TOKYO -- Japanese entertainment management group J-Rock announced Monday that it will host a one-time MMA event called “Astra” dedicated to the retirement of J-Rock client Hidehiko Yoshida.

The show will be held at the 14,000-seat Nippon Budokan in Tokyo on April 25. Yoshida, a 1992 Olympic judo gold medalist and Japanese MMA superstar, will headline against a yet-to-be-determined opponent.

“As a long-time judo athlete, the Nippon Budokan is a very special venue for me,” Yoshida said. “There's something special about ending my career there.”

Yoshida indicated physical deterioration over the course of his nearly eight-year career as the impetus behind his retirement decision.

“I wanted to announce my retirement on New Year's Eve, but so many things were happening with Dynamite and Sengoku that I just couldn't do it then,” he said. “As I continued fighting, I was feeling sorry for the fans that came out and paid to see me, even though I could not physically perform at my very best to satisfy them.”

The card will also feature a host of Yoshida's pupils: UFC and Pride veteran Kazuhiro Nakamura, 2000 Sydney Games judo gold medalist Makoto Takimoto, standout featherweight Michihiro Omigawa and unbeaten prospect Tatsunao Nagakura.

J-Rock President and former World Victory Road Director Takahiro Kokuho stated that Astra would feature nine or 10 bouts and could include fighters from other promotions such as Dream or Strikeforce.

“There are so many fighters I'd like to fight against,” Yoshida said. “I don't know if my wish will come true, but my most interesting fight was against Wanderlei Silva. I know it wouldn't be possible now, but I'd like to have a retirement bout as exciting as that one was against whomever I do end up fighting.”

One of 2009's breakout fighters, Yoshida understudy Michihiro Omigawa tabbed WEC featherweight champion Jose Aldo and Dream featherweight champion Bibiano Fernandes as the fighters he would most like to face.

Broadcast details for Astra were also tentative. Kokuho claimed to be working out a deal with Japanese premium cable network Skyperfect TV for a pay-per-view broadcast. Kokuho also said he is planning to broadcast the event internationally, but he could not comment on specifics.

From Around the Web

Brock Lesnar Signs New WWE Contract, Dana White Reacts to Star's UFC Retirement

Brock Lesnar announced Tuesday on ESPN that he would be re-signing with the WWE after rumors of contract talks with the UFC had been circling for months. UFC president Dana White weighed in on the si read news >>

Nick Catone retires from MMA after UFC on FOX 15 injury withdrawal

After only one fight since 2012, Nick Catone has announced his retirement from MMA competition.Filed under: MMA Rumors, News, UFC read news >>

Matt Hamill: Second retirement was more about 'bad management,' not recent MMA losses

Can the former UFC mainstay make a splash in World Series of Fighting (WSOF) tonight? "It wasn't my relationship with MMA. It was my relationship with my business partners and my management and with read news >>

Renzo Gracie joins Todd Harris on commentary at WSOF 20

World Series of Fighting (WSOF) recently announced that MMA legend Renzo Gracie will be providing special guest color commentary for this weekend's WSOF 20: "Branch vs. Markes" card on April 10th. He read news >>

Nate Diaz vs. Matt Brown Announced for UFC 189: Latest Details and Reaction

A marquee MMA matchup will unfold at UFC 189 on July 11 at MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas when Nate Diaz and Matt Brown tangle in the Octagon. Fox Sports 1's UFC Tonight broke the news of the im read news >>

UFN 62’s Jorge Oliveira tests positive for stanozolol, suspended for one year

The Brazilian MMA Athletic Commission (CABMMA) announced earlier this week that all fighters who competed at the UFC Fight Night 62 event in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, on March 21, tested clean for bann read news >>

UFC's Mark Munoz on retirement: Wanted belt but 'got precious treasure at home'

As Mark Munoz prepares for his final MMA fight, the vet is disappointed he never earned a shiny gold UFC belt. But the family man believes he has something equally valuable at home.Filed under: Featu read news >>

Bellator MMA Signs Justin Lawrence To An Exclusive Multi-Fight Deal

• a day ago

Bellator MMA recently announced the signing of featherweight, Justin “The American Kid” Lawrence, to an exclusive, multi-fight deal. read news >>

Bellator 135 preview: Ryan Couture, son of a UFC legend, looks to make his own name in MMA

Former Strikeforce and UFC fighter Ryan Couture is currently working his way up Bellator's lightweight rankings after a successful debut last September. The next challenge ahead is Dakota Cochrane on read news >>