#UFC Fight Night 55 #Fabricio Werdum #Marcin Tybura #UFC 217 #GSP #Michael Bisping

After a string of finishes in his first four bouts, featherweight A.J. McKee Jr. had two straight decisions before getting things back on track with a first round TKO of Dominic Mozzotta at Bellator 178 in April.

“I would say my first couple decisions were a little rough around the edges,” McKee told MMAWeekly.com. “But getting back into the gym, getting back serious and locking and down and seeing what’s ahead, and locking down and seeing what’s ahead has put it all in perspective.

“My last fight shows that. It shows what me being focused and me locking down on everything is capable of doing. It was just a great feeling to go out there and put on a great show and put on a nice highlight reel finish.”

Over the course of his first couple years as a pro, McKee feels like he’s made effort every time he fights to bring something new to the table; the credit for which he gives to his father Antonio, a 15-year veteran of the sport with nearly 40 fights under his own belt.

“You can’t just say I fight like this or fight like that, every fight I’m coming out and showing something new, a new skillset, and you never know what you’re going to get,” said McKee.

“My father was the originator of this. He’s the originator of my style. He’s got all the glory. He gets all the props. He gets all the credit. Me, it’s just making sure that our last name gets the respect and legacy it deserves in this sport.”

At Bellator 182 on August 25 in Verona, New York, McKee (6-0) will look to build another finishing streak when he takes on Blair Tugman (10-6) in a main card 145-pound bout.

“I know he’s a grinder,” McKee said of Tugman. “I’m pretty sure he’s not going to want to stand up with me. We’ve worked a lot of takedown defense, but even if he does take me down, the submissions are there.

“For me it’s going to be a fun fight. I’m going to work my hands, work on my feet, and if he gets the takedown, work off my back, work my submissions or cut him up with some elbows on my way back up to my feet.”

With a very clear timeframe of when he’d like to win his first major MMA championship, McKee is looking to get out of his fight with Tugman unscathed and continue his march towards his goal.

“I want to get that belt around my waist before April of 2018 and I want to be around 11-0 for that,” said McKee. “Of course, get me in there a couple more times by the end of this year and get some more highlight reels.”

Comments

Logan Storley Will Be Looking To Finish Matt Secor at Bellator 186 | MMAWeekly.com

Logan Storley (6-0) will face his toughest challenge yet when he takes on veteran Matt Secor (9-4) in a Bellator 186 preliminary 170-pound bout on Friday. read news >>

Zach Freeman Looking to Show He's To Be Taken Seriously at Bellator 186 | MMAWeekly.com

On November 3, Zach Freeman (9-2) will look for his second Bellator win when he faces off against veteran Saad Awad (20-9) in a main card 155-pound bout. read news >>

Undefeated Ilima-Lei Macfarlane Rocketing Towards Title at Bellator 186 | MMAWeekly.com

Ilima-Lei Macfarlane will go for her first MMA title when she takes on Emily Ducote for the flyweight title in the Bellator 186 co-main event on Friday. read news >>

Conor McGregor Slaps Official Trying to Push Him off the Cage at Bellator 187 (VIDEO) | MMAWeekly.com

Conor McGregor has become the central focus of the events unfolding at Bellator 187 on Friday and he obviously wasn't even fighting on the card. Following a fight where McGregor's teammate Charlie Wa read news >>

Fighters React to Conor McGregor Pushing Referee, Slapping Official | MMAWeekly.com

Conor McGregor climbed over the cage at Bellator 187, shoved a referee, and slapped a commission official... and lit up Twitter. read news >>

AJ McKee Wins Main Event, but Conor McGregor Steals the Show at Bellator 187 | MMAWeekly.com

AJ McKee survived a tough battle to win the Bellator 187 main event on Friday in Dublin, Ireland, but it was Conor McGregor who stole the show. read news >>

Conor McGregor Expresses No Remorse for Incident at Bellator in Now Deleted Post | MMAWeekly.com

Conor McGregor explained what happened in Dublin after he leapt into the cage during a Bellator event on Friday read news >>

Chael Sonnen: Conor McGregor Pissed Off the Wrong Official | MMAWeekly.com

Chael Sonnen weighs in on Conor McGregor's transgressions at Bellator 187 and how it might be more serious than it is entertainment. read news >>

Conor McGregor Issues Apology For His Behavior at Bellator 187 in Ireland | MMAWeekly.com

Conor McGregor has broken his silence after being involved in a melee in Ireland last week after he jumped into the cage at Bellator 187. The incident unfolded after McGregor's teammate Charlie Ward read news >>

Referee Marc Goddard Responds to Conor McGregor's Actions at Bellator 187 in Ireland | MMAWeekly.com

Referee Marc Goddard has broken his silence just days after an altercation with UFC lightweight champion Conor McGregor in Ireland at Bellator 187. The situation unfolded after Goddard appeared to st read news >>