#Conor McGregor #UFC Fight Night 83 #Nate Diaz #Luke Rockhold #Jon Jones #Michael Bisping #David Branch #UFC 215 #Saturday Night Fights

Renan “Barao” could emerge as a title contender with a victory at UFC 138. | Photo: Sherdog.com

Renan “Barao” has spent much of his career competing in relative obscurity, but a 27-fight unbeaten streak tends to get one noticed.

The 24-year-old Nova Uniao prospect will meet American Top Team’s Brad Pickett in the UFC 138 “Leben vs. Munoz” co-main event on Saturday at the LG Arena in Birmingham, England. The winner could find himself thrust into title contention in a division starved for new-blood challengers for reigning bantamweight champion Dominick Cruz.

Barao made his promotional debut at UFC 130 in May, as he recorded his 16th consecutive victory and defeated former WEC champion Cole Escovedo by unanimous decision at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas. A deft finisher, the Brazilian jiu-jitsu black belt has recorded 18 of his 26 career victories by knockout, technical knockout or submission.

In this exclusive interview with Sherdog.com, Barao discusses the preparation for his all-important showdown with Pickett, training alongside UFC featherweight champion Jose Aldo and moving down to the 135-pound division.

Barao: My training was 100 percent. I did a lot of physical preparation, wrestling, boxing and jiu-jitsu. I’m training with the entire Nova Uniao staff and helped those who were fighting before me. They helped me, too. It was great.

Barao: I arrived here four months ago. I’m living in an apartment that Andre Pederneiras leaves for people who live outside of Rio so they can train here. I’m there with Ronys Torres, Carlos [Alexandre] “Indio” [Pereira] and some other athletes on the team. We’re all very good friends. We help each other, and that’s pretty cool.

Brad Pickett File Photo

Pickett has won 10 of 11.

Barao: Pickett is a tough, experienced guy who always fights well. I’m sure that it will be a great fight. Although this is his UFC debut, he’s experienced and has fought in major promotions like the WEC and Cage Rage. It will be a great challenge.

Barao: The UFC has an atmosphere that’s very different from what was in the WEC. I thought I had a good debut, but I could have fought better. During the fight, I found that the way to victory was the takedown, so I unleashed my game. I thought the public and UFC officials liked it, but I think I could have won it earlier without taking it to a decision.

Barao: No, I don’t think about the title. I’m very focused on Pickett because he’s a very tough opponent. When the opportunity comes to fight for the title, I’ll grab it with tooth and nail, but my focus right now is on Pickett.

Barao: Absolutely, Aldo is a great mirror for me. He’s a great warrior and gives me a lot of advice. He arrived yesterday and has already been in the gym today, talking to me about my fight and giving me some tips. He’s a great champion.

Barao: In fact, when I fought in Brazil, I had no proper diet. I came into the fight, lost the weight and got myself ready. Not anymore. Now, I outline a more professional approach and follow a diet. I’ve hit that weight in three fights, and I’ve even come in below the weight limit. I’m well-adjusted, and finding that balance is not a problem for me. It’s boring, but it’s not a problem (laughs).

Galleries

Renan Barao Fights

• a year ago

Comments

ONE Championship 60 highlights: Ben Askren maintains title, perfect career mark

ONE Championship welterweight title holder Ben Askren is still unbeaten more than nine years into his professional career.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos read news >>

Rick Glenn Not Going To Be 'So Timid' at UFC 215 Against Unbeaten Gavin Tucker | MMAWeekly.com

Rick Glenn (19-4-1) takes on Gavin Tucker (10-0) in a preliminary 145-pound bout at UFC 215 on Saturday. read news >>

Ben Askren Faces Shinya Aoki in Retirement Fight in November | MMAWeekly.com

It appear Ben Askren's mixed martial arts career is nearly at an end. The reigning and defending ONE Championship welterweight champion will step back into the cage in November and then call it a car read news >>

A look at UFC champ Demetrious Johnson's career stats and records, including the big one

UFC flyweight champion and pound-for-pound great Demetrious Johnson returns to the octagon on Saturday in search of history in UFC 215’s headlining act. Check out his amazing career stats.Filed under read news >>

Finishing Up Training Camps (UFC 215 Embedded) | MMAWeekly.com

On Episode 1 of UFC 215 Embedded, the four fighters competing for titles finish up their training camps ahead of Saturday's event in Edmonton. read news >>

Elite Eight - Demetrious Johnson Fights

Demetrious “Mighty Mouse” Johnson isn’t just one of the most dominant champions competing in the Octagon at the moment; he may be one of the most dominant ever. As we await Saturday night’s card in E read news >>

Just 1 year into pro career, UFC's Cynthia Calvillo looks for perfect 5-0 calendar year

A year into her pro MMA career, Cynthia Calvillo is already making a splash in the UFC. She hopes to conclude 2017 with a perfect 5-0 mark.Filed under: News, Radio Highlight, UFC, Videos read news >>

Cody Garbrandt, Urijah Faber: T.J. Dillashaw trained dirty, ended Chris Holdsworth's career

Cody Garbrandt and Urijah Faber explain why T.J. Dillashaw is at least partially to blame for ending Chris Holdsworth’s career.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured, Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Derek Brenon Looking to Remain Undefeated at LFA 22 | MMAWeekly.com

On Friday in Broomfield, Colorado, unbeaten Derek Brenon (5-0) takes on Boimah Karmo (4-2) in a main card 145-pound bout at LFA 22. read news >>

UFC champ Cris Cyborg issued California boxing license, appears serious about in-ring career

UFC champion Cris Cyborg seems poised to find out if her MMA dominance can translate to the boxing ring.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>