#Bellator 185 #Gegard Mousasi #Alexander Shlemenko #Bellator MMA #Kristina Williams #Heather Hardy #Conor McGregor #UFC 216 #Tony Ferguson #Neiman Gracie #Fight Night Rotterdam #Zak Bucia #GSP #UFC Fight Night 118

David Heath UFCThe fact that former UFC fighter David “Headhunter” Heath won his last fight this past March isn’t what makes it special. It’s the fact that he had the fight at all that makes it all the more important.

“I didn’t think I was going to fight again, which is why the break was so long,” said Heath of a 17-month gap between fights. “I was concentrating on my career (outside of fighting).

“I’d never really had much of a layoff in my whole career, so it was good to take a break and step back, heal up and get away from the sport a little bit.”

While he was happy to get a second-round TKO over Sidiah Parker, Heath wasn’t completely pleased with how he fought.

“I came out of it 100-percent unscathed, but I wasn’t too thrilled with my performance,” he said. “I was a little too inactive in the first round, too much feeling out and didn’t really throw a lot of combos.

“It gave me a good base though and something to work off of. That is something I’d like to do in this fight and that’s be more active.”

Heath will get a chance to put forth an effort more to his liking this Saturday as he takes on Chat “Hitman” Herrick at King of the Cage: Unification on Saturday night in Tulsa, Okla.

“I feel like I’m better than him in all facets of the sport,” said Heath of Herrick. “I think I’m going to have a very decisive edge in the stand-up part of it, but I don’t think that’s going to last long though, because I’m sure he’s going to try to take me down and make a wrestling match of it relatively quick.

“I’ve worked a lot on sharpening up my wrestling and I’ve always felt decent about my submission game, so no matter where the fight goes, I should have a pretty good advantage.”

If the fight does manage to stay standing for any length of time, Heath feels he’ll be able to showcase a side of his game that fans haven’t had much chance to see yet.

“I’d gotten complacent with working shots and getting out 100-percent safe, so I want to be a little more aggressive and take advantage of some angles and the technique advantage I’m going to have,” said Heath. “I want to push the pace a bit more.

“My cardio is as good as it’s been in the last couple fights and maybe in years than it’s been, so I want to go out and show people that I’m a scary striker and not just a precision striker.”

While he’s not quite sure what will follow in 2013, Heath feels there’s still gas enough left in the tank to keep things going if the opportunities come his way.

“I do have some time I can take some time off from work next year, so I could be open to doing more travelling and take some fights away from my hometown, but I can’t really say what the future holds for me,” said Heath. “This could be my last fight for all I know, but I doubt it, and I am a little more optimistic about my future.”

Stay tuned to MMAWeekly.com for all the latest MMA news and updates.

Comments

UFC Fight Night 117 results: Shinsho Anzai returns from 2-year layoff, outpoints Luke Jumeau

Shinsho Anzai came back after two years away from the sport to take a unanimous decision from Luke Jumeau at UFC Fight Night 117 in Japan.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Viral sensation Sabina Mazo delivers another stunning high-kick knockout

Five months after a vicious head-kick KO earned Sabina Mazo viral backing, she has repeated the feat.Filed under: AXS TV Fights, Featured, Videos read news >>

What debut? Aaron Pico just hit the reset button on an again-promising career

Want to make people forget about your embarrassing debut? Send your next opponent crashing to the canvas.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News read news >>

What Is Benson Henderson's Legacy After Bellator 183?

The Bellator career of Benson Henderson has been turbulent. He's enjoyed two title fights in two separate weight classes since jumping ship from the UFC in early 2016, but he lost them both. After hi read news >>

Shinsho Anzai breaks down into tears discussing what UFC-Japan win means to him

A two-year layoff combined with pre-fight words from his wife made for an emotional time after Shinsho Anzai’s UFC Fight Night 117 win.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Max Holloway's Blessed UFC Career

"It’s cool having this belt and being a champion, but I want to make sure my son is set. I want him to go to college. I don’t want him to fight. Fighting is insane." read news >>

On Matt Brown vs. Diego Sanchez, and 2 opposite approaches to the close of a career

Matt Brown performed an honest career calculation that led him to his decision to retire after his next fight. His opponent, Diego Sanchez, seems to have chosen the opposite path. For many aging figh read news >>

What hits like a heavyweight, but moves like a welterweight? A driven Derrick Lewis, apparently

After an entire career hearing that he’ll be in trouble should his fights go to the ground, UFC 216’s Derrick Lewis is not worried about Fabricio Werdum’s grappling: “I believe it’s just going to rea read news >>

Conor McGregor Teases His UFC Return, Names Several Possible Opponents | MMAWeekly.com

Conor McGregor is nearly ready to resume his UFC career but he's still undecided on who he will face when he steps back inside the Octagon. The reigning UFC lightweight champion took part in a Q&A in read news >>

Andrea Lee releases statement on scrapped UFC 216 bout

Due to a past drug-testing issue, Andrea Lee will have to wait six months to make her debut in the UFC women’s flyweight division.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>