David Heath UFCThe fact that former UFC fighter David “Headhunter” Heath won his last fight this past March isn’t what makes it special. It’s the fact that he had the fight at all that makes it all the more important.

“I didn’t think I was going to fight again, which is why the break was so long,” said Heath of a 17-month gap between fights. “I was concentrating on my career (outside of fighting).

“I’d never really had much of a layoff in my whole career, so it was good to take a break and step back, heal up and get away from the sport a little bit.”

While he was happy to get a second-round TKO over Sidiah Parker, Heath wasn’t completely pleased with how he fought.

“I came out of it 100-percent unscathed, but I wasn’t too thrilled with my performance,” he said. “I was a little too inactive in the first round, too much feeling out and didn’t really throw a lot of combos.

“It gave me a good base though and something to work off of. That is something I’d like to do in this fight and that’s be more active.”

Heath will get a chance to put forth an effort more to his liking this Saturday as he takes on Chat “Hitman” Herrick at King of the Cage: Unification on Saturday night in Tulsa, Okla.

“I feel like I’m better than him in all facets of the sport,” said Heath of Herrick. “I think I’m going to have a very decisive edge in the stand-up part of it, but I don’t think that’s going to last long though, because I’m sure he’s going to try to take me down and make a wrestling match of it relatively quick.

“I’ve worked a lot on sharpening up my wrestling and I’ve always felt decent about my submission game, so no matter where the fight goes, I should have a pretty good advantage.”

If the fight does manage to stay standing for any length of time, Heath feels he’ll be able to showcase a side of his game that fans haven’t had much chance to see yet.

“I’d gotten complacent with working shots and getting out 100-percent safe, so I want to be a little more aggressive and take advantage of some angles and the technique advantage I’m going to have,” said Heath. “I want to push the pace a bit more.

“My cardio is as good as it’s been in the last couple fights and maybe in years than it’s been, so I want to go out and show people that I’m a scary striker and not just a precision striker.”

While he’s not quite sure what will follow in 2013, Heath feels there’s still gas enough left in the tank to keep things going if the opportunities come his way.

“I do have some time I can take some time off from work next year, so I could be open to doing more travelling and take some fights away from my hometown, but I can’t really say what the future holds for me,” said Heath. “This could be my last fight for all I know, but I doubt it, and I am a little more optimistic about my future.”

Stay tuned to MMAWeekly.com for all the latest MMA news and updates.

Pena vs. Shevchenko Results: Winner and Reaction from UFC on Fox 23

With Ronda Rousey's career possibly over, the UFC women's bantamweight division is officially trying to move on. The first step in doing so? Determining the next challenger for reigning champion Aman read news >>

UFC on FOX 23 video highlights: Jason Knight vs. Alex Caceres

In the biggest fight of his career, Jason Knight came through with flying colors, and “The Kid” may have graduated to manhood at UFC on FOX 23.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Jimi Manuwa vs. Corey Anderson headlines UFC Fight Night 107 in London

With less than two months until the event, UFC Fight Night 107 finally has a headliner. Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Josh Koscheck vs. Mauricio Alonso added to Bellator 172 main card with Piccolotti-Primus canceled

Next month’s Bellator 172 card has lost a fight but gained two more, including the long-delayed promotional debut of former UFC title challenger Josh Koscheck.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

The Korean Zombie, Cult Hero Brawler, Finally Returns to the UFC

After a long layoff due to injury and a mandatory two-year stint in the South Korean army, Chan Sung Jung, the Korean Zombie, finally makes his return to the UFC this Saturday for UFC Fight Night 104 read news >>

Who ya got?!? Do fighters think 'Korean Zombie' has a shot at UFC Fight Night 104 after long layoff?

Who are their fellow fighters picking to win in Saturday’s UFC Fight Night 104 headliner between Chan Sung Jung and Dennis Bermudez?Filed under: Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Andrey Koreshkov vs. Fernando Gonzalez among Bellator 174 additions

Next month’s Bellator 174 fight card has a slew of new additions, including a pair of main-card bouts.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Holm, de Randamie look for career-defining wins; Silva, Brunson want more at UFC 208

Everyone that steps into the Octagon does so for their own reasons, but next Saturday night at Barclays Center, Holly Holm and Germaine de Randamie will enter the UFC’s eight-sided proving ground wit read news >>

Tecia Torres says Rawlings was good opponent after layoff but expects top-10 foe next

Back in the win column after a one-sided display over Bec Rawlings, UFC Fight Night 104 winner Tecia Torres wants top-10 competition next: “I think I showed that I’m still in the uprush.”Filed under: read news >>

Scratched from UFC 208 due to eye issue, Luis Henrique says his career options now limited

Luis Henrique said his career options have dwindled after he was pulled from Saturday’s UFC 208 lineup. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>