#UFC Fight Night 118 #Darren Till #Donald Cerrone #Artem Lobov #Andre Fili #Bellator 185 #Karolina Kowalkiewicz #Gegard Mousasi #Alexander Shlemenko #Jan Blachowicz #Devin Clark #Kristina Williams #Bellator MMA #Heather Hardy #Sam Alvey

Michael Chandler’s second title defense will occur approximately a month later than originally expected, as Dave Jansen has withdrawn from their 155-pound championship bout at Bellator 96 due to an ACL injury.

With Jansen sidelined indefinitely, promotion officials announced on Sunday that Chandler will defend his belt against Season 8 lightweight tournament champion David Rickels at Bellator 97 on July 31 at the Santa Ana Star Center in Rio Rancho, N.M. It is the second title bout to be featured on the card: Welterweight ruler Ben Askren will defend his 170-pound crown against Andrey Koreshkov that same evening.

Bellator 96, which takes place at the Winstar World Casino in Thackerville, Okla., on June 19, will now be headlined by a light heavyweight tournament matchup pitting former Strikeforce titlist Muhammed Lawal against UFC veteran Seth Petruzelli.

“It was just sort of a freak injury that happened in grappling, I heard a pop and after visiting the doctor, my fears were confirmed,” Jansen said in a release. “It’s really devastating to me knowing I was so close to getting my shot, but I talked to (Bellator CEO) Bjorn (Rebney) and the Bellator team, and they confirmed I’ll be getting my title shot when I’m healthy and ready to go, so I’m going to recover and train as hard as I ever have, and hopefully when I get back into the cage it’s more rewarding than ever.”

Jansen earned his shot at Chandler by beating Magomed Saadulaev, Ricardo Tirloni and Marcin Held to win the promotion’s Season 7 lightweight bracket. The Sports Lab representative has won six straight fights since exiting the WEC on the heels of back-to-back losses to Kamal Shalorus and Ricardo Lamas.

Rickels, meanwhile, made it as far as the Season 6 semifinals as a welterweight before electing to try his hand at 155 pounds. The move paid off for “The Caveman” as he defeated Lloyd Woodard, Jason Fischer and Saad Awad to win Bellator’s Season 8 lightweight tournament.

“I’m already back in the gym getting ready for the biggest test of my career,” Rickels said. “I was prepared for another few months off with Jansen already in line for his title shot, but when I got the news I was pumped because I got to enjoy myself for a while after the tournament, but now I’m ready to fight for that belt. Chandler is going to bring a huge challenge, but I know I need to focus on my takedown defense, and just push the pace. I’ve got to hurt Mike early, let him know I’m not playing around. I think he fights off of confidence more than anything else, so I’m looking to put a lot of doubt into his head early in this fight. Either way, I just can’t wait until July 31.”

Comments

Patricky Freire says he should get title shot before Michael Chandler

Bellator lightweight Patricky “Pitbull” Freire believes he’s earned the right to cut the line of contenders at 155 pounds.Filed under: Bellator, News, Videos read news >>

Injury-Free Pat Curran Aching to Overcome a Broken Couple of Years at Bellator 184 | MMAWeekly.com

On October 6 in Thackerville, Oklahoma, Pat Curran (22-7) takes on John Teixeira (21-2-2) in a main card 145-pound bout at Bellator 184. read news >>

Stream or download MMAjunkie Radio #2532 with Michael Chandler and Walt Harris

Stream or download Tuesday’s episode of MMAjunkie Radio with guests Michael Chandler and Walt HarrisFiled under: Bellator, News, Radio, UFC read news >>

Bizarre Bellator title triangle: Michael Chandler, Patricky Freire, Brent Primus battle on social media

Patricky Freire thinks he should fight for Brent Primus’ title. Michael Chandler is in the conversation. And they’re all on social media.Filed under: Bellator, Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News read news >>

James Gallagher injury prompts Bellator 187 reshuffle, including A.J. McKee to main event

Irish featherweight James Gallagher is injured, and his rival A.J. McKee is stepping into the spotlight.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Ex-Bellator champ Liam McGeary 'broke my bloody thumb,' calls out top 205ers

Remember that injury that knocked Liam McGeary out of next week’s Bellator 185 event? We now have an X-ray of it.Filed under: Bellator, Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News read news >>

Chaos erupts between Lorenz Larkin, Paul Daley at Bellator 183 weigh-ins

The beef between Lorenz Larkin and Paul Daley turned physical at the Bellator 183 ceremonial weigh-ins.Filed under: Bellator, Featured, News, Videos read news >>

Paul Daley and Lorenz Larkin Nearly Come to Blows at Bellator 183 Weigh-in (video) | MMAWeekly.com

Paul Daley and Lorenz Larkin's fight almost didn't make it all the way to Bellator's famous flying cage. read news >>

Goiti Yamauchi not worried about 'so-so' and 'average' Adam Piccolotti at Bellator 183

Goiti Yamauchi finds himself matched up with unbeaten opponent in Adam Piccolotti tonight at Bellator 183.Filed under: Bellator, News, Videos read news >>

Adam Piccolotti Plans To Put It All Together Against Goiti Yamauchi at Bellator 183 | MMAWeekly.com

On September 23, Adam Piccolotti (9-0) will step into the cage for the first time in 10 months when he takes on Goiti Yamauchi (21-3) at Bellator 183. read news >>