georges-st-pierre-26.jpgMONTREAL – Georges St-Pierre might be trying to downplay his anger this week, but his head coach and trainer knows better.

St-Pierre (23-2 MMA, 17-2 UFC) puts his welterweight title on the line against former Strikeforce champion Nick Diaz (26-8 MMA, 7-5 UFC) in the main event of UFC 158 on Saturday. It’s a fight years in the making, and one that has had the typically calm and cerebral St-Pierre more riled up than he’s ever been.

On Wednesday, St-Pierre said stories about him being in some kind of new head space that has him at anger levels bordering on crazy are, well, crazy. The longtime champ told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) said someone like Diaz bringing heated trash talk to his doorstep is nothing new. He said it calmly.

“They take some line that I said … I don’t know when I said that (about being angry),” St-Pierre told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). “There’s only three guys that have been nice with me in the UFC, that never said anything bad about me leading up to the fight. All the rest have said bad stuff, so I’m used to that position. It’s no big deal.”

But Firas Zahabi, his longtime trainer and coach at Tristar Gym in Montreal, on Wednesday told MMAjunkie.com that his star pupil might not yet realize just how angry he really is after what amounts to years of trash talk from Diaz.

“I think I’ve never seen Georges this angry,” Zahabi said. “Maybe he doesn’t realize it as much, but he’s been insulted many times – worse, even. But I think what pissed off Georges the most is he was insulted while he was sidelined. Nobody else insulted him except Nick Diaz when he was sidelined. He said, ‘You’re faking. Where are you? Don’t be scared,’ insinuating that he was lying about his injury. He had a serious injury, and I think Georges carried that with him a long time. After his operation, Georges was in a lot of pain, and he had guys on his list – and Nick Diaz was on top of it.”

St-Pierre, of course, was supposed to fight Diaz in 2011. That fight didn’t happen when Diaz no-showed a pair of press conferences promoting the fight, and UFC President Dana White pulled him in favor of Carlos Condit. Diaz was demoted to a fight with B.J. Penn, who Condit was supposed to fight. But then St-Pierre injured his knee, delaying the fight, and injured it again trying to come back, keeping him on the shelf until he beat Condit in November. Condit had beaten Diaz in an interim title fight when the extent of St-Pierre’s knee injury was known. Diaz’s position in all of it while Condit waited for St-Pierre was moot since he had been suspended after the Condit fight for a second positive marijuana test.

Diaz gets a shot at the title despite his yearlong suspension, and despite his most recent fight being a loss to Condit, because St-Pierre was so adamant with White that he wanted the fight after being disrespected by Diaz.

Many would argue that if Diaz doesn’t fight angry, he’s deserving of an Oscar for Best Actor. St-Pierre, on the other hand, isn’t known for fighting on emotion, but rather careful execution of a game plan. And Zahabi believes that needs to be the case on Saturday – despite what he believes is the angriest St-Pierre he’s ever seen.

“He’s the more technical fighter and can keep it a technical match,” Zahabi said. “Will it turn into a street fight? We’re going to find out Saturday night. I think he’s very mature as a fighter in terms of controlling his temperament. But we’ve never been in this situation. So I don’t want to say there’s no way he’s going to street fight, and then it turns into a street fight. I don’t know. This is a unique situation. Nobody’s ever gotten under Georges’ skin this personally.”

For more on UFC 158, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

view original article >>

Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

NSAC meets Tuesday, Wanderlei Silva and Nick Diaz on agenda

  • 28 days ago
  • 41 views

The Nevada State Athletic Commission will meet next week, and one of their most controversial decisions in recent memory could be altered.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

NSAC quickly, quietly passes settlement with Nick Diaz, now suspended 18 months

  • 26 days ago
  • 31 views

The NSAC today moved quickly to approve a settlement with suspended UFC welterweight Nick Diaz, voting unanimously to reduce his five-year suspension to 18 months with a $100,000 fine.Filed under: Fe read news >>

Nick Diaz Gets Drastically Reduced Suspension in NAC Settlement

  • 26 days ago
  • 14 views

Nick Diaz's case was back before the Nevada Athletic Commission on Tuesday due to a possible settlement agreement with the commission in regard to the fighter's five-year suspension and $165,000 fine read news >>

Nick Diaz's UFC Suspension Reduced to 18 Months: Latest Details and Reaction

  • 26 days ago
  • 9 views

Nick Diaz will be permitted to return to the Ultimate Fighting Championship on August 1 after it was confirmed his five-year drug suspension had been reduced to 18 months, along with a $100,000 fine. read news >>

Twitter reacts to Nick Diaz's NSAC hearing, reduced sentence and fine

  • 26 days ago
  • 49 views

After months of waiting, Nick Diaz finally today reached a settlement with the Nevada State Athletic Commission that saw his five-year ban and hefty fine reduced. Check out the reactions.Filed under: read news >>

Nick Diaz UFC 183 Settlement Agreement and Supporting Documents

  • 25 days ago
  • 7 views

Here is the Nick Diaz and Nevada Athletic Commission settlement, and Diaz's declaration that he wrongfully pleaded the fifth amendment. read news >>

Nick Diaz Settlement Actions Once Again Tarnish Nevada Commission

  • 25 days ago
  • 18 views

Nick Diaz can finally plan a return to the fight business. That's the positive. But it couldn't be that easy. No way. It couldn't come until the Nevada Athletic Commission (NAC) managed to put him th read news >>

Nick Diaz settlement spurred by admission he wrongly pled Fifth Amendment

  • 25 days ago
  • 16 views

UFC welterweight Nick Diaz had to admit he wrongly invoked the Fifth Amendment as part of a settlement he recently reached with the Nevada State Athletic Commission.Filed under: Featured Videos, News read news >>

Nick Diaz rematching UFC welterweight champ Robbie Lawler? It's possible

  • 25 days ago
  • 33 views

Nick Diaz will be cleared to fight in August after reaching a settlement that saw his five-year suspension reduced to 18 months, and when he does return, another UFC title shot could be in the offing read news >>

Chael Sonnen Beyond the Fight: Nick Diaz’s Reduced Suspension

  • 22 days ago
  • 18 views

In this weeks episode of Beyond the Fight Chael Sonnen discusses the reduction of Nick Diaz's suspension and Anderson Silva's failed test. read news >>