It’s easy to say that former Bellator bantamweight champion Zach Makovsky was a little shocked when he received word after his last fight that he was being released from the promotion.

Granted, Makovsky had lost two fights in a row, but one of them was when he dropped the title to current champion Eduardo Dantas, and the second was a split decision loss to Anthony Leone, but still it seemed somewhat odd that a former champion was dropped only one fight after holding the title.

“I was surprised. I didn’t think they would release me,” Makovsky told MMAWeekly.com. “Right after the fight Bjorn (Rebney) came back to my locker room and said ‘don’t worry about it, we’re going to get through this, things happen,’ and then there was nothing really spoken to me at the press conference or anything afterwards until I got my release.

“So it was really a surprise; I didn’t really see it coming.”

Whatever the reason was behind the organization releasing Makovsky, he is now looking at it as a positive step for his career because he is now planning a move to a whole new weight class, and it happens to be one that Bellator doesn’t currently promote.

“It’s kind of the natural evolution of the sport. I think the last three guys I fought all walk around between 160 and 165, and I walk around a little bit under 145, so it’s somewhat of a significant difference. People get better at cutting weight, people using IV’s after weigh-ins and all that kind of stuff now. I wrestled my whole life and cut weight my whole life, so I never really wanted to cut too much anymore, but time’s are changing so I think it’s the right move,” Makovsky stated confirming his move to 125 pounds.

“That weight class is opening up. The UFC has a flyweight division and all the lighter weight classes are getting more popular. I think it’s a good time to do it.”

Add to that Bellator’s lack of a flyweight division and Makovsky’s release will give him the time to drop weight, and make a run at 125 pounds and hopefully a slot in the UFC.

“They don’t have a flyweight division and I think that’s the best move for me, so I think it was actually a blessing in disguise. I had four more fights on my contract, and if you go back in a tournament you have to sign a new tournament contract, and if you end up winning your contract gets extended, so if you want to make a move it gets really hard to get out of your contract,” Makovsky explained.

“I think if I was looking to make a move to 125 pounds, this was really the best thing.”

The plan now for Makovsky is to start getting his diet in line as he works to make a test cut down to 125 pounds, and he’d like to get back in action in early spring 2013, and then hopefully catch the attention of UFC matchmaker Sean Shelby.

“I think it’s a very good time to get in (the UFC),” said Makovsky. “So that’s what I’m hoping for.”

Stay tuned to MMAWeekly.com for all the latest MMA news and updates.

Bellator signs trio of women to build up flyweight division

• a day ago

Bellator is continuing their push to expand their roster and build up their women’s flyweight division with the announced signing of three women.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

'Shamrock/Gracie/Kimbo/Dada 5000' debuts tonight on Spike ahead of Bellator 149

• a day ago

As a reminder, “Shamrock/Gracie/Kimbo/Dada 5000,” which previews next week’s Bellator 149 event, debuts tonight on Spike.Filed under: Bellator, News, Videos read news >>

Ex-champ Michael Chandler signs long-term extension with Bellator

• 22 hours ago

After talking up his value and calling for big fights, ex-lightweight champ Michael Chandler has signed a long-term contract extension with Bellator MMA.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Tito Ortiz cited for misdemeanor battery after allegedly grabbing woman’s phone at club

• 20 hours ago

UFC Hall of Famer and Bellator light heavyweight Tito Ortiz was cited for misdemeanor battery early this morning after an alleged struggle with a woman in a Las Vegas nightclub.Filed under: Bellator, read news >>

Tito Ortiz Reportedly Cited for Misdemeanor Battery: Latest Details, Reaction

• 20 hours ago

Former UFC light heavyweight champion and current Bellator MMA fighter Tito Ortiz has reportedly been cited for misdemeanor battery. According to TMZ Sports, police responded to a call regarding a di read news >>

Former champ Alexander Volkov: Bellator wants showmen like Kimbo Slice, not fighters

• 19 hours ago

Despite ending on a two-fight losing skid, Alexander Volkov’s stint in Bellator was a successful one. But that doesn’t leave the former champion thrilled with the promotion.Filed under: Bellator, New read news >>

Michael Chandler Signs Multi-Year, Multi-Fight Contract Extension with Bellator MMA

• a day ago

Bellator MMA announced today that former 155-pound champion Michael Chandler has signed an exclusive multi-year, multi-fight contract extension with the promotion. read news >>

Tito Ortiz Cited for Misdemeanor Battery in Las Vegas Nightclub

• 23 hours ago

Bellator MMA light heavyweight and UFC Hall of Fame fighter Tito Ortiz was cited for misdemeanor battery after an early morning incident in a Las Vegas nightclub. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 81’s Paul Felder learns its good to take it easy from time to time

BOSTON – If there’s any takeaway UFC lightweight Paul Felder had following a pair of recent losses, it’s that taking it slow is sometimes a good thing.Filed under: Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Fans invited to next month's Bellator Fan Fest with Angle, Ortiz, Couture, more

Bellator heads to Houston for next month’s “tentpole event.” Beforehand, fans can get up close and personal with some MMA legends.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>