It’s easy to say that former Bellator bantamweight champion Zach Makovsky was a little shocked when he received word after his last fight that he was being released from the promotion.

Granted, Makovsky had lost two fights in a row, but one of them was when he dropped the title to current champion Eduardo Dantas, and the second was a split decision loss to Anthony Leone, but still it seemed somewhat odd that a former champion was dropped only one fight after holding the title.

“I was surprised. I didn’t think they would release me,” Makovsky told MMAWeekly.com. “Right after the fight Bjorn (Rebney) came back to my locker room and said ‘don’t worry about it, we’re going to get through this, things happen,’ and then there was nothing really spoken to me at the press conference or anything afterwards until I got my release.

“So it was really a surprise; I didn’t really see it coming.”

Whatever the reason was behind the organization releasing Makovsky, he is now looking at it as a positive step for his career because he is now planning a move to a whole new weight class, and it happens to be one that Bellator doesn’t currently promote.

“It’s kind of the natural evolution of the sport. I think the last three guys I fought all walk around between 160 and 165, and I walk around a little bit under 145, so it’s somewhat of a significant difference. People get better at cutting weight, people using IV’s after weigh-ins and all that kind of stuff now. I wrestled my whole life and cut weight my whole life, so I never really wanted to cut too much anymore, but time’s are changing so I think it’s the right move,” Makovsky stated confirming his move to 125 pounds.

“That weight class is opening up. The UFC has a flyweight division and all the lighter weight classes are getting more popular. I think it’s a good time to do it.”

Add to that Bellator’s lack of a flyweight division and Makovsky’s release will give him the time to drop weight, and make a run at 125 pounds and hopefully a slot in the UFC.

“They don’t have a flyweight division and I think that’s the best move for me, so I think it was actually a blessing in disguise. I had four more fights on my contract, and if you go back in a tournament you have to sign a new tournament contract, and if you end up winning your contract gets extended, so if you want to make a move it gets really hard to get out of your contract,” Makovsky explained.

“I think if I was looking to make a move to 125 pounds, this was really the best thing.”

The plan now for Makovsky is to start getting his diet in line as he works to make a test cut down to 125 pounds, and he’d like to get back in action in early spring 2013, and then hopefully catch the attention of UFC matchmaker Sean Shelby.

“I think it’s a very good time to get in (the UFC),” said Makovsky. “So that’s what I’m hoping for.”

Stay tuned to MMAWeekly.com for all the latest MMA news and updates.

Bellator 140 predictions: 'Lima vs Koreshkov' Spike TV main card preview

If you like the Welterweight division, Bellator 140 is the card for you, and the Mohegan Sun Arena is the place to be tomorrow night (Fri., July 17, 2015). The Spike TV-televised show, which will ema read news >>

Sean Wheelock out as Bellator MMA play-by-play voice

The long-time MMA commentary duo of Sean Wheelock and Jimmy Smith has been broken up. Fans of Bellator MMA (and also followers of M-1 and the short-lived Affliction promotion) are familiar with the w read news >>

Sean Grande in, Sean Wheelock out as Bellator play-by-play announcer

Bellator CEO Scott Coker apparently isn't finished making changes to the company's product. The Awful Announcing blog reported Thursday that Bellator has parted ways with longtime play-by-play announ read news >>

Antonio Braga Neto out, Dominique Steele in against Zak Cummings at UFC on FOX 16

Strikeforce and Bellator veteran Dominique Steele will have an opportunity to compete on the big stage of the UFC after Antonio Braga Neto was forced out of his UFC on FOX 16 bout with Zak Cummings.F read news >>

Floyd Mayweather Jr. stripped of WBO welterweight title after 'failing to comply' with rules and regs

Easy come, easy go. Undefeated boxing icon Floyd Mayweather Jr. will say goodbye to the WBO welterweight title he won by defeating Manny Pacquiao last May in Las Vegas, Nevada, after failing to compl read news >>

Bellator champ Douglas Lima on Ben Askren: Once he comes back, I’m here

It wasn’t Douglas Lima’s fault that Ben Askren relinquished his Bellator welterweight belt in search of greener pastures. But ever since he seized the title, he told MMAjunkie, some fans seem to enjo read news >>

Benson Henderson: New Division, Same Championship Aspirations

Benson Henderson is ready to face the best the world has to offer, but he'll be doing it in a different weight class for the foreseeable future. After successfully rolling the dice in a higher weight read news >>

Macdonald Is Ready To Reign Over Welterweight Division

Rory MacDonald is ready to win the title and become the champion he's been groomed to be. read news >>

UFC 190's Claudia Gadelha fires back at Joanna 'little girl' Jedrzejczyk following 'easy win' comments

No disrespect to Jessica Aguilar, but I would love to see this rematch. Reigning Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) strawweight champion Joanna Jedrzejczyk was looking ahead to her next fight, pres read news >>

Local Governor supports Shlemenko in PED situation: ‘F*** them Americans’

Former Bellator middleweight champion Alexander Shlemenko started a flashmob in his support, which reached the local government in the Omsk region of Russia. Having been suspended for three years alo read news >>