Much has been made of Jeremy Stephens’ arrest last week and the fact that he couldn’t compete at UFC on FX 5, but opponent Yves Edwards didn’t get to fight either.

“I was actually expecting and hoping that he would show up,” Edwards told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Cheap Seats” show. “It really wasn’t until after the fact, when I read all the things going on and I heard about everything, it made sense that that wouldn’t happen. This is not the good old days. It’s not the Wild West. These things take time, and things happen and that’s just not realistic. But at the time I thought it was a very good possibility, especially with the people that were working on making it happen.”

Even after Stephens was arrested the morning of the bout in connection to a 2011 assault charge, UFC President Dana White reassured fans that the fight would happen. However, his attempts to get Stephens released ultimately failed and the fight was canceled.

“I like the guy,” Edwards said of Stephens. “We hung out a little last summer. He’s a cool dude. For his sake, I guess I just really want to see this work out for the best. I don’t know the details. Nobody really does, but if he’s not at fault, then I hope it all gets worked out.”

Edwards said he was paid his show money, but he believes he and Stephens also would have won a “Fight of the Night” bonus had they been able to meet in the Octagon.

“It was good to get paid, especially for not having to perform, but at the same time … I was pretty sure the fight that we would have to be more entertaining than [to win ‘Fight of the Night’] would have been Diego Nunes and Bart Palaszewski,” Edwards said. “That was a really good fight. Diego looked really good, but it was a pretty one-sided affair. If we went out and we had a war, it would have been a pretty entertaining war. I’m confident in saying that we would have at least got ‘Fight of the Night.’”

Instead the veteran fighter has been left to hope he’ll get another bout on an upcoming card.

“I definitely want to fight again as soon as possible because I put in all this work and I’m in good shape right now,” Edwards said. “A little heavy because I was gone for the weekend and I knew there was nothing coming up, but I can be back to fight weight in a day or two. I can make weight in less than a week. But at the same time, getting a new opponent and understanding that this is a business now, it would be nice to be able to prepare for a specific guy, but that’s just because it’s a business. At the same time, I just want to fight.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 32:59).

Jeremy Stephens ready to 'put the pain' on Frankie Edgar at UFC 205

NEW YORK – Jeremy Stephens isn’t the kind of guy who watches tape, thinks about the future or really spends any time on anything beyond getting in the cage and roughing up the man standing across the read news >>

UFC 205 video: How did this Jeremy Stephens kick not finish Frankie Edgar?

Frankie Edgar has been in the UFC octagon for more than six hours of fight time in his career and has never been finished. He showcased that trademark durability against Jeremy Stephens at UFC 205.Fi read news >>

UFC 205 results: Frankie Edgar survives head kick to outduel Jeremy Stephens in thriller

NEW YORK – Frankie Edgar survived a head kick and near knockout at the hands of Jeremy Stephens, and still he won every round according to two of the three judges.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Frankie Edgar Takes the Fight from Jeremy Stephens (UFC 205 Results) | MMAWeekly.com

Frankie Edgar put himself back in the thick of title talk, getting the better of Jeremy Stephens at UFC 205 on Saturday night in Madison Square Garden. read news >>

Frankie Edgar vs. Jeremy Stephens Results: Winner and Reaction from UFC 205

Frankie Edgar waited too long to let this opportunity get away from him, and Saturday night at UFC 205 the New Jersey native made good on his first fight at Madison Square Garden by way of a unanimou read news >>

Frankie Edgar Decisions Jeremy Stephens (UFC 205 Fight Highlights) | MMAWeekly.com

Watch the highlights of the UFC 205 featherweight fight between Frankie Edgar and Jeremy Stephens that took place at Madison Square Garden in New York City. read news >>

Tyron Woodley and Stephen Thompson Fight of the Night (UFC 205 Highlights) | MMAWeekly.com

Watch the highlights from the UFC 205 welterweight title fight between champion Tyron Woodley and Stephen "Wonderboy" Thompson that ended in a Majority Draw. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 99 bonuses: With no 'Fight of the Night,' which 4 fighters took home $50,000?

BELFAST, Northern Ireland – Jack Marshman, Kevin Lee, Abdul Razak Alhassan and Justin Ledet each earned $50,000 bonuses at today’s UFC Fight Night 99 event.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Watch Jason Knight top Jim Alers in a Fight of the Night (UFC Melbourne Full Fight Video) | MMAWeekly.com

Jason Knight won a fun fight back at UFC Fight Night Chicago against Jim Alers that ended up receiving Fight of the Night honors. read news >>

TUF 24 Finale bonuses: What bout upset Benavidez-Cejudo to win 'Fight of the Night'?

LAS VEGAS – Sara McMann, Anthony Smith, Jared Cannonier and Ion Cutelaba each earned $50,000 fight-night bonuses on Saturday at The Ultimate Fighter 24 Finale.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>