TOKYO -- Japanese entertainment management group J-Rock announced Monday that it will host a one-time MMA event called “Astra” dedicated to the retirement of J-Rock client Hidehiko Yoshida.

The show will be held at the 14,000-seat Nippon Budokan in Tokyo on April 25. Yoshida, a 1992 Olympic judo gold medalist and Japanese MMA superstar, will headline against a yet-to-be-determined opponent.

“As a long-time judo athlete, the Nippon Budokan is a very special venue for me,” Yoshida said. “There's something special about ending my career there.”

Yoshida indicated physical deterioration over the course of his nearly eight-year career as the impetus behind his retirement decision.

“I wanted to announce my retirement on New Year's Eve, but so many things were happening with Dynamite and Sengoku that I just couldn't do it then,” he said. “As I continued fighting, I was feeling sorry for the fans that came out and paid to see me, even though I could not physically perform at my very best to satisfy them.”

The card will also feature a host of Yoshida's pupils: UFC and Pride veteran Kazuhiro Nakamura, 2000 Sydney Games judo gold medalist Makoto Takimoto, standout featherweight Michihiro Omigawa and unbeaten prospect Tatsunao Nagakura.

J-Rock President and former World Victory Road Director Takahiro Kokuho stated that Astra would feature nine or 10 bouts and could include fighters from other promotions such as Dream or Strikeforce.

“There are so many fighters I'd like to fight against,” Yoshida said. “I don't know if my wish will come true, but my most interesting fight was against Wanderlei Silva. I know it wouldn't be possible now, but I'd like to have a retirement bout as exciting as that one was against whomever I do end up fighting.”

One of 2009's breakout fighters, Yoshida understudy Michihiro Omigawa tabbed WEC featherweight champion Jose Aldo and Dream featherweight champion Bibiano Fernandes as the fighters he would most like to face.

Broadcast details for Astra were also tentative. Kokuho claimed to be working out a deal with Japanese premium cable network Skyperfect TV for a pay-per-view broadcast. Kokuho also said he is planning to broadcast the event internationally, but he could not comment on specifics.

BJ Penn Officially Ends UFC Retirement: Latest Details, Comments and Reaction

UFC Hall of Famer and former two-division champion BJ Penn officially announced his return to the Octagon on Tuesday. Per an interview on The MMA Hour with Ariel Helwani (via MMAFighting's Shaun Al-S read news >>

UFC Vet Chris Leben Out of Retirement, Signs with Bellator

Bellator MMA on Saturday announced its latest acquisition, the signing of former WEC middleweight champion and UFC veteran Chris "The Crippler" Leben. read news >>

Jason ‘Mayhem’ Miller Comes Out of Retirement, Faces Luke Barnatt at Venator FC III

Venator Fighting Championship announced on Tuesday that it has signed Jason "Mayhem" Miller, who will face champion Luke Barnatt at Venator FC III on May 21. read news >>

'TUF 19' runner-up Dhiego Lima headlines Legacy FC 53 in Atlanta

Former UFC fighter and “The Ultimate Fighter 19” runner-up Dhiego Lima will headline Legacy FC 53 in April.Filed under: AXS TV Fights, News read news >>

UFC Fight Pass Adds Glory Kickboxing and Eddie Bravo BJJ

UFC FIGHT PASS announced on Thursday that it has added world class kickboxing and Brazilian jiu-jitsu to its ever-expanding live event offering. read news >>

Michael Chandler Signs Multi-Year, Multi-Fight Contract Extension with Bellator MMA

• a day ago

Bellator MMA announced today that former 155-pound champion Michael Chandler has signed an exclusive multi-year, multi-fight contract extension with the promotion. read news >>

Jon Jones vs. Daniel Cormier Rematch Announced for UFC 197

More than a year after Jon Jones defeated Daniel Cormier by unanimous decision at UFC 182 to defend his light heavyweight title, the two are slated for a rematch on April 23 in Las Vegas with Cormier read news >>

Ferguson vs. Nurmagomedov Headline UFC on FOX 19, Several Other Bouts Confirmed

During Saturday’s broadcast of UFC Fight Night 82: Hendricks vs. Thompson, Ultimate Fighting Championship confirmed several bouts for UFC on FOX 19. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 82 draws 7,422 for live gate of $1.435 million

LAS VEGAS – Saturday’s UFC Fight Night 82 event drew an announced attendance of 7,422 and a live gate of $1.435 million.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC Fight Night 82 Fighter Bonuses: Diego Rivas and Wonderboy KOs Win Big

The UFC announced the recipients of the $50,000 fighter bonuses stemming from UFC Fight Night 82 during the event's post-fight press conference. read news >>