#Alexa Grasso #Tatiana Suarez #Demian Maia #Kamaru Usman #Fight Night London #UFC 224 #Enrique Barzola #Brandon Davis #Claudio Puelles #Brandon Moreno #Alexandre Pantoja #Andrea Lee #Veronica Macedo #Jared Cannonier #Dominick Reyes

18 hours after accepting he'd never be in the UFC, Matt Bessette was in the UFC

At 33 years old, Matt Bessette wasn’t ready to walk away from MMA, but he felt like he probably should.

Nearly 30 fights into his pro career, the UFC had yet to call, and he just assumed they probably never would.

“Wednesday of last week, I’m in the kitchen; it’s night time, and I’m with my wife, and we’re talking about what’s next,” Bessette told MMAjunkie. “Right now, I’m trying to get a full-time police job at a few gigs. It’s always something I’ve wanted to do. I have a bachelor’s degree in criminal justice, so it’s always been kind of on the backburner just because of MMA. We’re talking, and I’m like, ‘I don’t want this to be on the backburner anymore. I think this is going to be my last fight. I feel like, at times, I’m holding the family back from just really moving on.”

Bessette was preparing to defend his CES MMA featherweight title at a February event, and he decided he would call it a career after that. After all, he had come close to a UFC berth this past July, competing in the main event of the inaugural Dana White’s Contender Series card, but he broke and dislocated his thumb on the very first punch he threw and ended up being finished in the first round by Kurt Holobaugh.

The result snapped a seven-fight winning streak for Bessette, and he figured the injury was the added insult he needed to realize the UFC wasn’t in his future.

“You go there, you train all this time – years and years and years – you finally get your shot in front of Dana White, and boom, first punch you land,” Bessette said. “It just takes the wind right out of your sails, and you’re like, ‘What the hell, man? What do I have to do to get some luck around here?'”

Apparently, the answer may be simply accepting the UFC isn’t going to call. Because 18 hours after reaching that conclusion, Bessette (22-7 MMA, 0-0 UFC) reached out to UFC matchmaker Sean Shelby via email after hearing that Enrique Barzola (13-3-1 MMA, 3-1 UFC) needed an opponent at UFC 220, which takes place Saturday at TD Garden in Boston.

“I said, ‘Barzola can get these hands,’ and that’s all I said,” Bessette recalled.

Shelby gave him the opportunity, and while it means he now competes on a little more than one week’s notice, Bessette had one more piece of luck on his side.

“I don’t know why this happened – it was just kind of a fate-like thing, but for the past year-and-a-half, maybe, I’ve been looking at him,” Bessette said of Barzola. “I’ve been looking at guys very, very regularly, and he was one of the few that I was looking at, thinking to myself how awesome of a first fight in the UFC that would be. So I knew all about him even before his name popped up on Twitter as an opponent. I’ve studied him, what I need to do, and this is a really, really good fight for me.”

While Bessette understandably declined to reveal his strategy, he did say he’s identified two specific areas where he believes he can attack Barzola and plans on doing exactly that.

It’s been an incredible turn of events in an incredibly short period of time, but Bessette is thankful for the opportunity. And after considering a change in career course, Bessette said he’s again focused 100 percent on his fighting future.

“Less than 18 hours later, I get a call that I’ve got a fight in the UFC; it was the most incredible thing,” Bessette said. “I can’t even tell you what that feeling was like. It was life changing.

“I’m not (expletive) going anywhere. You’re going to have to rip this Reebok gear off me because I’m not leaving the UFC for a while.”

For more on UFC 220, check out the UFC Rumors section of the site.

Comments

Francis Ngannou vs. Derrick Lewis in the Works for UFC 226 in Las Vegas | MMAWeekly.com

A long simmering feud between Francis Ngannou and Derrick Lewis will finally come to a head when the heavyweights clash at UFC 226 in Las Vegas on July 7. Sources close to the matchup confirmed the b read news >>

Former UFC champ Matt Serra joins 2018 UFC Hall of Fame class

Former UFC welterweight champion Matt Serra is getting a spot in the UFC Hall of Fame. read news >>

Watch The UFC Fight Night Atlantic City: Weigh-in Live at 5 PM ET | MMAWeekly.com

The 11 fighters competing on Saturday's UFC Fight Night 128 fight card in Atlantic City will officially weigh in on Friday. read news >>

Cat Zingano vs. Marion Reneau Heads Trio of Bouts Added to UFC Event in Boise, Idaho

Cat Zingano vs. Marion Reneau heads a trio of bouts, including the debut of Khabib Nurmagomedov's cousin, to the UFC Fight Night event in Boise, Idaho. read news >>

Who ya got?! Fighters predict Kevin Lee vs. Edson Barboza at UFC Atlantic City

Who are fighters in Atlantic City picking to win the UFC Fight Night 128 main event between Kevin Lee and Edson Barboza? read news >>

Video replay: UFC Fight Night 128 weigh-ins in Atlantic City

Check out a replay of the UFC Fight Night 128 ceremonial weigh-ins, which took place today in New Jersey. read news >>

Report: Ngannou vs. Lewis, Holloway vs. Ortega Set for UFC 226

UFC's annual show during the weekend of July 4 will reportedly feature a double main event. Per MMAjunkie's Mike Bohn , Max Holloway will defend the UFC featherweight title against Brian Orteg read news >>

Here's the UFC 225 official poster – and, yes, CM Punk is included

It appears CM Punk’s return is receiving third billing on a stacked UFC 225 card. read news >>

Video: Watch UFC Fight Night 128's post-event press conference on MMAjunkie

Check out a live stream of the UFC on FOX 26 post-event press conference. read news >>

How to watch UFC Fight Night 128 today: Fight card, start time, online results, where to stream Barboza vs. Lee

The UFC returns to Atlantic City for the first time since 2014 with tonight’s UFC Fight Night 128 event. Here’s how to watch. read news >>

FOX Sports analyst Yves Edwards breaks down Kevin Lee vs. Edson Barboza at UFC Atlantic City

The UFC Fight Night 128 headliner between Edson Barboza and Kevin Lee presents an intriguing clash of styles. read news >>

Here's the official poster for the UFC's first event in Utica, N.Y.

Headliners Jimmie Rivera and Marlon Moraes will have “no excuses” on June 1. read news >>

UFC Chile main, co-main events fall apart with Santiago Ponzinibbio, Volkan Oezdemir out

The UFC plans to bring two notable fights atop its debut card Chile have gone awry with UFC Fight Night 129 losing its top two bouts. read news >>

Watch the UFC Fight Night 128 Post-Fight Press Conference | MMAWeekly.com

Watch the UFC Fight Night 128: Barboza vs. Lee post-fight press conference shortly after the conclusion of the night's main event in Atlantic City, N.J. read news >>

Twitter reacts to Kevin Lee's victory over Edson Barboza at UFC Fight Night 128

See the top Twitter reactions to Kevin Lee’s win over Edson Barboza in the UFC Fight Night 128 main event. read news >>

Despite missing weight, Kevin Lee not interested in moving to 'muddy' welterweight division

Unless the UFC decides to implement a 165-pound division, don’t expect Kevin Lee to change weight classes. read news >>