Renan “Barao” could emerge as a title contender with a victory at UFC 138. | Photo: Sherdog.com

Renan “Barao” has spent much of his career competing in relative obscurity, but a 27-fight unbeaten streak tends to get one noticed.

The 24-year-old Nova Uniao prospect will meet American Top Team’s Brad Pickett in the UFC 138 “Leben vs. Munoz” co-main event on Saturday at the LG Arena in Birmingham, England. The winner could find himself thrust into title contention in a division starved for new-blood challengers for reigning bantamweight champion Dominick Cruz.

Barao made his promotional debut at UFC 130 in May, as he recorded his 16th consecutive victory and defeated former WEC champion Cole Escovedo by unanimous decision at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas. A deft finisher, the Brazilian jiu-jitsu black belt has recorded 18 of his 26 career victories by knockout, technical knockout or submission.

In this exclusive interview with Sherdog.com, Barao discusses the preparation for his all-important showdown with Pickett, training alongside UFC featherweight champion Jose Aldo and moving down to the 135-pound division.

Barao: My training was 100 percent. I did a lot of physical preparation, wrestling, boxing and jiu-jitsu. I’m training with the entire Nova Uniao staff and helped those who were fighting before me. They helped me, too. It was great.

Barao: I arrived here four months ago. I’m living in an apartment that Andre Pederneiras leaves for people who live outside of Rio so they can train here. I’m there with Ronys Torres, Carlos [Alexandre] “Indio” [Pereira] and some other athletes on the team. We’re all very good friends. We help each other, and that’s pretty cool.

Brad Pickett File Photo

Pickett has won 10 of 11.

Barao: Pickett is a tough, experienced guy who always fights well. I’m sure that it will be a great fight. Although this is his UFC debut, he’s experienced and has fought in major promotions like the WEC and Cage Rage. It will be a great challenge.

Barao: The UFC has an atmosphere that’s very different from what was in the WEC. I thought I had a good debut, but I could have fought better. During the fight, I found that the way to victory was the takedown, so I unleashed my game. I thought the public and UFC officials liked it, but I think I could have won it earlier without taking it to a decision.

Barao: No, I don’t think about the title. I’m very focused on Pickett because he’s a very tough opponent. When the opportunity comes to fight for the title, I’ll grab it with tooth and nail, but my focus right now is on Pickett.

Barao: Absolutely, Aldo is a great mirror for me. He’s a great warrior and gives me a lot of advice. He arrived yesterday and has already been in the gym today, talking to me about my fight and giving me some tips. He’s a great champion.

Barao: In fact, when I fought in Brazil, I had no proper diet. I came into the fight, lost the weight and got myself ready. Not anymore. Now, I outline a more professional approach and follow a diet. I’ve hit that weight in three fights, and I’ve even come in below the weight limit. I’m well-adjusted, and finding that balance is not a problem for me. It’s boring, but it’s not a problem (laughs).

Gavin Tucker Keeps Unbeaten Streak Intact (UFC Halifax Fight Highlights) | MMAWeekly.com

UFC newcomer Gavin Tucker kept his unbeaten streak intact by defeating Sam Sicilia at UFC Fight Night 105 on Sunday in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada. read news >>

The many 'ifs' of Derrick Lewis, and the UFC winning streak that should not be

Heavyweights like Derrick Lewis aren’t supposed to win six fights in a row in the UFC. Not in the year 2017. But somehow the man who seems too one-dimensional to be a serious contender keeps smashing read news >>

UFC Denver: Shevchenko vs. Pena Weigh-in Replay | MMAWeekly.com

The 24 fighters competing on Saturday's UFC on Fox 23 fight card weighed in on Friday in Denver, Colorado. See how the fighters looked on the scales. read news >>

UFC on FOX 23 results: Sam Alvey stretches streak to 4, takes decision from Nate Marquardt

DENVER – It may not have been the most exciting fight of his career, but Sam Alvey got what is no doubt the biggest win of his career.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Jorge Masvidal Stops Donald "Cowboy" Cerrone (UFC Denver Results) | MMAWeekly.com

Jorge Masvidal ended Donald "Cowboy" Cerrone's four-fight winning streak in the UFC Denver co-main event on Saturday, finished Cerrone in the second round. read news >>

Pena vs. Shevchenko Results: Winner and Reaction from UFC on Fox 23

With Ronda Rousey's career possibly over, the UFC women's bantamweight division is officially trying to move on. The first step in doing so? Determining the next challenger for reigning champion Aman read news >>

UFC on FOX 23 video highlights: Jason Knight vs. Alex Caceres

In the biggest fight of his career, Jason Knight came through with flying colors, and “The Kid” may have graduated to manhood at UFC on FOX 23.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC on Fox 23 Results: 5 Burning Questions Heading into Fight Night 104

UFC on Fox 23 is in the books. The results are as follows: Main Card Valentina Shevchenko def. Julianna Pena via second-round submission Jorge Masvidal def. Donald Cerrone via second-round TKO Franci read news >>

Joseph Benavidez still fixated on champ Johnson, but would fight Reis in title-eliminator

Riding a six-fight winning streak that goes back to his second loss to champ Demetrious Johnson, Joseph Benavidez still eyes a third title shot: “Demetrious is the only fight I want, always.”Filed un read news >>

Abel Trujillo full media scrum ahead of UFC Fight Night 104

HOUSTON – Lightweight Abel Trujillo is on a nice winning streak but continues to fly under the radar. He’s hoping to change that.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>