TOKYO -- Japanese entertainment management group J-Rock announced Monday that it will host a one-time MMA event called “Astra” dedicated to the retirement of J-Rock client Hidehiko Yoshida.

The show will be held at the 14,000-seat Nippon Budokan in Tokyo on April 25. Yoshida, a 1992 Olympic judo gold medalist and Japanese MMA superstar, will headline against a yet-to-be-determined opponent.

“As a long-time judo athlete, the Nippon Budokan is a very special venue for me,” Yoshida said. “There's something special about ending my career there.”

Yoshida indicated physical deterioration over the course of his nearly eight-year career as the impetus behind his retirement decision.

“I wanted to announce my retirement on New Year's Eve, but so many things were happening with Dynamite and Sengoku that I just couldn't do it then,” he said. “As I continued fighting, I was feeling sorry for the fans that came out and paid to see me, even though I could not physically perform at my very best to satisfy them.”

The card will also feature a host of Yoshida's pupils: UFC and Pride veteran Kazuhiro Nakamura, 2000 Sydney Games judo gold medalist Makoto Takimoto, standout featherweight Michihiro Omigawa and unbeaten prospect Tatsunao Nagakura.

J-Rock President and former World Victory Road Director Takahiro Kokuho stated that Astra would feature nine or 10 bouts and could include fighters from other promotions such as Dream or Strikeforce.

“There are so many fighters I'd like to fight against,” Yoshida said. “I don't know if my wish will come true, but my most interesting fight was against Wanderlei Silva. I know it wouldn't be possible now, but I'd like to have a retirement bout as exciting as that one was against whomever I do end up fighting.”

One of 2009's breakout fighters, Yoshida understudy Michihiro Omigawa tabbed WEC featherweight champion Jose Aldo and Dream featherweight champion Bibiano Fernandes as the fighters he would most like to face.

Broadcast details for Astra were also tentative. Kokuho claimed to be working out a deal with Japanese premium cable network Skyperfect TV for a pay-per-view broadcast. Kokuho also said he is planning to broadcast the event internationally, but he could not comment on specifics.

Miesha Tate Retires from UFC: Latest Details, Comments, Reaction

MMA fighter Miesha Tate announced her retirement from the UFC on Saturday evening. "It's not my time anymore," she announced, per SportsCenter, after losing a unanimous decision to Raquel Pennington  read news >>

Kyle Noke Retires After UFC Melbourne Loss | MMAWeekly.com

UFC welterweight Kyle Noke announced his retirement via Twitter following his decision loss to Omari Akhmedov at UFC Fight Night 101. read news >>

Stripping Conor McGregor of his UFC featherweight title makes some sense – but not like this

On Saturday the UFC announced that Conor McGregor will be “relinquishing” his UFC featherweight title. It almost made sense, until you took a few seconds to think about the obvious reasoning behind i read news >>

Bellator MMA Returns to Kansas in January | MMAWeekly.com

Bellator MMA announced on Monday the first two fights for "Bellator 171" which will take place inside Kansas Star Arena in Mulvane, Kansas, on January 27. read news >>

'Mixed Martial Arts Athletes Association' Fighters Union Announced

Former UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre helped announce the launch of the Mixed Martial Arts Athlete Association on Wednesday. Ariel Helwani of MMA Fighting passed along comments from GSP, read news >>

UFC Stars Avoid Union Designation, but Announce Fighter Association | MMAWeekly.com

A five-member board consisting of UFC fighters and former champions announced on Wednesday the formation of the Mixed Martial Arts Athletes Association. read news >>

Tim Kennedy vs. Kelvin Gastelum is Finally Official for UFC 206 | MMAWeekly.com

Wednesday was a good day for Tim Kennedy. He announced the new Mixed Martial Arts Athletes Association and got approval for his next fight. read news >>

UFC Anaheim Announcement

UFC® announced today that its Jan. 21 Pay-Per-View event at Honda Center in Anaheim, California has been rescheduled to Aug. 5. The event will remain a Pay-Per-View broadcast. read news >>

Patrick Cummins Withdraws from UFC Albany Bout with Gian Villante | MMAWeekly.com

• 13 hours ago

Patrick Cummins announced on Friday that he has withdrawn from his scheduled fight with Gian Villante. read news >>

UFC 205: Conor McGregor vs. Eddie Alvarez video highlights

Conor McGregor famously announced he didn’t come to the UFC to take part, he came to take over. After crushing Eddie Alvarez to win his second belt in two weight classes, it appears the takeover is i read news >>