#UFC Fight Night 117 #UFC Fight Night 52 #Bellator 183 #Jessica Andrade #Claudia Gadelha #Ovince St. Preux #Gokhan Saki #Paul Daley #Fight Night Pittsburgh #Lorenz Larkin #Yushin Okami #Roy Nelson

MFC logo

While his win over Drew Fickett at this past Friday’s MFC 30 event in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada didn’t quite go as he anticipated, Brian Cobb is happy having the victory and have placed himself atop the promotion’s lightweight division.

“I wasn’t intending on making the fight exciting by putting myself in danger, but if that’s what I had to do to win this time, I think it was better than jumping in Drew’s guard and trying to play with fire there,” he told MMAWeekly.com.

Early on in their fight, Fickett was able to secure Cobb’s back standing and then the fight went to the ground. Cobb was able to defend Fickett’s submission attempts, although there was a moment where he was in serious trouble.

“He actually had the elbow sunk underneath my chin and I was able to shift my weight over to the left; and as we did I was able to catch his hand before it slid behind my head and lock it in,” said Cobb. “It was tight. I was gurgling and making sounds that didn’t sound too good.”

Cobb was able to persevere and eventually turned the tide on Fickett and ended the fight with a barrage of unanswered strikes, giving him the win.

“He made one little mistake with his legs, and I was able to reverse position and capitalize,” said Cobb. “I wasn’t expecting to end the fight then, but was hoping to maybe steal the round on a couple of judges’ scorecards or put him in a position where he was going to be really tired in that little break between rounds.

“The way I look at it, maybe he could have tried to look for a sweep or tried to pull me in and stop the punches, but he wasn’t throwing a lot my way and didn’t really give the referee any options (but to stop the fight).”

With the win, Cobb feels he’s now at or near the top of the MFC’s lightweight division, and is looking to go after the promotion’s title next.

“I feel like it was a number one contender’s fight for sure,” he said. “I feel like it definitely was his and I took it from him. I don’t know who I would be fighting, but it would be nice to get a shot at the MFC belt.

“In my humble opinion, prior to that fight, I felt that it was a high enough caliber fight that it could have been a title fight against Drew, but (a title fight) is definitely what I feel is next.”

The last fighter to physically hold the title is Antonio McKee, who is currently recovering from injury. Cobb feels McKee would present title-worthy opposition.

“I want to fight the best guy and I think that would be a good match-up,” he said. “It would be wrestler vs. wrestler; and while I know he’s real strong, I’ve got good jiu-jitsu.

“I’ll definitely try to be smarter if I fight McKee (than I was against Fickett), and know his strengths and play my game away from those.”

After a disappointingly short stint in the UFC, Cobb has put his career back in a place where he can truly capitalize on the opportunities presented him and become a star in his own right.

“I just want to thank all my sponsors, my wife, everybody here in Bakersfield and God for bringing me back home to California safely,” he concluded. “I want to thank everybody for helping get me some attention and help get my name out there more.

“The more often I can fight, the better it is for my career to build up a bigger fan base. I’m definitely looking to get myself out there worldwide and grow my name.”

Comments

Conor McGregor Feels Ref Stopped Floyd Mayweather Fight Too Early | MMAWeekly.com

Conor McGregor talks about his feelings on the referee stoppage and breaks down the Floyd Mayweather fight. read news >>

The Ultimate Fighter 26 Debut: Roxanne Modafferi Dominates in First Fight | MMAWeekly.com

When the Ultimate Fighting Championship brought in the women's 115-pound division in 2014, the promotion held a tournament on The Ultimate Fighter 20 to crown the inaugural strawweight champion. They read news >>

Zebaztian Kadestam Feels One Dimensional Ben Askren Has Holes in His Game | MMAWeekly.com

How do beat a man who's never been beaten? That's the question Zebaztian Kadestam must have been pondering every day in Sweden as he prepares to challenge Ben Askren for the ONE Championship welterwe read news >>

Michael Johnson Dropping to Featherweight, Wants to Face Jose Aldo | MMAWeekly.com

Ninth-ranked lightweight Michael Johnson wants to drop down to the featherweight division to take on 'new face,' and wants to fight former champion Jose Aldo. read news >>

UFC 215's Ilir Latifi not ready to judge Jon Jones during turbulent time for 205-pound division

Regardless of what happens with Jon Jones, Ilir Latifi believes the UFC light heavyweight division will thrive.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Valentina Shevchenko feels great ahead of UFC 215 title match – and has dance moves to show it

Valentina Schevchenko is over Amanda Nunes’ withdrawal from their UFC 213 title encounter: “What happened two months ago was so far away.”Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC Unfiltered Episode: Rickson Gracie, Renzo Gracie, and Amanda Nunes

Two members of the legendary Gracie family join the show as Renzo Gracie sits in with Jim and Matt. Plus, Amanda Nunes calls in to talk about her UFC 215 fight against Valentina Shevchenko and why sh read news >>

Amanda Nunes: 'I Must Finish Valentina Shevchenko' | MMAWeekly.com

Women's bantamweight champion Amanda Nunes is ready to make another statement to the division versus challenger Valentina Shevchenko at UFC 215. read news >>

UFC 215 results: Alex White picks apart, devastates Mitch Clarke on the feet

In his second fight in the UFC’s lightweight division, former featherweight Alex White shined, dominating Mitch Clarke on the feet en route to a second-round stoppage.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Rafael Dos Anjos Walks Through Neil Magny (UFC 215 Results) | MMAWeekly.com

Former lightweight champion Rafael dos Anjos moved up to the welterweight division for his last fight after suffering back-to-back losses in the 155-pound division. He defeated Tarec Saffiedine in Ju read news >>