#UFC 217 #Conor McGregor #Michael Bisping #GSP #UFC Fight Night 55

Aaron Simpson will begin life after the UFC against Josh Burkman on March 23 at World Series of Fighting 2. The undercard streams live and free on Sherdog.com.

Ahead of the bout, he joined the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Cheap Seats” show to discuss his opponent, WSOF and more.

On Burkman: “Josh is seasoned. He’s been in the game for a long time. He’s got some great wins and he’s well rounded. I think maybe the most intriguing thing about the fight is in a lot of my fights, I’ve looked to exploit weaknesses and I don’t really see a weakness with Josh Burkman. It’s an interesting fight for me.”

On WSOF: “I think what the World Series of Fighting is doing is big. Think of the names that are coming in. I think it’s the biggest talk right now in MMA besides obviously the UFC and their cards. They’re the new biggest thing, and the names they’re bringing in is exciting.”

On WSOF signing Fitch: “That is a big thing for me. Jon and I were supposed to fight in the UFC, and he pulled out with an injury. It’s kind of a long time coming in a way. We’ll see. I’ve got a guy to fight right now, but it’s definitely nice to know that the World Series is moving in the right direction and they want to be a competitor. They’re doing the right things to get themselves out there and bringing the right people in and surrounding themselves with the right fighters. I’m excited.”

On dropping to 170 pounds: “I should have done this from the beginning. Things happen for a reason, and I met George Lockhart for a reason, to get this weight off, and be able to get down to 170, but I should have done it from the beginning. That being said, I’ve fought a lot of big dudes. It seems like everybody I fought in the UFC were 205 pounders at one time, dropping down, and I was a small 185. I had some success, a fair amount of success there. Guys like Mark Munoz, I felt like it could have went either way. Guy like Ronny Markes, who had almost 30 pounds on me, I feel could have gone either way. That being said, I’m at the perfect weight now and I’m excited to be where I am at 170.

On getting cut from the UFC: “It kind of threw me for a little bit that we had to do the contract deal with the UFC because I feel I can still beat anybody in the world at welterweight. I’m fast enough, I’m strong enough. I’m not moving old and rickety. When I get out there, I’m pretty fluid with everything I’m doing.”

On being 38 years old: “I’ve always said I’m young in this sport. It has nothing to do with me being old, being 38 years old, because I don’t have the wear and tear on my body that a lot of guys that have been in this sport have. I still have the hunger.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 28:41).

Comments

UFC Fight Night 119's Niko Price might be underdog on paper, but truth will come out in cage

UFC Fight Night 119’s Niko Price doesn’t care about his underdog status, because the truth will out in the cage. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Ahead of UFC 217, James Vick has some serious questions about how the rankings work

James Vick doesn’t get how he can be 7-1 in the UFC’s lightweight division and still find himself outside the top 15 in the rankings.Filed under: Featured, News, Radio Highlight, UFC, Videos read news >>

Aiemann Zahabi has some questions for Sean Shelby after UFC 217

Aiemann Zahabi has waited eight months for his second UFC fight. After UFC 217, he doesn’t expect to wait that long again.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Abel Trujillo on 'gimme fight' vs. John Makdessi at UFC on FOX 26: 'It's going to be a fatality'

Abel Trujillo doesn’t think John Makdessi will get past the first round of their lightweight meeting at UFC on FOX 26.Filed under: News, Radio Highlight, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC-Norfolk winner Sean Strickland doesn't feel bad after draw flipped in his favor

Sean Strickland doesn’t feel bad for Court McGee after the decision was overturned in their bout at UFC Fight Night 120.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Listen to UFC 217's Jorge Masvidal explain why fighting at MSG means so much

For Jorge Masvidal, it simply doesn’t get better than fighting at Madison Square Garden because of the rich history.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC light heavyweight contender Volkan Oezdemir arrested on battery charge in Florida

UFC light heavyweight contender Volkan Oezdemir may have a hurdle to cross that doesn’t deal with getting a title shot.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Nadia Kassem wants Paige VanZant flyweight fight after missing 115 pounds in UFC debut

Nadia Kassem acknowledged that missing 115 pounds was “not professional,” but now she wants Paige VanZant to fight her at flyweight.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Ineligible Frank Camacho implores UFC to give Damien Brown his share of 'Fight of Night' bonus

Frank Camacho had an idea after the UFC’s return to Sydney wrapped up, and it involved trying to make his opponent an extra $50,000.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

Volkan Oezdemir Arrested on Aggravated Battery Charges

UFC light heavyweight Volkan Oezdemir was arrested Saturday and charged with aggravated battery causing bodily harm or disability in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. Jail records show Oezdemir is being held read news >>