TOKYO -- Japanese entertainment management group J-Rock announced Monday that it will host a one-time MMA event called “Astra” dedicated to the retirement of J-Rock client Hidehiko Yoshida.

The show will be held at the 14,000-seat Nippon Budokan in Tokyo on April 25. Yoshida, a 1992 Olympic judo gold medalist and Japanese MMA superstar, will headline against a yet-to-be-determined opponent.

“As a long-time judo athlete, the Nippon Budokan is a very special venue for me,” Yoshida said. “There's something special about ending my career there.”

Yoshida indicated physical deterioration over the course of his nearly eight-year career as the impetus behind his retirement decision.

“I wanted to announce my retirement on New Year's Eve, but so many things were happening with Dynamite and Sengoku that I just couldn't do it then,” he said. “As I continued fighting, I was feeling sorry for the fans that came out and paid to see me, even though I could not physically perform at my very best to satisfy them.”

The card will also feature a host of Yoshida's pupils: UFC and Pride veteran Kazuhiro Nakamura, 2000 Sydney Games judo gold medalist Makoto Takimoto, standout featherweight Michihiro Omigawa and unbeaten prospect Tatsunao Nagakura.

J-Rock President and former World Victory Road Director Takahiro Kokuho stated that Astra would feature nine or 10 bouts and could include fighters from other promotions such as Dream or Strikeforce.

“There are so many fighters I'd like to fight against,” Yoshida said. “I don't know if my wish will come true, but my most interesting fight was against Wanderlei Silva. I know it wouldn't be possible now, but I'd like to have a retirement bout as exciting as that one was against whomever I do end up fighting.”

One of 2009's breakout fighters, Yoshida understudy Michihiro Omigawa tabbed WEC featherweight champion Jose Aldo and Dream featherweight champion Bibiano Fernandes as the fighters he would most like to face.

Broadcast details for Astra were also tentative. Kokuho claimed to be working out a deal with Japanese premium cable network Skyperfect TV for a pay-per-view broadcast. Kokuho also said he is planning to broadcast the event internationally, but he could not comment on specifics.

Paddy Holohan Announces Retirement Due to Rare Blood Disorder

UFC flyweight Patrick “Paddy” Holohan announced his retirement on Monday due to a rare blood clotting disorder. read news >>

Jones, Cormier reignite feud after UFC 200 bout announced

The UFC made major news Wednesday as it announced Jones-Cormier 2 will headline UFC 200 in July, and neither Jon Jones nor Daniel Cormier wasted any time reigniting their feud while on a media tour i read news >>

UFC and Wrestling Canada Lutte Announce Partnership

UFC® today announced a new partnership agreement with Wrestling Canada Lutte to actively promote amateur and Olympic wrestling throughout Canada. read news >>

After the Octagon: After finding self, Frankie Perez helping others in retirement

Frankie Perez shocked the world when he retired immediately after winning his first UFC bout. But since then he hasn't gone far from the sport - all the while helping to make the difference in the li read news >>

Ulka Sasaki Replaces Retired Paddy Holohan at UFC Fight Night 87

Friday evening, the UFC announced that Japan's Ulka Sasaki will step in as Paddy Holohan's replacement against Willie Gates at UFC Fight Night 87. read news >>

UFC Renews Partnership with the International Mixed Martial Arts Federation

UFC today announced the renewal of its partnership with the International Mixed Martial Arts Federation (IMMAF). read news >>

UFC to Induct 2016 Hall of Fame Class Following UFC 200

UFC on Tuesday announced that it will induct its 2016 Hall of Fame class at the UFC Fan Expo following UFC 200. read news >>

Holly Holm Possible UFC on FOX 20 Headliner; Gilbert Melendez vs. Edson Barboza Announced

• a day ago

UFC on FOX 20 received a bout pitting Gilbert Melendez vs. Edson Barboza, and could also include Holly Holm and Anthony Johnson's next fights. read news >>

With Paddy Holohan's retirement, Willie Gates gets new UFC Fight Night 87 opponent

With Paddy Holohan officially announcing his retirement on Monday, Willie Gates has a new opponent for next month’s UFC Fight Night 87 event.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Jon Jones vs. Daniel Cormier 2 Announced for UFC 200: Full Match Card, Reaction

After pulling Conor McGregor from the card, the UFC needed to do something drastic to ensure UFC 200 would live up to its status as one of the most highly anticipated pay-per-views of 2016. The compa read news >>