#Bellator 194 #Roy Nelson #Matt Mitrione #Conor McGregor #UFC 221 #Brandon Rios #UFC Fight Night 125 #Yoel Romero #Donald Cerrone #Yancy Medeiros

A.J. McKee Expecting to Move One Step Closer to Title Shot at Bellator 182 | MMAWeekly.com

After a string of finishes in his first four bouts, featherweight A.J. McKee Jr. had two straight decisions before getting things back on track with a first round TKO of Dominic Mozzotta at Bellator 178 in April.

“I would say my first couple decisions were a little rough around the edges,” McKee told MMAWeekly.com. “But getting back into the gym, getting back serious and locking and down and seeing what’s ahead, and locking down and seeing what’s ahead has put it all in perspective.

“My last fight shows that. It shows what me being focused and me locking down on everything is capable of doing. It was just a great feeling to go out there and put on a great show and put on a nice highlight reel finish.”

Over the course of his first couple years as a pro, McKee feels like he’s made effort every time he fights to bring something new to the table; the credit for which he gives to his father Antonio, a 15-year veteran of the sport with nearly 40 fights under his own belt.

“You can’t just say I fight like this or fight like that, every fight I’m coming out and showing something new, a new skillset, and you never know what you’re going to get,” said McKee.

“My father was the originator of this. He’s the originator of my style. He’s got all the glory. He gets all the props. He gets all the credit. Me, it’s just making sure that our last name gets the respect and legacy it deserves in this sport.”

At Bellator 182 on August 25 in Verona, New York, McKee (6-0) will look to build another finishing streak when he takes on Blair Tugman (10-6) in a main card 145-pound bout.

“I know he’s a grinder,” McKee said of Tugman. “I’m pretty sure he’s not going to want to stand up with me. We’ve worked a lot of takedown defense, but even if he does take me down, the submissions are there.

“For me it’s going to be a fun fight. I’m going to work my hands, work on my feet, and if he gets the takedown, work off my back, work my submissions or cut him up with some elbows on my way back up to my feet.”

With a very clear timeframe of when he’d like to win his first major MMA championship, McKee is looking to get out of his fight with Tugman unscathed and continue his march towards his goal.

“I want to get that belt around my waist before April of 2018 and I want to be around 11-0 for that,” said McKee. “Of course, get me in there a couple more times by the end of this year and get some more highlight reels.”

Comments

What was that Grotesque Growth on Rory MacDonald's Shin? | MMAWeekly.com

Just what the heck was that thing popping out of Rory MacDonald's shin at Bellator 192? read news >>

Heather Hardy to Face Ana Julaton at Bellator 194 and Later in the Boxing Ring | MMAWeekly.com

A flyweight feature fight pitting renowned boxing champions Heather Hardy against Ana Julaton has been added to the main card of Bellator 194. read news >>

Rory MacDonald One of Several Fighters Receiving 180-Day Suspension at Bellator 192 | MMAWeekly.com

Chael Sonnen won a rather unexciting, three-round unanimous decision over Quinton "Rampage" Jackson at Bellator 192 on Saturday night in Inglewood, Calf. The lack of damage inflicted by either fighte read news >>

Bellator 194: Roy Nelson vs. Matt Mitrione (Countdown, Episode 1) | MMAWeekly.com

Take an in-depth look at Bellator 194, which features a Heavyweight Grand Prix quarterfinal match-up pitting Roy Nelson against Matt Mitrione. read news >>

Roy Nelson Pushes the Limit at Bellator 194 Weigh-in; Heather Hardy Misses Weight | MMAWeekly.com

Watch the Bellator 194: Mitrione vs. Nelson 2 official weigh-in, as Roy Nelson pushed the heavyweight limit and Heather Hardy missed weight. read news >>

Heather Hardy Looking to 'Beat Ana Julaton Up Like She Owes Me Money' at Bellator 194 | MMAWeekly.com

Heather Hardy will look to rebound in her first fight of 2018 when she faces Ana Julaton in a Bellator 194 main card 125-pound bout on Friday. read news >>

Bellator 194: Roy Nelson vs. Matt Mitrione (Countdown, Episode 2) | MMAWeekly.com

Take an in-depth look at Bellator 194, which features the second quarterfinal match-up of the Heavyweight Grand Prix: Roy Nelson vs. Matt Mitrione. (Episode 2) read news >>

Khabib Nurmagomedov Won't Give Conor McGregor Immediate Title Shot | MMAWeekly.com

Khabib Nurmagomedov believes there is no confusion about the UFC lightweight title that he is fighting for when he meets Tony Ferguson in the UFC 223 headliner on April 7 in Brooklyn, N.Y. When UFC p read news >>

What in the World was a Nearly Naked Ryan Bader Doing at a College Basketball Game? | MMAWeekly.com

What in the world was Bellator champion Ryan Bader doing nearly naked alongside a pair of Pikachus at an Arizona State basketball game? read news >>

Watch Mike Kimbel's pro debut at Bellator 194 with a sick – and scary – slam KO

• a day ago

Mike Kimbel admitted 30 minutes after his fight that, yeah, the way he won was a little scary. read news >>