about his back injury, UFC president Dana White on Friday declared that his fight with TJ Dillashaw was not being canceled. read news >>

Sean Shelby's Shoes: What's next for Junior Dos Santos and UFC 211's other losing fighters?

After every event, fans wonder whom the losing fighters will be matched up with next. And with another night of UFC action in the rearview mirror, it's time to look forward, put on a pair of Sean She read news >>

UFC 211 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media

Following Saturday’s UFC 211 pay-per-view event in Dallas, several of the winning and losing fighters took to social media to react to the event or share a message with supporters. Check them out.Fil read news >>

Stockholm newcomer Oliver Enkamp in for Emil Meek vs. Nordine Taleb at UFC Fight Night 109

After losing his opponent, Nordine Taleb will stay on the UFC’s card in Sweden later this month.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Ronda Rousey Needs to 'Grow the F--k Up' After Losing, Says Demetrious Johnson

UFC flyweight champion Demetrious Johnson did not mince words about Ronda Rousey when he was discussing how easy it is to lose in a sport like mixed martial arts. In an interview with Sports Illustra read news >>

UFC 212 Loses a Bout Due to Injury | MMAWeekly.com

An injury has forced a fight to drop off the UFC 212: Aldo vs. Holloway fight card taking place on June 2 in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. read news >>