#UFC 217 #UFC Fight Night 55 #GSP #Michael Bisping #Conor McGregor

Looking back on his 2016, featherweight up and comer AJ McKee feels like it was a very productive year, even though he feels he could have done more.

In three fights, McKee was able to pick up all wins, including two finishes, to keep his undefeated streak going at six wins to start his career. Still, there’s always room for improvement in his mind.

“I really got my name out there and proved some points and showed that I’ve got a job to do and a set of goals that I’ve set and that I’m going to do what I’ve got to do to get to it,” McKee told MMAWeekly.com.

“The last fight (against Ray Wood in December) didn’t go as planned, but there was a lot going on with that fight. I still went in there and fought and came out with a win. It was good to know even on my worse day I can pull through and come out with the W.”

TRENDING > Tito Ortiz and Dana White Buried the Hatchet Following Retirement Bout

While he is not completely satisfied with his unanimous decision win over Wood, McKee is happy to have gotten his first full 15-minute fight out of the way in his pro career.

“I always wondered if I could fight three fives at that pace, so to be able to go in there and do it was pretty easy,” said McKee. “I felt like after the fight I could fight two more fives after that. It was a great experience to have and build on.”

AJ McKee vs Brandon Phillips - Bellator 171McKee (6-0) will seek to keep his winning ways going when he takes on Brandon Phillips (6-2) in a main card 145-pound bout at Bellator 171 in Mulvane, Kan., on Friday.

“He’s 5’6” with a 59” reach, so I’ve got the height and reach advantage,” McKee said of Phillips. “I’ve got to stay long and keep him away and make him come to me. Just pick him apart if he tries to get to me and put him down.”

For 2017, McKee wants to further both his own legacy, and that of his father Antonio, by working his way towards a featherweight title shot.

“I definitely have to live up to (my father’s) legacy,” said McKee. “He’s always had in mind to make me a better version of him. I really thank him every day for that; thinking ahead and making sure I was prepared and ready to do this.

“(The goal for 2017 is) keep getting these W’s and get back to getting some finishes and get prepared to get that strap around my waist.”

Follow MMAWeekly.com on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram

Comments

Logan Storley Will Be Looking To Finish Matt Secor at Bellator 186 | MMAWeekly.com

Logan Storley (6-0) will face his toughest challenge yet when he takes on veteran Matt Secor (9-4) in a Bellator 186 preliminary 170-pound bout on Friday. read news >>

Zach Freeman Looking to Show He's To Be Taken Seriously at Bellator 186 | MMAWeekly.com

On November 3, Zach Freeman (9-2) will look for his second Bellator win when he faces off against veteran Saad Awad (20-9) in a main card 155-pound bout. read news >>

Undefeated Ilima-Lei Macfarlane Rocketing Towards Title at Bellator 186 | MMAWeekly.com

Ilima-Lei Macfarlane will go for her first MMA title when she takes on Emily Ducote for the flyweight title in the Bellator 186 co-main event on Friday. read news >>

Conor McGregor Slaps Official Trying to Push Him off the Cage at Bellator 187 (VIDEO) | MMAWeekly.com

Conor McGregor has become the central focus of the events unfolding at Bellator 187 on Friday and he obviously wasn't even fighting on the card. Following a fight where McGregor's teammate Charlie Wa read news >>

Fighters React to Conor McGregor Pushing Referee, Slapping Official | MMAWeekly.com

Conor McGregor climbed over the cage at Bellator 187, shoved a referee, and slapped a commission official... and lit up Twitter. read news >>

AJ McKee Wins Main Event, but Conor McGregor Steals the Show at Bellator 187 | MMAWeekly.com

AJ McKee survived a tough battle to win the Bellator 187 main event on Friday in Dublin, Ireland, but it was Conor McGregor who stole the show. read news >>

Conor McGregor Expresses No Remorse for Incident at Bellator in Now Deleted Post | MMAWeekly.com

Conor McGregor explained what happened in Dublin after he leapt into the cage during a Bellator event on Friday read news >>

Chael Sonnen: Conor McGregor Pissed Off the Wrong Official | MMAWeekly.com

Chael Sonnen weighs in on Conor McGregor's transgressions at Bellator 187 and how it might be more serious than it is entertainment. read news >>

Conor McGregor Issues Apology For His Behavior at Bellator 187 in Ireland | MMAWeekly.com

Conor McGregor has broken his silence after being involved in a melee in Ireland last week after he jumped into the cage at Bellator 187. The incident unfolded after McGregor's teammate Charlie Ward read news >>

Referee Marc Goddard Responds to Conor McGregor's Actions at Bellator 187 in Ireland | MMAWeekly.com

Referee Marc Goddard has broken his silence just days after an altercation with UFC lightweight champion Conor McGregor in Ireland at Bellator 187. The situation unfolded after Goddard appeared to st read news >>