Nick Newell XFCAfter winning his first six fights in under two minutes each, XFC lightweight prospect Nick “Notorious” Newell was in for a decidedly more difficult time in his last bout this past April versus Chris Coggins.

For the first time in his career, Newell went the full three rounds, and while he managed to pull off the victory, he acknowledges how dire things became during the fight.

“Basically that second round I just got killed,” he said. “I learned a lot about myself. I’m kind of proud of myself for not tapping out. Most people probably would have, but I kind of pushed through and showed people my heart.

“Definitely Chris was a very tough fighter. I don’t think I performed to my full potential, but I needed that fight. I learned more from that fight than I had from all my previous fights combined. It was good to have that war, and luckily I came out on top.”

Newell will hope to capitalize on what he’s learned from his last fight as he heads into XFC 19 in Charlotte, N.C., against David Mays on Aug. 3 in a feature bout to air live on AXS TV.

“It’s another tough fight; I’m not getting any easy fights in the XFC,” said Newell. “(Mays) is a short, pretty stocky guy, and he looks strong and like he’s a pretty good wrestler, but I doubt he’s as good at wrestling as I am. I think wherever the fight goes; I’m going to out-class him.

“Technically-speaking, I’m better standing up and on the ground. He’s tough because he’s always in good shape and always moves forward, so I’ll be ready for that.”

Newell has earned a bit of attention for competing with only one full arm (the other being amputated below his elbow), which could lead people to wonder if his opponents underestimate him. As Newell puts it, if anyone underestimates him, it’s on them and he’s more than happy to take advantage of it.

“I’m going to be in his face. I’m going to be on him. So he’s going to be ready for a different type of fight than my last one, where I kind of sat back,” said Newell. “If he comes at me too careless, I’m going to catch him.

“You can underestimate me all you want, it doesn’t bother me one bit. I’m still going to come and try to take your head off.”

Still in the early stages of his career, Newell told MMAWeekly.com that for now all he wants to do is continue to compete and work his way up the ranks. Whatever comes after is fine with him, he’s just happy being able to live out his dream.

“I just kind of go wherever the path takes me,” he said. “The XFC picked me up when nobody really gave me a chance and I appreciate the opportunity. They do a great job and they’ve proven that they are a great league to fight for.

“I just look forward to fighting tougher and tougher fighters. I can definitely compete with anyone in the world; no matter whoever (it is), I’m ready.”

E-mail Mick Hammond
For more UFC News and UFC Rumors, follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

Conor McGregor would 'most certainly' box Floyd Mayweather if he got the chance

  • 2 days ago
  • 73 views

Conor McGregor has had two potential opponents for UFC 189 in the last week. But Thursday night he was asked to think about another, albeit far-fetched, foe: Floyd Mayweather Jr. The UFC superstar, w read news >>

Mark Hunt: Walk-off knockout a sign of respect to downed opponents

  • 4 days ago
  • 64 views

In mixed martial arts (MMA), there isn't anything sweeter than seeing a walk-off, one-punch knockout. And no one does it better than hard-hitting UFC heavyweight Mark Hunt, who has made it a habit to read news >>

UFC Fight Night 69 staff picks: Anyone picking 7-1 underdog Penne over champ Jedrzejczyk

  • 16 days ago
  • 21 views

Only one of the four fights on Saturday’s UFC Fight Night 69 card is in dispute among MMAjunkie’s editors, writers and radio hosts. The other three are blowouts.Filed under: Featured Videos, News, UF read news >>

‘Disappointed’ Albert Tumenov unconvinced with opponent’s withdrawal, wants Silva/Story winner next

  • 20 days ago
  • 3 views

UFC welterweight Albert Tumenov expressed his disappointment following his opponent’s withdrawal ahead of UFC 188. read news >>

So Yair Rodriguez wasn’t the only one to toss his cookies at UFC 188

  • 21 days ago
  • 13 views

Yair Rodriguez holds the dubious distinction of being the guy to lose his lunch on camera at UFC 188. According to UFC President Dana White, he was far from the only one to get sick at the mile-high read news >>

Albert Tumenov says UFC 188 opponents weren't injured and used 'trick moves'

  • 21 days ago
  • 0 views

MEXICO CITY -- Albert Tumenov talks about the feeling when he found out his UFC 188 bout was cancelled, receiving his show money, when he wants to fight again, and more. read news >>

UFC 188 staff picks: Is anyone picking 4-1 underdog Fabricio Werdum?

  • 23 days ago
  • 43 views

Only one of the five fights on Saturday’s UFC 188 card is truly a contentious one among MMAjunkie’s editors, writers and radio hosts. The other four are unanimous or near unanimous. Filed under: Feat read news >>

UFC 190 media day staredowns

  • 24 days ago
  • 16 views

RIO DE JANEIRO -- Watch twin brothers Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira and Antonio Rogerio Nogueira face off with UFC 190 opponents Stefan Struve and Mauricio Rua, respectively, during a media day on Wednesd read news >>

Matt Mitrione vs Ben Rothwell full fight video preview: UFC Fight Night 68

  • 29 days ago
  • 57 views

Two massive heavyweights, but only one spot in the division top 10. Whether or not Ben Rothwell stay there -- or trades places with Matt Mitrione -- all depends on who wins their 265-pound showdown i read news >>