World Series of Fighting Promises “Stacked Card” Each and Every Show


Andrei Arlovski at UFC53The debut fight card for new promotion World Series of Fighting boasts several UFC and Strikeforce veterans, as well as the MMA debut of one of the most feared kickboxers in the world.

Five main card fights will be shown on NBC Sports Network headed up by former UFC heavyweight champion Andrei Arlovski taking on Strikeforce veteran Devin Cole. Kickboxing-star-turned-MMA-fighter Tyrone Spong will also make his long awaited debut after spending the last year-plus working with the Blackzilian camp in Florida.

The undercard is also littered with recognizable names from the sport including an intriguing welterweight match-up between Gerald Harris and Josh Burkman.

It’s rare that a first time promotion would not only try to stack a televised card, but also an undercard that won’t be on TV.

World Series of Fighting Senior Vice President and matchmaker Ali Abdel-Aziz says the idea is to give fans something they will always want to watch, not just a few fights that make the main card.

“I’ve been around the sport for a little while now. I fought for a little bit, and managing guys, and coming from a great camp like Renzo Gracie‘s and Greg Jackson, I understand the sport a little bit. I kind of understand the dynamic of every fighter and what every fighter brings to the table,” Abdel-Aziz told MMAWeekly Radio.

“Guys like Arlovski, Anthony Johnson, Tyrone Spong, Gregor Gracie, and Miguel Torres, these are guys that are already household names in America, and they all put on exciting fights. They each have their own story, and I think fans want to see these guys fight.”

The first card out of the gate on Nov. 3 will obviously be important, but it’s also setting the tone for the future of the promotion.

They don’t plan on slowing down with great shows each time they put on an event, because anything less would be cheating the fans out of watching the fighters they want to see.

“I’m going to promise the fans, promise the media and promise everyone, every fight I’m going to put together is going to be a stacked card. That’s what the fans want to see; that’s what the fans deserve to see,” Abdel-Aziz stated.

The debut card will air on NBC Sports Network on Nov 3, but plans are already in place for several shows in 2013. The plan is to complete the first show and then begin strategizing for the second card in January of next year.

Bantamweight prospect Tyson Nam is already expected to be a part of the January card, and more names will be announced in the coming weeks. Several fighters from this first card could also be a part of the second World Series of Fighting show, and they plan on building new stars as well.

“There’s going to be some announcements right after the card,” said Abdel-Aziz. “There’s going to be some very exciting match-ups for our January show.”

Stay tuned to MMAWeekly.com for all of your MMA news and updates.

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

  • 22 days ago
  • 0 views

World Series of Fighting has added a lightweight contest between Brazilian veteran Jorge Patino and Floridian Eric Reynolds to the televised main card of next weekend’s WSOF 15. read news >>

  • 15 days ago
  • 0 views

World Series of Fighting announced today that it will bring an event to Sacramento, Calif. on Saturday, Dec. 13. read news >>

  • 27 days ago
  • 3 views

Two World Series of Fighting title fights are on the line on December 13th, as Rousimar Palhares takes on Jon Fitch in the welterweight division, while Rick Glenn makes his first featherweight belt d read news >>

  • 21 days ago
  • 0 views

World Series of Fighting (WSOF) announced that Jorge "Macaco" Patino will battle Eric Reynolds in a live NBCSN televised lightweight contest at WSOF 15 in Tampa, Fla. on Nov. 15, 2014. World Series o read news >>

  • 20 days ago
  • 8 views

World Series of Fighting (WSOF) welterweight Ryan Ford has been suspended for six months following his WSOF 14 main event loss to Jake Shields, which took place last month inside Edmonton EXPO Centre read news >>

  • 20 days ago
  • 3 views

World Series of Fighting welterweight Ryan Ford has been handed a six-month suspension by the Edmonton Combative Sports Commission after failing to disclose a broken arm ahead of WSOF 14. read news >>

  • 20 days ago
  • 2 views

World Series of Fighting Canadian welterweight champion Ryan Ford has been suspended for six months for failing to reveal an injury prior to his most recent fight. read news >>

  • 20 days ago
  • 1 views

Former World Series of Fighting welterweight champion Steve Carl is officially a free agent. read news >>

  • 19 days ago
  • 1 views

Seven months ago, Steve Carl was the World Series of Fighting welterweight champion. On Thursday, he was unemployed in professional MMA. After significant protest from the fighter and his management read news >>

Jump to: