#Conor McGregor #UFC 216 #GSP #Tony Ferguson #Nate Diaz #Kevin Lee #Nick Diaz #Fight Night Rotterdam #Michael Bisping #Darren Till #Holly Holm #Anderson Silva #Demetrious Johnson

Tim Boetsch’s comeback against Yushin Okami at UFC 144 was one of the most rewarding victories of his career.

Next time, though, he hopes winning doesn’t come down to a third-round rally.

“I don’t think you can script a fight like this,” Boetsch told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show. “It’s certainly a heck of a thing to make a comeback like that, but I’ll be OK if I don’t have to make another comeback like that anytime soon. I’m OK if I can just go out and beat a guy up in the first round. You won’t hear me complain.”

Boetsch was battered on the feet and cut open in the first round. In the second, Okami mounted him and did even more damage.

“I just wasn’t doing anything right the first two rounds,” Boetsch said. “Letting Yushin control the distance that first round -- I watched the video and I saw I was standing right at the end of his punches. He was able to connect with some hard shots.”

The Okami that Boetsch encountered in the cage wasn’t the one he anticipated.

“I really expected him to back up more as I started to pressure, but he stood in there and was throwing down,” Boetsch said. “That threw me off a little bit. Maybe that’s why it took me a few rounds to adjust, but certainly I made the necessary adjustments in the third round and got it done.”

Behind on the scorecards, Boetsch came out in the third looking for the finish. He got it too, just 54 seconds into the period after a series of brutal uppercuts in the clinch.

“I had done a lot of training towards avoiding the clinch situation with Yushin because he’s been able to lock down guys so easily,” Boetsch said. “He goes with that over-under tie and locks his hands behind his opponent’s back and pretty much shuts things down. I was a little hesitant to get in that close with him, but at the same time I wanted to be right in the pocket there to throw my strikes. That’s where I was when I landed the shots that led to the finish. Certainly when I was landing those uppercuts I was in total control. I was maintaining the distance with my left hand and was able to throw those uppercuts and put them where I wanted to.”

Boetsch is also putting himself where he wants to be in the middleweight division. Since dropping to 185 pounds, he is 3-0 and quickly moving into the title hunt.

“I’d like to think I’m somewhere closer to the top five,” Boetsch said. “I’m definitely looking forward to fighting all those guys up there. We’ll give it some time and see who’s next. … I definitely feel like I’m getting closer to where I want to be, and that’s in a fight for that belt.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 1:14:27).

Galleries

Yushin Okami Fights

Comments

Watch Yushin Okami Take Out Evan Tanner with a Devastating Knee (UFC KO of the Week) | MMAWeekly.com

Check out Yushin Okami's impressive knockout of former UFC middleweight champion Evan Tanner. read news >>

Ovince Saint Preux vs. Yushin Okami: UFC Japan Joe Rogan Preview | MMAWeekly.com

(Courtesy of UFC) UFC commentator Joe Rogan breaks down the main event of Fight Night Japan between Ovince Saint Preux and Yushin Okami. TRENDING > If Garbrandt or Dillashaw Pulls Out of UFC 217, Dom read news >>

UFC Fight Night 117 medical suspensions: No tapping gets Yushin Okami 45 days

UFC veteran Yushin Okami didn’t appear to have much choice in the matter, but his lack of tap against Ovince Saint Preux brings a 45-day suspension.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC Fight Night 117's Ovince Saint Preux didn't blink at switch to Yushin Okami

Ovince Saint Preux’s first thought when he heard he’d be fighting Yushin Okami at UFC Fight Night 117 was something like, “Oh yeah, that guy.”Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Thunder Seven - Defining Yushin Okami

At UFC RIO on August 27th, history could be made as Yushin Okami faces longtime middleweight king Anderson Silva in an opportunity to become the first Japanese champion in UFC history. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 117 results: More like 'Ovince Saint Flue': Yushin Okami put out cold in first

Ovince Saint Preux put Yushin Okami to sleep in the UFC-Japan main event with a Von Flue choke – his third such rare finish in the UFC. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Ovince Saint Preux Puts Yushin Okami to Sleep in UFC Japan Main Event | MMAWeekly.com

Ovince Saint Preux solidified his position in the upper crust of the light heavyweight division, submitting Yushin Okami at UFC Fight Night 117 on Friday. read news >>

Ovince Saint Preux Turns Out Yushin Okami's Lights (UFC Japan Fight Highlights) | MMAWeekly.com

In a record-setting performance, Ovince Saint Preux turned out the lights on Yushin Okami at UFC Japan. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 117 Results: Ovince Saint Preux Submits Yushin Okami

Ovince Saint Preux did it again. The UFC light heavyweight submitted Yushin Okami in Friday night's main event at UFC Fight Night 117 in Japan via Von Flue choke. The Von Flue submission was only the read news >>

UFC Fight Night 117 draws reported 8,571 attendance in Japan

Friday’s UFC Fight Night 117 event drew an announced attendance of 8,571 in Japan. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>