Yahoo! Sports Special: Dana White Says PRP Therapy Helps Inner Ear Disorder

• submit to reddit

The following article was written by Kevin Iole and was originally published by official MMAWeekly.com content partner Yahoo! Sports.

Dana-White-UFC-144-pre-press-4SAN JOSE, Calif. – While promoting a card in Sweden earlier this month, UFC president Dana White made a stop in Dusseldorf, Germany, to undergo an experimental treatment to help him with his Meniere’s disease.

White underwent platelet-rich plasma therapy after receiving a tip from New York Yankees third baseman Alex Rodriguez.

Meniere’s is an inner ear disorder with symptoms that include vertigo. The symptoms, at their worst, could require White to lie quietly for many hours at a time, rendering him unable to work.

White underwent surgery in the United States last year and said the procedure didn’t help much. He was, however, enthused about the results from the PRP therapy.

“It was [expletive] amazing; just amazing,” a jovial White said Thursday at the HP Pavilion, where he is promoting a card on Saturday. “I’m done. I’m good. I’m still going to eat the way I’m supposed to eat and do what I’m supposed to do, but when I tell you that healed me, wow. Literally, I got the shot on a Sunday at 3:30 in the afternoon. I had the shot at 3:30 in the afternoon in Germany. I flew home [to Las Vegas] and got home late Sunday night.

“I got up on Monday morning to fly to Stanford. I spoke at Stanford business school. I flew back and was in the office for a while and when I woke up on Tuesday, I felt like Superman. I almost flew to work.”

White has had persistent symptoms, more than 11 times a month. At one postfight news conference, he was so dizzy as he was standing that he tightly gripped the podium so he wouldn’t fall over.

The therapy removes platelets from the blood, which are then injected back into the area. White had a large needle mark still visible on his right arm.

He held up a 32-ounce bottle of water and said the nurse took three similarly sized bottles of his blood.

“The lady asked me, ‘Do you have problems with needles?’ ” White said. “And I’m like, ‘Nope. Don’t bother me at all.’ She sticks the needle in me and I’m like, ‘Oh my God. This lady doesn’t know what she’s doing. That hurt.’ I looked down and they had a Slurpee straw in my arm.”

White said the blood was spun and then several days later, he returned and doctors had a yellowish substance that they removed from the blood and injected into him.

Los Angeles Lakers star Kobe Bryant, Pope John Paul II and actor George Clooney are among other celebrities to undergo the procedure.

White was told it works well for those who are suffering from Parkinson’s disease, so he called noted boxing trainer Freddie Roach and recommended it to him. Roach has a bad case of trauma-induced Parkinson’s.

White is now a huge booster.

“I haven’t felt this good in two years,” he said. “I was having attacks every single day. Every day. Some were worse than others, and it’s not like I was having attacks every day where I was down for nine hours, but I’d have to go lay down in my office for 15 minutes or something.

“I always felt dizzy. I never felt good. When I tried to work out, the music in the gym was killing me. The music was killing me. I’m working out like a maniac now. I’ve never felt so good in my life.”

UFC President Dana White made himself available for a full hour earlier this afternoon, answering a ton of questions from fans in attendance at the Fan Expo at Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas, Nevada. Hear what White had to say about the fighting futures of Georges St-Pierre, Nick Diaz and, of course, Gina Carano, as well as slog though the litany of requests to do dumb things. All that and much, much more. more

There has never been a combat athlete like Ronda Rousey since the beginning of time, according to Dana White.
Like the rest of the world, the UFC President was absolutely stunned by Rousey’s 16-second knockout win over Alexis Davis at UFC 175. In a post-fight interview with ESPN, White called Rousey a “game-changer.” There’s women who can play basketball. They play in the WNBA, people [shrug it off]. In women’s golf, [people shrug it off], every sport. Ronda Rousey is a woman who can walk down t more

According to UFC President Dana White, Chad Mendes can still receive his rematch with featherweight champion Jose Aldo, he just won't get it on Aug. 2 at UFC 176 as originally scheduled. MMA Junkie's Steven Marrocco reported that White remains willing to reschedule the rematch, and the UFC president is not yet looking for a replacement for the injured champion. “Aldo is going to be out 45 days – the Mendes/Aldo fight can still happen," White said. After Frankie Edgar's lopsided TKO victory over more

The anticipation to see Holly Holm compete inside the Octagon has been brewing for quite some time.
The boxing champion-turned-mixed martial artist potentially signing with the UFC has been a hot topic over the past year, and last Thursday, the waiting game came to an end as the Albuquerque native officially inked a deal with the biggest promotion in MMA.
UFC President Dana White broke the news via his Twitter account, as he posted a picture of Holm's signed contract, which instantly sparked spe more

UFC President Dana White says he and Lorenzo Fertitta are willing to do whatever it takes to get Gina Carano into the UFC and straight into a title shot against women’s bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey. more

The last time fans saw Tyrone Spong in action the result was a horrific injury. Now, UFC President Dana White is hinting that the next time we see Spong fight, it could be inside the Octagon.
While speaking at the post-fight press conference for UFC Fight Night: McGregor vs. Brandao, White surprised everyone by saying "The King of the Ring" Spong was in the building.
"I've got Tyrone Spong back here telling me, ‘Sign me for one fight,'" White said.
Spong last competed under the Glory promotion a more

Dana White hasn't had this much trouble trying to sign a fighter since Va-dummy laughed in his face at some remote Russian outpost.
Facebook relationship status: It's complicated.
Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) President Dana White was grilled by the mixed martial arts (MMA) media last Saturday night (July 26, 2014) at the UFC on FOX 12 post-fight press conference (watch it), as reporters wanted to know if he made good on his promise to "get that f---ing deal done."
His answer? "It's compl more

• 12 hours ago

Nick Diaz has said over and over that he'd really only wants to fight superfights or for titles. He was granted a superfight with Anderson Silva and, if he wins, he could get a title shot. more

The UFC president spoke on Fox Sports 1 about the decision to fire the fighter and announcer that he had openly speculated could take his place just last month.
Here's what UFC bossman Dana White said on some UFC related show on Fox Sports 1 tonight about firing announcer Chael Sonnen -- who was pulled off Saturday's UFC 175 card after failing a urine test for banned substances, then retired as an MMA fighter and was fired as an announcer Monday after it was revealed a blood test caught ANOTHER more