It’s hard enough to finish Josh Neer, much less knock him out. That’s what Mike Pyle did at UFC on FX 3, however, scoring the KO 4:56 into the first round.

In a recent interview with the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show, Pyle discussed his win, where he stands in the welterweight division and more.

On his strategy against Neer: “We just knew in camp that he was going to bring it. We knew he was going to open up to try to hurt me. It was just a matter of being patient and making sure we kept our hands up and block everything he’s throwing and just stay on the move and wait for the right time to strike. That’s kind of what I did. I defended all of his punches pretty much. A couple of them stung me to the body, but for the most part he never got in clean on me and I was able to land.”

On where the win puts him in the UFC welterweight division: “I consider myself as a contender. I will continue to impress myself, my coaching staff and the UFC and the fans each time that I perform. There’s just been a few things that were lacking in my earlier career up to just a few fights ago that I’ve corrected and paid attention to and made sure that I go in 100-percent prepared. The last two fights have really shown that I have made some changes and worked on my striking ability. I have the striking ability. I have knockout power. It’s just a matter of meshing with a coach that will bring that out in me and make it a reality.”

On his team at Xtreme Couture: “I believe that it is still one of the elite gyms in MMA. At any given point in time you can find some of the top-caliber guys in there training. Myself, [Martin] Kampmann, Gray Maynard, Tyson Griffin, Jay Hieron, Randy [Couture]. We have a lot of talent that floats in and out. We have a strong amateur team that’s coming up. Those guys are doing awesome. They’re the future and they’re great. Dennis Davis is doing a great job with them as the amateur coach. Everything’s coming together well.”

On how he’ll know when it’s time to retire: “The way that will go down is when I just get out of the bed one day and my body can’t do it anymore. There will be a day, and I don’t really want to think about it, but there will be a day when I’m in the gym and it’s a struggle. That’s time. That’s when you know. I’m not struggling. If anything I’m getting better, like a fine wine. Right now I feel just as good as I did when I was in my late 20s.”

On his haircut: “That’s the mullet, man. That’s the Tennessee Waterfall. … It’s not getting too crazy. I’m a redneck, but I’m a civilized redneck. … I haven’t had hair in ages. It’s been years since I’ve actually had a head of hair on me, so I’m just going to keep it and just go with it. I don’t mind it. The wife likes it. I think my mullet was more popular in this fight than I was. I have a famous mullet now.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 1:12:45).

Donald Cerrone: We'll Just Keep Knocking Them Down Until We Get the Title (UFC Denver) | MMAWeekly.com

Embracing a hometown fight with Jorge Masvidal, Donald "Cowboy" Cerrone has a welterweight title fight in his sights for 2017. read news >>

For CES Fighter Dinis Paiva Knocking People Out 'Is a Lot of Fun' | MMAWeekly.com

For Dinis Paiva, knocking people out is a lot of fun. That's what he hopes to do to Jordan Espinosa on Friday at CES 41. read news >>

Ronda Rousey's Future with UFC Commented on by Dana White on 'UFC Unfiltered'

Following consecutive decisive losses, UFC President Dana White believes Ronda Rousey may never again step foot inside the Octagon. On the latest episode of UFC.com's UFC Unfiltered (h/t Dann Stupp o read news >>

UFC Fight Night 104's Jessica Andrade believes title shot looms with win over Angela Hill

Jessica Andrade believes she’s close to a strawweight title shot, and that a win on Saturday might put her over the top. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Yair Rodriguez believes Penn win has him creeping closer to UFC featherweight title shot

HOUSTON – After his brutal beatdown of UFC Hall of Famer B.J. Penn a few weeks ago, Yair Rodriguez can admit just taking the fight put him in a no-win situation. Filed under: Featured Videos, News, U read news >>

Demian Maia Issues Statement on Waiting for UFC Title Shot | MMAWeekly.com

Demian Maia believes he is next in line for a UFC welterweight title shot and is willing to wait for it. read news >>

Jacare Souza Believes Luke Rockhold is Avoiding Him, Remains Focused on the Belt (UFC 208 Video) | MMAWeekly.com

Jacare Souza believes Luke Rockhold is avoiding him and knows he has a tough fight with Tim Boetsch ahead, but he remains focused on a UFC title shot. read news >>

Jacare Souza: 'I'm the Champion Without the Title' | MMAWeekly.com

Third-ranked middleweight Ronaldo "Jacare" Souza wants a title shot, but believes he is already the champion, he just doesn't have the belt to prove it. read news >>

Ex-UFC champ Rafael dos Anjos considering Robbie Lawler, Nick Diaz for first welterweight fight

Rafael dos Anjos believes he’s earned the right to jump right into UFC title contention in the welterweight division.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

UFC champ de Randamie believes hand surgery inevitable, responds to Holm, 'Cyborg'

On a media teleconference Thursday, Germaine de Randamie discussed the likelihood of hand surgery and responded to criticism from both Holly Holm and “Cyborg” Justino.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>