#UFC Fight Night 83 #Conor McGregor #Jon Jones #Luke Rockhold #Nate Diaz #David Branch #Michael Bisping #UFC 215 #Saturday Night Fights

Jessica Aguilar was thrilled to defeat Megumi Fujii in a battle of top 115-pound fighters at Bellator Fighting Championships 69, but the American Top Team representative believes she still has room to improve.

In an interview with the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show, Aguilar discussed how she can get better, beating Fujii and more.

On the win over Fujii: “This fight means the world to me. It was my goal from the beginning when I got into this sport to become the best, and here I am today.”

On the game plan against Fujii: “I was trying to keep it standing to frustrate her as much as possible, and when she went to the ground, defend and ground-and-pound and even try submissions.”

On what she was thinking after losing both contacts in the second round: “I’m squinting my eyes a little more. I can’t see. Obviously my corner knows, but I’m thinking, ‘Oh my gosh.’ There’s different things going through your mind, but once I was close to Megumi, I could see what was going on. … I could see her when I was close to her, but from far away, I couldn’t see her across the cage.”

On the unanimous decision: “My trainer talked about me winning, I think, the first and the second and losing the third round. I did watch the fight actually yesterday. That’s what I thought it looked like as well. I won the first two rounds and lost the third round. … As a fighter, I think of the damage I’m giving and what I’m taking. I wasn’t getting a lot, but every hit I would land on her, it was causing damage. It was connecting.”

On why she boxes but doesn’t kick often: “There’s a lot of things that I need to improve on still and that I’m still working on. … Every time I’m training, it’s for specific fights. There’s no time [for] kind of putting aside some time and just training kicks, kicks, kicks. I would absolutely love to learn how to get better with my kicks.”

On whether she’d give Fujii a rematch: “Just as long as I have work, I’m blessed. Whoever they offer me, and if they make sense and if it’s a good opportunity, I’ll take it. They’ve done a great job. They’ve brought only the best together inside of the Bellator cage at 115 pounds. I’m sure that they’re going to continue doing that. I don’t have any target on anyone.”

On her loss to Zoila Gurgel: “I should have finished the fight. It happened. Whatever happened, happened, and I’ve moved on from that. If a rematch ever comes in the future -- anything that happens in the future and makes sense, then I’ll take it.”

On Ronda Rousey being a flag-bearer for women’s MMA: “I think she deserves it. She’s done her part. She’s a great athlete. She has her skills. She’s doing awesome with everything she’s doing. Congratulations to her. It only helps all of us.”

On being the top 115-pound fighter: “That’s who I am, I think. I kind of still don’t believe it, but you know what? It’s true. I am now the number one female fighter in my weight class and I’m proud of saying that. It’s been a hard six years. I came a long way. A lot of training, a lot of up and downs, but here I am today, enjoying it. Now I’m riding the high.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 1:09:04).

Comments

Ray Borg says he's going to end Demetrious Johnson's career in UFC 215 title fight

Ray Borg believes he’s not only going to upset UFC flyweight champ Demetrious Johnson, but also retire him at UFC 215.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Conor McGregor Hints at Nate Diaz Trilogy Fight After Defeat to Floyd Mayweather

Conor McGregor has hinted a trilogy bout with Nate Diaz could be next for him after losing to Floyd Mayweather Jr. by technical knockout at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada, on Saturday. McGre read news >>

Evander Holyfield Believes the Mayweather vs. McGregor Fight Was Stopped Early | MMAWeekly.com

Following Floyd "Money" Mayweather's 10th-round stoppage of UFC champion Conor McGregor on Saturday, a lot of people thought the fight was stopped prematurely. read news >>

Conor McGregor Believes One Uppercut Was a Split Second Away from Knocking Out Floyd Mayweather | MMAWeekly.com

On Saturday night, Conor McGregor managed to land more punches in less than 10 rounds than Manny Pacquiao did over 12 rounds in their respective fights with Floyd Mayweather. McGregor was a much heav read news >>

Conor McGregor Says Floyd Mayweather Has 'Strong Tools' He Could Take into MMA

UFC lightweight champion Conor McGregor believes Floyd Mayweather Jr. has some "strong tools" that'd enable him to be a success in MMA. McGregor had his first professional boxing fight on Saturday ag read news >>

Conor McGregor says with better prep for 12 rounds, he could have beat Floyd Mayweather

Conor McGregor believes cardio got the best of him against Floyd Mayweather, and with one change in prep, he could’ve come out on top.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

UFC Fight Night 115's Stefan Struve out to prove once more 'rankings are bull(expletive)'

Stefan Struve believes a win over Alexander Volkov puts him right where he wants to be when it comes to challenging for Stipe Miocic’s belt.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Struve believes he's best he's ever been

Almost nine years and 18 fights into his UFC career, Stefan Struve is finally starting to show just how dangerous he can be inside the Octagon. The 29-year-old returns to action Saturday, headlining read news >>

Ray Borg says he'll easily make weight for UFC 215 title fight; Demetrious Johnson believes him

“I’ve corrected my mistakes,” Ray Borg says of his past weight-cut struggles.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>