#UFC Fight Night 83 #Saturday Night Fights #GGG #Luke Rockhold #David Branch #Golovkin vs. Canelo #HBO Boxing PPV - Golovkin vs. Canelo #Golovkin vs Canelo #UFC 215

Jake Ellenberger UFC 126UFC on FX 5 welterweight Jake “The Juggernaut” Ellenberger has a chip on his shoulder.

Back in June, The Juggernaut suffered the harshest loss of his career after eating a devastating knee and ground and pound from Martin Kampmann.

The 28-year-old didn’t stay at home and sulk for long.  He knew he had to change up his training to get back into being considered a contender once more. In order to get back to prominence in the division, however, Ellenberger must erase his first-ever loss in MMA, to Jay Hieron, and do so in exciting fashion at the Target Center on Friday night.

“The first time we fought, I didn’t even take training seriously,” Ellenberger told MMAWeekly Radio.

“I didn’t even take my career seriously.  He took me down and won a decision, but this fight I think it’s going to be an exciting fight.  I’m looking forward to it for sure.

“It’s very unsettling the way the last fight went, obviously.  I made a lot of changes from the last fight to this fight.  There’s a lot of things I could’ve done personally and I think I have addressed those for this fight.  It’s more than revenge.  I want to make a statement.  It’s what I want to do to get back into being a contender.”

Revenge remains a forethought in Ellenberger’s mind as he readies for the co-main event in Minneapolis.  It’s all about performing in devastating fashion and leaving the UFC fans in awe.

Even though he’s favored to win, Ellenberger is a little bit bothered by the fans and media completely writing Hieron off.  He knows that Hieron is a cardio machine and is a world-class fighter even after he takes it to him on Friday night.

“If anybody knows the sport of MMA, they know that Jay Hieron is not a bum.  He’s not a guy that they brought in from the street.  He’s had a lot of fights.  He’s had a lot of high-level fights.  There’s absolutely no easy fights in the UFC.  For me, I’m focusing on what I can get better at and being confident in what I know.

“I’ve watched his last few fights, he’s definitely a different fighter.  He’s grown.  I don’t think he’s a completely different fighter, no.  He’s definitely made some improvements.  This whole training cycle has been focused on me winning in every possible transition and in every possible scenario.  Jay’s going to be in shape and he’s going to be ready.”

The only thing that weighs on Ellenberger’s mind is being a top contender at welterweight.  And after UFC on FX 5 is over, The Juggernaut believes he’ll have reminded us all how he’s a threat in the division.

Stay tuned to MMAWeekly.com for all your UFC on FX 5 fight coverage.

Comments

Alex Nicholson picks up heavyweight win, aims for UFC return

Four-time UFC veteran Alex Nicholson is looking for a return to the sport’s top promotion, but he’s hoping to do so in a new division.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

Trading Shots: On toughness, tapping to strikes, and the things that only fighters know

David Branch tapped to strikes at UFC Fight Night 116, which usually earns fighters some criticism from fans and peers. But when others fight past the point of good sense, was this actually the smart read news >>

Watch Ovince Saint Preux Make Quick Work of Shogun Rua (UFC Japan Free Fight) | MMAWeekly.com

Watch Ovince Saint Preux make quick work of Mauricio "Shogun" Rua with a quick, brutal finish. read news >>

UFC Fight Night: Rockhold vs. Branch Fantasy Rewind

At the end of the night, the favorites ruled, with eight fighters coming away victorious according to the picks made by fantasy players. Here's your Pittsburgh Fantasy Rewind. read news >>

Daniel Cormier Tells TMZ He Wants to Fight Jon Jones Again

• a day ago

UFC light heavyweight champion Daniel Cormier revealed he would be happy to fight Jon Jones for a third time. Jones was stripped of the title he won against Cormier at UFC 214 after the bout was rule read news >>

MMAjunkie reader predictions: Make your picks for UFC Fight Night 117 in Japan

• a day ago

We want your picks for UFC Fight Night 117 event in Japan, which features a new main event between Yushin Okami and Ovince Saint Preux.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

'Shogun' Rua reveals struggle to try to keep UFC-Japan spot after knee injury early in camp

• a day ago

Ex-UFC champ Mauricio “Shogun” Rua apologized to the fans and opponent Ovince Saint Preux after pulling out of UFC Fight Night 117 in Japan.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Report: Rematch between ex-UFC champ Jose Aldo and Ricardo Lamas targeted for December

• a day ago

According to Brazil’s Combate.com, former featherweight titleholder Jose Aldo will get his wish of a 2017 octagon return.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

After first UFC knockout, Gilbert Burns wants lightweights to know he's dangerous everywhere

• a day ago

Gilbert Burns already had the titles to show for his grappling, but his walk-off knockout at UFC-Pittsburgh should also serve notice.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Daniel Spitz says his 24-second knockout at UFC-Pittsburgh was just how he drew it up

• a day ago