MENU
#UFC Fight Night 118 #Darren Till #Donald Cerrone #Artem Lobov #Andre Fili #Karolina Kowalkiewicz #Bellator 185 #Gegard Mousasi #Alexander Shlemenko #Jan Blachowicz #Devin Clark #Kristina Williams #KSW 40 #MMA Rocks #Oskar Piechota


A week of misfortune turned to disaster for Affliction Entertainment on Friday, as the promotion canceled Affliction “Trilogy,” which had been scheduled for Aug. 1 at the Honda Center in Anaheim, Calif.

“Finding an opponent for the number one-ranked MMA heavyweight champion in such a short period of time was a huge endeavor, and I’m thrilled at the amount of fighters willing to take on this challenge,” Affliction Entertainment Vice President Tom Atencio said in a news release. “But in the end, we just didn’t have enough time to promote a new fight to our standards.”

SI.com reported the news first Friday morning, and Sherdog.com confirmed shortly after. The cancellation -- which could spell the end of Affliction's year-long run as a mixed martial arts promotion -- comes on the heels of heavyweight Josh Barnett's failed drug test, which forced him out of the “Trilogy” main event against Fedor Emelianenko on Wednesday. Barnett, 32, tested positive for a banned anabolic steroid and was denied licensure by the California State Athletic Commission.

Promoters scrambled to find a replacement opponent for Emelianenko and reportedly considered middleweight Vitor Belfort, light heavyweight prospect Muhammed Lawal and heavyweights Brett Rogers, Paul Buentello, Jeff Monson and Bobby Lashley.

Atencio declined to comment further when reached by Sherdog.com.

Loretta Hunt contributed to this story, which was updated at 2:10 p.m. ET to include Atencio's comments.

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.

Comments

Show Comments

Related News

Diaz vs. McGregor III Odds: Betting Lines Opened for Potential Trilogy Fight

  • 19 days ago
  • 8 views

Who knows when Conor McGregor (21-3) will enter the UFC's Octagon again, whether it will be at the end of 2017 or some time in 2018. However, that has not stopped speculation of who McGregor will fig read news >>

Dana White Denies Conor McGregor vs. Nate Diaz Trilogy In the Works | MMAWeekly.com

  • 15 days ago
  • 8 views

Dana White says the lightweight title 'has to' be unified. read news >>

Coach: Conor McGregor 'too clean' for Tony Ferguson; fans prefer Nate Diaz trilogy

  • 12 days ago
  • 49 views

Who’s next for UFC lightweight champion Conor McGregor – new interim titleholder Tony Ferguson or two-time former foe Nate Diaz?Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Conor McGregor's Coach Prefers Nate Diaz Trilogy Over Title Unification Bout with Tony Ferguson | MMAWeekly.com

  • 12 days ago
  • 28 views

Conor McGregor hasn't made any decisions yet regarding his next fight but it's safe to assume that the reigning UFC lightweight champion will have an opinion when he finally sits down with the promot read news >>