It’s easy to say that former Bellator bantamweight champion Zach Makovsky was a little shocked when he received word after his last fight that he was being released from the promotion.

Granted, Makovsky had lost two fights in a row, but one of them was when he dropped the title to current champion Eduardo Dantas, and the second was a split decision loss to Anthony Leone, but still it seemed somewhat odd that a former champion was dropped only one fight after holding the title.

“I was surprised. I didn’t think they would release me,” Makovsky told “Right after the fight Bjorn (Rebney) came back to my locker room and said ‘don’t worry about it, we’re going to get through this, things happen,’ and then there was nothing really spoken to me at the press conference or anything afterwards until I got my release.

“So it was really a surprise; I didn’t really see it coming.”

Whatever the reason was behind the organization releasing Makovsky, he is now looking at it as a positive step for his career because he is now planning a move to a whole new weight class, and it happens to be one that Bellator doesn’t currently promote.

“It’s kind of the natural evolution of the sport. I think the last three guys I fought all walk around between 160 and 165, and I walk around a little bit under 145, so it’s somewhat of a significant difference. People get better at cutting weight, people using IV’s after weigh-ins and all that kind of stuff now. I wrestled my whole life and cut weight my whole life, so I never really wanted to cut too much anymore, but time’s are changing so I think it’s the right move,” Makovsky stated confirming his move to 125 pounds.

“That weight class is opening up. The UFC has a flyweight division and all the lighter weight classes are getting more popular. I think it’s a good time to do it.”

Add to that Bellator’s lack of a flyweight division and Makovsky’s release will give him the time to drop weight, and make a run at 125 pounds and hopefully a slot in the UFC.

“They don’t have a flyweight division and I think that’s the best move for me, so I think it was actually a blessing in disguise. I had four more fights on my contract, and if you go back in a tournament you have to sign a new tournament contract, and if you end up winning your contract gets extended, so if you want to make a move it gets really hard to get out of your contract,” Makovsky explained.

“I think if I was looking to make a move to 125 pounds, this was really the best thing.”

The plan now for Makovsky is to start getting his diet in line as he works to make a test cut down to 125 pounds, and he’d like to get back in action in early spring 2013, and then hopefully catch the attention of UFC matchmaker Sean Shelby.

“I think it’s a very good time to get in (the UFC),” said Makovsky. “So that’s what I’m hoping for.”

Stay tuned to for all the latest MMA news and updates.

Bellator 145: Will Brooks vs. Marcin Held full fight video highlights

ST. LOUIS – It wasn’t always easy, but it was dominant for Will Brooks in his second defense of his lightweight title at Bellator 145. Check out the video highlights of the fight inside. Filed under: read news >>

Julia Budd expects to fight for inaugural featherweight title with Bellator 146 win

The Bellator women’s featherweight division has been in existence for less than one year, and Julia Budd thinks it’s about time to crown a champion.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Marcin Held scoffs at Will Brooks' 'one-dimensional' label ahead of Bellator title fight

Marcin Held has no interest in engaging in a war of words with Will Brooks ahead of their Bellator lightweight championship showdown at Bellator 145 on Nov. 6. Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Bellator 146 gets Houston Alexander vs. Guilherme Viana and five more prelims

The lineup for Bellator 146 is complete with the addition of one main card bout and five preliminary contests.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Bellator 145's Justin Lawrence: It 'took a couple days' to get over Pat Curran injury

Justin Lawrence admits he was devastated when he lost out on the biggest fight of his career at Bellator 145. Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Kimbo Slice headlines Feb. 19 Bellator event, Lashley or Thompson potential opponent

Kevin “Kimbo Slice” Ferguson is expected to return to the cage Feb. 19 in a Bellator headliner in Houston against an opponent to be determined.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Lineup set for Bellator 146 with Derek Campos vs. Brandon Girtz rematch, six prelims

The lineup is set for Bellator’s return to Oklahoma next month with the addition of a lightweight rematch, plus six prelims. Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Will Brooks supports Dustin Poirier not fighting at UFC Dublin: I'd do the same thing

Bellator champion Will Brooks is never afraid to speak his mind. And when it comes to Joseph Duffy’s last-minute withdrawal from UFC Fight Night 76 against Brooks’ friend and teammate Dustin Poirier, read news >>

Condit out to prove he's division's nightmare

Georges St-Pierre called Carlos Condit "the nightmare" of the welterweight division, and he's out to prove it when he faces Robbie Lawler at UFC 195 for the welterweight title at MGM Grand Garden Are read news >>

Kimbo Slice to Headline Bellator Event in Houston: Details and Reaction

Kimbo Slice will headline the main event in Bellator MMA’s next tentpole Feb. 19 at Toyota Center in Houston, according to Jeremy Botter of the Houston Chronicle. Slice’s opponent hasn’t been finaliz read news >>