TOKYO -- Japanese entertainment management group J-Rock announced Monday that it will host a one-time MMA event called “Astra” dedicated to the retirement of J-Rock client Hidehiko Yoshida.

The show will be held at the 14,000-seat Nippon Budokan in Tokyo on April 25. Yoshida, a 1992 Olympic judo gold medalist and Japanese MMA superstar, will headline against a yet-to-be-determined opponent.

“As a long-time judo athlete, the Nippon Budokan is a very special venue for me,” Yoshida said. “There's something special about ending my career there.”

Yoshida indicated physical deterioration over the course of his nearly eight-year career as the impetus behind his retirement decision.

“I wanted to announce my retirement on New Year's Eve, but so many things were happening with Dynamite and Sengoku that I just couldn't do it then,” he said. “As I continued fighting, I was feeling sorry for the fans that came out and paid to see me, even though I could not physically perform at my very best to satisfy them.”

The card will also feature a host of Yoshida's pupils: UFC and Pride veteran Kazuhiro Nakamura, 2000 Sydney Games judo gold medalist Makoto Takimoto, standout featherweight Michihiro Omigawa and unbeaten prospect Tatsunao Nagakura.

J-Rock President and former World Victory Road Director Takahiro Kokuho stated that Astra would feature nine or 10 bouts and could include fighters from other promotions such as Dream or Strikeforce.

“There are so many fighters I'd like to fight against,” Yoshida said. “I don't know if my wish will come true, but my most interesting fight was against Wanderlei Silva. I know it wouldn't be possible now, but I'd like to have a retirement bout as exciting as that one was against whomever I do end up fighting.”

One of 2009's breakout fighters, Yoshida understudy Michihiro Omigawa tabbed WEC featherweight champion Jose Aldo and Dream featherweight champion Bibiano Fernandes as the fighters he would most like to face.

Broadcast details for Astra were also tentative. Kokuho claimed to be working out a deal with Japanese premium cable network Skyperfect TV for a pay-per-view broadcast. Kokuho also said he is planning to broadcast the event internationally, but he could not comment on specifics.

Alexander Gustafsson vs. Rogerio Nogueira Headlines Next UFC Event in Brazil |

UFC officials announced that Alexander Gustafsson and Rogerio Nogueira would headline UFC Fight Night Sao Paulo, adding a slew of other bouts to the card. read news >>

Legacy FC 60 Results and Highlights: Brian Heden Retires Tyler East |

Legacy FC 60 headliner Tyler East announced his retirement from MMA after rival Brian Heden knocked him out. read news >>

Vitor Belfort to announce retirement after UFC 204

UFC legend Vitor Belfort could be retiring after his fight against Gegard Mousasi at UFC 204.The big story line of UFC 204 is legend Dan Henderson looking to claim the one belt that has eluded him by read news >>

Dan Henderson Stands By Retirement Talk, Calls It a Career at UFC 204 |

Dan Henderson has been competing in MMA for nearly two decades, but he confirmed that UFC 204 was the last time we will see him fighting in the Octagon. read news >>

Bellator MMA Announces Back-to-Back Events |

Bellator announced the promotion’s first ever Friday/Saturday doubleheader event with Bellator 166 and Bellator 167 taking place on consecutive nights. read news >>

Conor McGregor fined $150,000 for UFC 202 press conference melee

The NSAC have announced Conor McGregor's punishment for his role in theUFC 202 press conference meleeThe Nevada State Athletic Commission unanimous voted to handa Conor McGregor a fine$150,000 ( read news >>

On verge of retirement before big call, Alessandro Ricci now wants on UFC 206 in Toronto

Alessandro Ricci apparently wasn’t too very far away from deciding to call it quits on his MMA career. Then the phone rang.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Ronda Rousey to return at UFC 207, will face Amanda Nunes for bantamweight title

Dana White announced Ronda Rousey will return at UFC 207 in December and fight title-holder Amanda Nunes. read news >>

Ronda Rousey is back, will fight Amanda Nunes at UFC 207

The UFC announced today that Ronda Rousey will make her long-awaited return Dec. 30 in Las Vegas. read news >>

Ronda Rousey vs. Amanda Nunes Fight Announced for UFC 207: Details and Reaction

Ronda Rousey will make her return to the Ultimate Fighting Championship against women's bantamweight champion Amanda Nunes at UFC 207 on December 30, UFC President Dana White announced Wednesday. Row read news >>