It’s easy to say that former Bellator bantamweight champion Zach Makovsky was a little shocked when he received word after his last fight that he was being released from the promotion.

Granted, Makovsky had lost two fights in a row, but one of them was when he dropped the title to current champion Eduardo Dantas, and the second was a split decision loss to Anthony Leone, but still it seemed somewhat odd that a former champion was dropped only one fight after holding the title.

“I was surprised. I didn’t think they would release me,” Makovsky told MMAWeekly.com. “Right after the fight Bjorn (Rebney) came back to my locker room and said ‘don’t worry about it, we’re going to get through this, things happen,’ and then there was nothing really spoken to me at the press conference or anything afterwards until I got my release.

“So it was really a surprise; I didn’t really see it coming.”

Whatever the reason was behind the organization releasing Makovsky, he is now looking at it as a positive step for his career because he is now planning a move to a whole new weight class, and it happens to be one that Bellator doesn’t currently promote.

“It’s kind of the natural evolution of the sport. I think the last three guys I fought all walk around between 160 and 165, and I walk around a little bit under 145, so it’s somewhat of a significant difference. People get better at cutting weight, people using IV’s after weigh-ins and all that kind of stuff now. I wrestled my whole life and cut weight my whole life, so I never really wanted to cut too much anymore, but time’s are changing so I think it’s the right move,” Makovsky stated confirming his move to 125 pounds.

“That weight class is opening up. The UFC has a flyweight division and all the lighter weight classes are getting more popular. I think it’s a good time to do it.”

Add to that Bellator’s lack of a flyweight division and Makovsky’s release will give him the time to drop weight, and make a run at 125 pounds and hopefully a slot in the UFC.

“They don’t have a flyweight division and I think that’s the best move for me, so I think it was actually a blessing in disguise. I had four more fights on my contract, and if you go back in a tournament you have to sign a new tournament contract, and if you end up winning your contract gets extended, so if you want to make a move it gets really hard to get out of your contract,” Makovsky explained.

“I think if I was looking to make a move to 125 pounds, this was really the best thing.”

The plan now for Makovsky is to start getting his diet in line as he works to make a test cut down to 125 pounds, and he’d like to get back in action in early spring 2013, and then hopefully catch the attention of UFC matchmaker Sean Shelby.

“I think it’s a very good time to get in (the UFC),” said Makovsky. “So that’s what I’m hoping for.”

Stay tuned to MMAWeekly.com for all the latest MMA news and updates.

Undefeated Brent Primus Taking Aim at the Top of Bellator Lightweight Division

Undefeated Brent Primus is ready to get busy rising up the ranks, taking aim at the top of the Bellator lightweight division. read news >>

Michael Page and Fernando Gonzalez set to meet at Bellator 158 in London

Michael Page will take the next step in his Bellator career when he faces streaking welterweight Fernando Gonzalez at Bellator 158.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Matt Mitrione makes Bellator debut against Carl Seumanutafa at Bellator 157

Matt Mitrione will step into the Bellator cage for the first time at Bellator 157 when the heavyweight squares off with Carl Seumanutafa.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Bellator 153 results: Andrey Koreshkov dominates Benson Henderson to retain title

All the talk leading up to Bellator 153 revolved around Benson Henderson’s jump from the UFC to Bellator. Andrey Koreshkov put a five round beating on Henderson to retain his welterweight title and r read news >>

Twitter reacts to Benson Henderson's upset loss to champ Koreshkov at Bellator 153

Benson Henderson was supposed to make waves in the first fight of his Bellator career at Bellator 153. Apparently Andrey Koreshkov didn’t receive the memo. Check out the top reactions to Koreshkov’s read news >>

Bellator 153 Results: Andrey Koreshkov Routes Benson Henderson to Keep the Belt

Benson Henderson received a rude welcome from welterweight champion Andrey Koreshkov at Bellator 153 on Friday night in Uncasville, Conn. read news >>

Andrey Koreshkov vs. Benson Henderson Results: Winner, Reaction for Bellator 153

When the Bellator brass decided to put new free-agent signing Benson Henderson in a title fight with Andrey Koreshkov, there was the potential for its reigning champion to receive a huge boost in pro read news >>

Bellator 153 Results: Winners, Scorecards from Koreshkov vs. Henderson Card

Bellator welterweight champion Andrey Koreshkov was too big and strong for Benson Henderson on Friday night at Mohegan Sun Arena in Uncasville, Connecticut. The 25-year-old Russian dominated the form read news >>

Bellator 153 highlights: Benson Henderson falters, and Michael Page taunts after toehold

Benson Henderson’s heavily promoted Bellator debut didn’t go as planned – not for him, anyway. Check out the video highlights of that headliner and other Bellator 153 bouts.Filed under: Bellator, Fea read news >>

As UFC 197's Marcos Rogerio de Lima learned, it's not always easy getting a scheduled fight

Despite fighting for MMA’s biggest organization and in a division with approximately 40 fighters under contract, UFC light heavyweight Marcos Rogerio de Lima has learned it’s not always easy getting read news >>