It’s easy to say that former Bellator bantamweight champion Zach Makovsky was a little shocked when he received word after his last fight that he was being released from the promotion.

Granted, Makovsky had lost two fights in a row, but one of them was when he dropped the title to current champion Eduardo Dantas, and the second was a split decision loss to Anthony Leone, but still it seemed somewhat odd that a former champion was dropped only one fight after holding the title.

“I was surprised. I didn’t think they would release me,” Makovsky told MMAWeekly.com. “Right after the fight Bjorn (Rebney) came back to my locker room and said ‘don’t worry about it, we’re going to get through this, things happen,’ and then there was nothing really spoken to me at the press conference or anything afterwards until I got my release.

“So it was really a surprise; I didn’t really see it coming.”

Whatever the reason was behind the organization releasing Makovsky, he is now looking at it as a positive step for his career because he is now planning a move to a whole new weight class, and it happens to be one that Bellator doesn’t currently promote.

“It’s kind of the natural evolution of the sport. I think the last three guys I fought all walk around between 160 and 165, and I walk around a little bit under 145, so it’s somewhat of a significant difference. People get better at cutting weight, people using IV’s after weigh-ins and all that kind of stuff now. I wrestled my whole life and cut weight my whole life, so I never really wanted to cut too much anymore, but time’s are changing so I think it’s the right move,” Makovsky stated confirming his move to 125 pounds.

“That weight class is opening up. The UFC has a flyweight division and all the lighter weight classes are getting more popular. I think it’s a good time to do it.”

Add to that Bellator’s lack of a flyweight division and Makovsky’s release will give him the time to drop weight, and make a run at 125 pounds and hopefully a slot in the UFC.

“They don’t have a flyweight division and I think that’s the best move for me, so I think it was actually a blessing in disguise. I had four more fights on my contract, and if you go back in a tournament you have to sign a new tournament contract, and if you end up winning your contract gets extended, so if you want to make a move it gets really hard to get out of your contract,” Makovsky explained.

“I think if I was looking to make a move to 125 pounds, this was really the best thing.”

The plan now for Makovsky is to start getting his diet in line as he works to make a test cut down to 125 pounds, and he’d like to get back in action in early spring 2013, and then hopefully catch the attention of UFC matchmaker Sean Shelby.

“I think it’s a very good time to get in (the UFC),” said Makovsky. “So that’s what I’m hoping for.”

Stay tuned to MMAWeekly.com for all the latest MMA news and updates.

Bellator's Jordan Parsons Has Full Leg Amputated After Hit-and-Run Collision

Jordan Parsons, 25, a fighter competing in Bellator MMA's featherweight division, has lost his entire right leg after falling victim to a hit-and-run vehicle collision early Sunday morning in Florida read news >>

Michael Chandler Will Battle Patricky Pitbull for Vacant Bellator Lightweight Title

Following the release of former lightweight champion Will Brooks, Bellator officials quickly followed up with an announcement to fill the vacancy. read news >>

Josh Paiva Looking to Blow the Bellator Flyweight Division Wide Open

Top flyweight prospect Josh Paiva is looking to make an impression at Bellator 154, and blow the doors off the promotion's flyweight division. read news >>

Bellator Cuts Lightweight Champ Will Brooks, Strips Heavyweight Champion Vitaly Minakov

Bellator MMA on Saturday released disgruntled lightweight champion Will Brooks from his contract and stripped the heavyweight belt from Vitaly Minakov. read news >>

Bellator Lightweight Champ Will Brooks Released, Fight for Vacant Title Booked

The Bellator lightweight championship will not be vacant for very long, with the announcement that two familiar names will face off for the strap in June. During Saturday night's broadcast, the promo read news >>

Phil Davis vs. King Mo: Winner and Reaction from Bellator 154

Phil Davis won a controversial unanimous decision over Muhammed "King Mo" Lawal in the main event at Bellator 154 in San Jose, California, on Saturday. The fight was close, and either man could have read news >>

Bellator to Institute Jordan Parsons Memorial Scholarship Fund

With the newly-announced Jordan Parsons Scholarship Fund, Bellator will annually send a young wrestler to "The J Robinson Intensive Wrestling Camp." read news >>

Bellator 154 Results: Phil Davis Top King Mo to Earn Light Heavyweight Title Shot

Phil Davis got the nod over King Mo Lawal at Bellator 154 on Saturday night, earning a shot at light heavyweight champion Liam McGeary. read news >>

Is New Free Agent Will Brooks a Good Addition to Stacked UFC Lightweight Roster?

Will Brooks has been released by Bellator. But this isn't just any release. Brooks was Bellator's reigning lightweight champion. The 29-year-old hasn't lost in more than three years. Bleacher Report read news >>

Bellator 154: Davis vs. King Mo Video Highlights

Check out all the action from Bellator 154 including, top two Light Heavyweight fighters, Phil Davis and King Mo, face-off to be the no. 1 contender and get a shot at the title. read news >>