TOKYO -- Japanese entertainment management group J-Rock announced Monday that it will host a one-time MMA event called “Astra” dedicated to the retirement of J-Rock client Hidehiko Yoshida.

The show will be held at the 14,000-seat Nippon Budokan in Tokyo on April 25. Yoshida, a 1992 Olympic judo gold medalist and Japanese MMA superstar, will headline against a yet-to-be-determined opponent.

“As a long-time judo athlete, the Nippon Budokan is a very special venue for me,” Yoshida said. “There's something special about ending my career there.”

Yoshida indicated physical deterioration over the course of his nearly eight-year career as the impetus behind his retirement decision.

“I wanted to announce my retirement on New Year's Eve, but so many things were happening with Dynamite and Sengoku that I just couldn't do it then,” he said. “As I continued fighting, I was feeling sorry for the fans that came out and paid to see me, even though I could not physically perform at my very best to satisfy them.”

The card will also feature a host of Yoshida's pupils: UFC and Pride veteran Kazuhiro Nakamura, 2000 Sydney Games judo gold medalist Makoto Takimoto, standout featherweight Michihiro Omigawa and unbeaten prospect Tatsunao Nagakura.

J-Rock President and former World Victory Road Director Takahiro Kokuho stated that Astra would feature nine or 10 bouts and could include fighters from other promotions such as Dream or Strikeforce.

“There are so many fighters I'd like to fight against,” Yoshida said. “I don't know if my wish will come true, but my most interesting fight was against Wanderlei Silva. I know it wouldn't be possible now, but I'd like to have a retirement bout as exciting as that one was against whomever I do end up fighting.”

One of 2009's breakout fighters, Yoshida understudy Michihiro Omigawa tabbed WEC featherweight champion Jose Aldo and Dream featherweight champion Bibiano Fernandes as the fighters he would most like to face.

Broadcast details for Astra were also tentative. Kokuho claimed to be working out a deal with Japanese premium cable network Skyperfect TV for a pay-per-view broadcast. Kokuho also said he is planning to broadcast the event internationally, but he could not comment on specifics.

Dong Hyun Kim vs. Gunnar Nelson Headlines UFC Belfast

UFC recently announced that No.10 ranked Dong Hyun Kim will take on No.12 Gunnar Nelson would headline a UFC Fight Night card in Belfast, Northern Ireland. read news >>

Kim and Nelson to Headline UFC's Return to Belfast

UFC® announced today that No.10-ranked “The Stun Gun” Dong Hyun Kim will take on No.12 Gunnar "Gunni” Nelson in Belfast on Saturday November 19 at the SSE Arena. read news >>

Alexander Gustafsson vs. Rogerio Nogueira Headlines Next UFC Event in Brazil | MMAWeekly.com

UFC officials announced that Alexander Gustafsson and Rogerio Nogueira would headline UFC Fight Night Sao Paulo, adding a slew of other bouts to the card. read news >>

Superfight between Eddie Alvarez vs. Conor McGregor to headline UFC 205

A superfight between Eddie Alvarez vs. Conor McGregor will headline UFC 205 in New York CityConor McGregor will look to become the first UFC fighterto hold championships in two separate weight classe read news >>

Conor McGregor vs. Eddie Alvarez Announced for UFC 205: Latest Details, Reaction

Conor McGregor’s next fight will come against Eddie Alvarez on Nov. 12 at Madison Square Garden in New York as part of UFC 205. UFC president Dana White confirmed the match will occur on Tuesday duri read news >>

Alvarez-McGregor confirmed for UFC 205 at MSG

Conor McGregor will challenge Eddie Alvarez for the lightweight title in the headline event of UFC 205 in November, UFC officials confirmed Monday. read news >>

Conor McGregor vs. Eddie Alvarez Confirmed to Headline UFC 205 in New York | MMAWeekly.com

Despite all the smoke and mirrors, UFC featherweight champion Conor McGregor will fight lightweight titleholder Eddie Alvarez in the UFC 205 main event. read news >>

Chris Weidman vs. Yoel Romero Announced for UFC 205: Latest Details, Reaction

UFC President Dana White announced Tuesday morning that Chris Weidman and Yoel Romero will face off during the UFC 205 card at Madison Square Garden on Nov. 12. UFC vice president of public relations read news >>

Conor McGregor vs. Eddie Alvarez: Top Takeaways from UFC 205 Press Conference

One day after the UFC announced Conor McGregor will challenge Eddie Alvarez for the lightweight title in the main event of UFC 205, the two stars made their way to Madison Square Garden to discuss th read news >>

Aldo's Retirement Could Be Catastrophic to a McGregor-Less Featherweight Division | FIGHTLAND

• a day ago

Photo by Cooper Neill/Zuffa LLC There is no doubt that championship belts used to mean a lot more in the UFC. As the titles continue to change hands and Conor McGregor once again skips the queue of t read news >>