Zoila_Frausto_GurgelAt one time Zoila “Warrior Princess” Frausto-Gurgel was the shining star of Bellator’s female MMA division, but following an acrimonious parting of ways, she is ready to move on to new challenges with a new promotion.

“For me it was really a blessing in disguise,” said Gurgel of her split with Bellator. “There were a lot of things that happened, a lot of things were said, a lot of things were done and not done, and I was more than happy to be able to walk away from it all just to be with Invicta FC.

“It’s such a relief for me to be with a promotion that cares so much about their fighters and appreciates the hard work we put in as much as Invicta does. Just to be able to be with them and fight for them is an amazing thing for me and I’m more than happy to go to work.”

Not only is Gurgel starting off a new year with a new promotion, she is ready to debut a new version of herself when she steps into the cage on April 5 in Kansas City against Jennifer Maia at Invicta FC 5.

“I don’t want to say it’s completely different, but I’ve evolved from just being a striker to becoming a better-rounded mixed martial artist,” said Gurgel. “It will be a little bit different than what people are used to, but a better different.”

When it comes to her opponent on April 5, Jennifer Maia, Gurgel told MMAWeekly.com that she feels no matter what happens she will be able to outclass her opponent at every turn.

“She looks to be a tough girl,” said Gurgel of Maia. “I’m sure I’m going to see the best Jennifer Maia that there ever has been.

“I’ve prepared on the feet and on the ground as well, but when it comes to being a complete mixed martial artist, I believe I have the upper edge in everything across the entire fight. I expect her to come her best, but it’s not going to be good enough.”

Gurgel feels now in a new promotion and without all the baggage that has followed her over the last couple of years, it will free her to be more of the fighter she wants to be moving forward.

“There was always pressure before with people wondering when I was going to lose or if I was going to continue to win,” said Gurgel. “After that’s gone with the worst loss I possibly could have had, it’s actually nice, it’s a good feeling to be able to do whatever I want to do and fight the way I want to and be free.

“I love to do this, and especially in Invicta, where it’s an amazing thing to feel actually wanted by a promotion. They want me there and want to see me do well and that’s what I’m going to do.”

With new skills in a new promotion comes a new goal: to be the first woman to be crowned the best in two different weight classes.

“I started with the goal of being the best in the world,” said Gurgel. “I did it at 115 pounds and now moving up a weight division I want to be the first woman to do it in two divisions.

“Jennifer Maia is standing in my way, so I’ll go out there and get that done, and then my goal remains of getting that 125-pound belt in Invicta by the end of the year.”

Be sure to Like MMAWeekly.com on Facebook and Follow @MMAWeeklycom on Twitter.

Women’s MMA Report: 'Cyborg’s' UFC debut set, Bellator books featherweight title fight

Invicta FC featherweight champion Cristiane Justino makes her long-awaited octagon debut on May 14 at UFC 198. Read more about that fight and other happenings in our latest Women’s MMA Report.Filed u read news >>

Dada 5000 Comments on Collapsing in Fight vs. Kimbo Slice at Bellator 149

Mixed martial artist Dhafir Harris, better known as Dada 5000, is speaking out about the scary circumstances around his knockout loss against Kimbo Slice at Bellator 149 in February. During a Wednesd read news >>

Undefeated Lowen Tynanes Sees Title Shot on Horizon with a Win on Friday

If he can keep his unblemished record intact at ONE: Global Rivals on Friday, Lowen Tynanes sees a title shot on the horizon. read news >>

Benson Henderson not thinking of historic implications of winning Bellator title

Benson Henderson is just over a week away from his chance to become the first fighter in MMA history to win Bellator and UFC championship belts in a career.Filed under: Bellator, News, UFC read news >>

Melvin Manhoef Kickboxing as Bellator Takes Italy; Guns for MMA Title Shot Next

On Saturday, Bellator will hold its first event in Torino, Italy, headlined by the company’s new kickboxing venture, which features Melvin Manhoef. read news >>

Video: Bellator 152 press conference highlights and media day face-offs

TURIN, Italy – Bellator is in Italy this week for the promotion’s first international event, and MMAjunkie was on scene as the card’s featured competitors were brought face to face for the first time read news >>

Alessio Sakara is Looking to Knock Out Brian Rogers at Bellator 152

MMA veteran Alessio Sakara is looking to score a knockout over Brian Rogers in the Bellator 152 co-main event in Torino, Italy on Saturday. read news >>

5 reasons to watch Bellator's finisher-heavy debut in Europe for Bellator 152 in Italy

Bellator has put together a card heavy on finishers for its first trip to Europe. The 10 fighters competing at Bellator 152 have 109 fights between them, and only 28 of those fights have gone the dis read news >>

Bellator 152 weigh-in results: Patricky Freire (155.2), Kevin Souza (155.2) official

The Bellator 152 weigh-ins are in the books, and the fighters on the main card are official and set for their nationally televised fights.Filed under: Bellator, Featured Videos, News, Videos read news >>

Only 21, Bellator 152's A.J. McKee calls his title shot by the end of 2016

A.J. McKee drives fast cars too fast, can disassemble and reassemble any gun put in front of him, and occasionally eats too much cinnamon.Filed under: Bellator, Featured Videos, News, Videos read news >>