It was a scary injury.

Bellator featherweight champion Pat Curran was winding down his training camp for a title defense against Patricio Freire in August, and he caught a punch that put him on the sidelines for weeks with a fractured orbital.

“I guess I was sparring with a guy a little bit too big,” Curran told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show. “He was a boxer. I was just boxing down in Chicago. I don’t know, it was just a freak accident. I was sparring with him pretty much the whole camp leading up to the fight. It was my second to last sparring session and he just clipped me with a right hook, and it fractured it.”

If a fractured orbital sounds painful, that’s because it is.

“It was pretty painful,” Curran said. “It was my first time ever fracturing my orbital. When it happened, I really didn’t know what was going on. I was instantly blind. My nose started bleeding on the same side and I pretty much lost vision for about 30 minutes. It was hard for me to see out of that eye for a while, but in time, it healed.”

The injury didn’t require surgery. Instead, Curran went eight weeks without sparring and then switched to thicker headgear before jumping back in the ring to prepare for his defense against Freire, which takes place Thursday at Bellator Fighting Championships 85.

“Pretty much my first sparring session, I just jumped right back into it,” Curran said. “I didn’t even think about it. It wasn’t even on my mind. I just wanted to get back into training.”

Curran enters the bout on a four-fight win streak. However, after a March knockout of Joe Warren, he appeared to be headed into the originally scheduled date with Freire at full momentum.

“After the injury I was very disappointed,” Curran said. “I was upset with myself. It’s something I couldn’t have done anything about, but it was definitely a setback in our plans.”

Now that he’s fully recovered, though, he’s not worried about the time he had to take off. If anything, Curran said, the fight’s delay has given him even more time to develop his skills. And even though he’s been on the sidelines, Freire has as well, having not fought since May 2011.

“It’s really hard to [know what to] expect, but I’m looking to stand and trade,” Curran said. “If it hits the ground, I’m looking to submit him or either get back up and just keep it standing.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 1:01:27).

UFC on FOX 23 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media

Following Saturday’s UFC on FOX 23 event in Denver, several of the winning and losing fighters took to social media to react to the event or share a message with supporters.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

CM Punk Plans to Fight Again Whether It's in the UFC or Elsewhere | MMAWeekly.com

Despite losing in his UFC debut, CM Punk is determined to fight again whether it's in the UFC or not. read news >>

The Top 25 MMA Prospects for 2017, Part 2

The grind of high-level MMA is remorseless. Injuries, retirements and losing streaks all take their toll on the rosters of the major promotions, which means they constantly need a fresh supply of ath read news >>

Julianna Pena reflects on first UFC loss: Even 'Michael Jordan missed shots'

Julianna Pena says she won’t allow losing her most high-profile fight to date to derail her career.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Dana White Says Ronda Rousey is Probably Done Fighting | MMAWeekly.com

After losing back-to-back bouts for the first time in her career, it appears that former Ronda Rousey may be riding off into the sunset. read news >>

The Korean Zombie, Cult Hero Brawler, Finally Returns to the UFC

After a long layoff due to injury and a mandatory two-year stint in the South Korean army, Chan Sung Jung, the Korean Zombie, finally makes his return to the UFC this Saturday for UFC Fight Night 104 read news >>

UFC Fight Night 104 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media

Since the early days when the sport was anything but a mainstream endeavor, the MMA industry has thrived and survived through various websites, forums and, perhaps most importantly, social-media plat read news >>

UFC 208 headliner, ex-champ Holly Holm talks about losing on 'Live with Kelly'

UFC 208 headliner Holly Holm paid a visit to “Live with Kelly” to talk about her fear of losing – and to teach the hosts some moves. Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC 208 results: Glover Teixeira rides takedowns to dominant ground win over Jared Cannonier

BROOKLYN, N.Y. – Glover Teixeira had some scary moments on the feet against Jared Cannonier, but he was saved by his takedowns and top control. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Sean Shelby's Shoes: What's next for Holly Holm and UFC 208's other losing fighters?

With another night of UFC action in the rearview mirror, it’s time to look forward, put on a pair of Sean Shelby and Mick Maynard’s shoes, and play UFC matchmaker for UFC 208’s losing fighters.Filed read news >>