#UFC Fight Night 126 #FNG #Conor McGregor #Donald Cerrone #Yancy Medeiros #M-1 Global #UFC Australia #UFC Fight Night 57

AJ McKee Looking to Pick Brandon Phillips Apart at Bellator 171 | MMAWeekly.com

Looking back on his 2016, featherweight up and comer AJ McKee feels like it was a very productive year, even though he feels he could have done more.

In three fights, McKee was able to pick up all wins, including two finishes, to keep his undefeated streak going at six wins to start his career. Still, there’s always room for improvement in his mind.

“I really got my name out there and proved some points and showed that I’ve got a job to do and a set of goals that I’ve set and that I’m going to do what I’ve got to do to get to it,” McKee told MMAWeekly.com.

“The last fight (against Ray Wood in December) didn’t go as planned, but there was a lot going on with that fight. I still went in there and fought and came out with a win. It was good to know even on my worse day I can pull through and come out with the W.”

TRENDING > Tito Ortiz and Dana White Buried the Hatchet Following Retirement Bout

While he is not completely satisfied with his unanimous decision win over Wood, McKee is happy to have gotten his first full 15-minute fight out of the way in his pro career.

“I always wondered if I could fight three fives at that pace, so to be able to go in there and do it was pretty easy,” said McKee. “I felt like after the fight I could fight two more fives after that. It was a great experience to have and build on.”

AJ McKee vs Brandon Phillips - Bellator 171McKee (6-0) will seek to keep his winning ways going when he takes on Brandon Phillips (6-2) in a main card 145-pound bout at Bellator 171 in Mulvane, Kan., on Friday.

“He’s 5’6” with a 59” reach, so I’ve got the height and reach advantage,” McKee said of Phillips. “I’ve got to stay long and keep him away and make him come to me. Just pick him apart if he tries to get to me and put him down.”

For 2017, McKee wants to further both his own legacy, and that of his father Antonio, by working his way towards a featherweight title shot.

“I definitely have to live up to (my father’s) legacy,” said McKee. “He’s always had in mind to make me a better version of him. I really thank him every day for that; thinking ahead and making sure I was prepared and ready to do this.

“(The goal for 2017 is) keep getting these W’s and get back to getting some finishes and get prepared to get that strap around my waist.”

Follow MMAWeekly.com on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram

Comments

Rory MacDonald One of Several Fighters Receiving 180-Day Suspension at Bellator 192 | MMAWeekly.com

Chael Sonnen won a rather unexciting, three-round unanimous decision over Quinton "Rampage" Jackson at Bellator 192 on Saturday night in Inglewood, Calf. The lack of damage inflicted by either fighte read news >>

Bellator 194: Roy Nelson vs. Matt Mitrione (Countdown, Episode 1) | MMAWeekly.com

Take an in-depth look at Bellator 194, which features a Heavyweight Grand Prix quarterfinal match-up pitting Roy Nelson against Matt Mitrione. read news >>

Roy Nelson Pushes the Limit at Bellator 194 Weigh-in; Heather Hardy Misses Weight | MMAWeekly.com

Watch the Bellator 194: Mitrione vs. Nelson 2 official weigh-in, as Roy Nelson pushed the heavyweight limit and Heather Hardy missed weight. read news >>

Heather Hardy Looking to 'Beat Ana Julaton Up Like She Owes Me Money' at Bellator 194 | MMAWeekly.com

Heather Hardy will look to rebound in her first fight of 2018 when she faces Ana Julaton in a Bellator 194 main card 125-pound bout on Friday. read news >>

Bellator 194: Roy Nelson vs. Matt Mitrione (Countdown, Episode 2) | MMAWeekly.com

Take an in-depth look at Bellator 194, which features the second quarterfinal match-up of the Heavyweight Grand Prix: Roy Nelson vs. Matt Mitrione. (Episode 2) read news >>

Watch Mike Kimbel's pro debut at Bellator 194 with a sick – and scary – slam KO

Mike Kimbel admitted 30 minutes after his fight that, yeah, the way he won was a little scary. read news >>

Bellator 194 medical suspensions: Ex-champ Liam McGeary's left knee needs clearance

Ex-champ Liam McGeary needs doctor’s clearance after getting hobbled by Vadim Nemkov at Bellator 194. read news >>

Tywan Claxton comes to grips with disappointment over Bellator 194 TKO win

Tywan Claxton wasn’t thrilled with his TKO win in his second pro fight at Bellator 194, but knows he has to cut himself some slack. read news >>

Matt Mitrione calls bull(expletive) on alleged Roy Nelson third-round tactic at Bellator 194

Matt Mitrione has an explanation for what went down in the third round of his fight with Roy Nelson at Bellator 194. read news >>

Matt Mitrione Narrowly Defeats Roy Nelson (Bellator 194 Results) | MMAWeekly.com

The Bellator MMA cage was at the Mohegan Sun Arena in Uncasville, Connecticut on Friday for Bellator 194: Mitirone vs. Nelson 2. The event was headlined by a quarterfinal bout in the Bellator Heavywe read news >>