#Bellator 185 #Gegard Mousasi #Alexander Shlemenko #Kristina Williams #Bellator MMA #Heather Hardy #Neiman Gracie #Zak Bucia #Conor McGregor #UFC 216 #Tony Ferguson #Venom #Fight Night Rotterdam

Charlie Brenneman just couldn’t get going against Anthony Johnson in October, losing 2:49 into the first round on a head kick.

He’ll look to bounce back Jan. 20, though, against Daniel Roberts at UFC on FX “Guillard vs. Miller.” Ahead of the bout, he joined the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show to discuss the matchup, his loss to Johnson and more.

On what went wrong against Johnson: “A thing that makes a good wrestler a great wrestler in MMA is the ability to throw punches and then transition to takedowns right off of that. In the Johnson fight, I looked like a novice. I don’t even know if I threw one punch. I was diving with my head down and my arms flared out. … I think I respected his standup way too much and then that threw me off of my game completely.”

On whether referee Mario Yamasaki intervened too quickly: “I’m kind of in the position of, it happened, so it really doesn’t matter what I or anyone else thinks. He definitely clocked me. The ref, Yamasaki, jumped in and he wasn’t looking at me. He was actually facing Anthony when he jumped in. I think he kind of assumed that I was going to be out cold. I wasn’t out cold. Did he definitely rock me? Yes, it rocked me. I don’t have any idea if I would have been able to grab him and hold him or if he would have just catapulted on top of me. It’s really hard to say. In hindsight, I’m healthy. I live to fight another day. That’s all right with me.”

On Daniel Roberts: “He’s durable, to say the least. He’s one of those guys that people might say, ‘Brenneman should beat him,’ but he’s so dangerous and explosive with his submissions. … If I go into it anything other than 100 percent, then I’m not going to be on the good end of it.”

On Roberts’ submission ability: “I don’t think I’ll be able to just sit [in the guard] and waste time comfortably. … He’s just really good in scrambles. Any shots that I take, any finishes that I take, it’s got to be right to dominant position. Anytime that I stop halfway, that’s going to leave me open and leave me vulnerable.”

On whether he’ll look to strike with Roberts: “This is a fight where, I think, with the proper game plan, I’ll be able to keep him guessing. I always say that three out of my last four opponents had bricks for hands. If you look at [Johny] Hendricks, [Rick] Story and Anthony Johnson, those are all heavy-duty strikers with heavy-duty knockout power. Roberts is a different type of fighter. Hopefully that will give me a little bit more liberty to do some striking.”

On the year he hopes to have in 2012: “Anthony kind of put me in my place and made me reassess how I was going to go about progressing. Beating Daniel will be solid for me. It will hopefully help me develop as a fighter. Then after that, I’m not looking to get a contender. I don’t know if I would deserve a contender right away, but it’s one of those things where I’m just looking at this year … to solidify myself and my career in the welterweight division.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 47:13).

Galleries

Anthony Johnson Fights

• a year ago

Comments

UFC Fight Night 117 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media

See the social media reactions from fighters at this past Friday’s UFC Fight Night 117 card in Japan. Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

Bellator 183 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media

See the social media reactions from fighters at this past Saturday’s Bellator 183 card in San Jose. Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News read news >>

Injury-Free Pat Curran Aching to Overcome a Broken Couple of Years at Bellator 184 | MMAWeekly.com

On October 6 in Thackerville, Oklahoma, Pat Curran (22-7) takes on John Teixeira (21-2-2) in a main card 145-pound bout at Bellator 184. read news >>

Watch the Bellator 184 Weigh-in Live at Noon ET | MMAWeekly.com

Bellator 184 takes place at Noon ET on Friday, October 6 in at the WinStar World Casino in Thackerville, Oklahoma. read news >>

UFC 216 results: Poliana Botelho outworks takedown-hungry Pearl Gonzalez for decision sweep

Pearl Gonzalez wanted takedowns throughout. She couldn’t get them, and Poliana Botelho made her pay.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Sean Shelby's Shoes: What's next for Kevin Lee, Ray Borg and UFC 216's losing fighters?

See who Kevin Lee, Ray Borg and more should fight next after their title-fight losses at UFC 216.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Bellator 184 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media

See how the winning and losing fighters from Bellator 184 reacted on social media outlets such as Twitter, Instagram and Facebook.Filed under: Bellator, Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News read news >>

UFC champ Daniel Cormier apologizes to Anthony Johnson: 'The reality is, I was wrong'

A few days after stirring up a social media back-and-forth, UFC champion Daniel Cormier thinks he shouldn’t have called Anthony Johnson soft: “Not everybody should view competition like I do.”Filed u read news >>

UFC 216 reactions: Winning and losing fighters (plus a few who fought to a draw) on social media

See how the winning and losing fighters from UFC 216 reacted on social media outlets such as Twitter, Instagram and Facebook.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Ex-Bellator champ Will Brooks says he's fighting at UFC Fight Night 121

After losing his latest matchup on a day’s notice, Will Brooks apparently will return to action next month at UFC Fight Night 121.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>