Holly HolmFollowing a year and a half layoff from MMA, boxing champion Holly “Preacher’s Daughter” Holm returned to the sport this past February with a second-round TKO stoppage of Katie Merrill at Bellator 91.

The win not only signified Holm’s return to MMA, but also helped her realize that her future lay in this sport rather than in the one she had accomplished so much in.

“I had two (MMA) fights in 2011 and had been wanting to get back since then,” said Holm. “It was just a great opportunity and actually after that (Bellator) fight and the next boxing match (against Mary McGee in May) I told my coach I was done with boxing.

“I’m just really excited about MMA and I feel like I’ve improved a lot and I’m excited about the fight coming up. I want to take what doors are open and make the best of it. When I felt like my passion for boxing was fading, I decided to make the full jump over.”

Holm (3-0) will look to remain undefeated in MMA as takes on Allanna Jones (2-2) in her promotional debut at Legacy FC 21 in Houston on Friday night. The event airs live on AXS TV.

“I think she’s pretty composed, confident and has had challenges already in her career. So I feel like any time you fight someone like that, it’s a threat,” said Holm of Jones. “She’s not afraid to get in there and has the confidence in herself to do well, so I think that’s the biggest thing to fear in her is her confidence.

“I don’t like to look too much into an exact plan, because you never know what’s going to happen. We have a Plan A and a Plan B and we’ll see how things go.”

With such a storied background in boxing, it would be easy for people to label Holm a one-dimensional fighter, but she told MMAWeekly.com that assessment couldn’t be further from the truth.

“I think I have a lot more that people haven’t seen,” she said. “I think I’m improving every day. It’s not going to happen overnight by any means, but I feel like there’s a lot that people haven’t seen me do.

“My only hope and my goal is to show people what I have learned in training. I want to get in there and show it when it counts.”

Having been on boxing’s biggest stages and fought some of that sport’s premier fighters such as Christy Martin and Mia St. John, Holm will be able to put aside any of the outside distractions that come with fighting live on nationally broadcasted TV and focus solely on her fight Friday night.

“I feel like it’s helped me prepare with things mentally,” she said. “When you’ve gone through something that’s a big challenge, it gives you a lot of confidence to overcome the next challenge. It’s helped me be a little more focused and not let the little things get to me.

“Whether people are watching or not, I want to win just as badly, and so I feel like the experience I’ve had with the bigger things in boxing have helped me zone that stuff out and not let it work me up so much.”

Be sure to Like MMAWeekly.com on Facebook and Follow @MMAWeeklycom on Twitter.

Quentin Henry Not Ruffled by Legacy FC 57 Shift in Opponent

Middleweight prospect Quentin Henry isn't ruffled by late-replacement opponent for Friday's Legacy FC 57. read news >>

Derrick Krantz Looking to Rebound Against Dave Burrow at Legacy FC 57

Derrick Krantz (17-9) will look to rebound at Legacy FC 57 in Shreveport, Louisiana, against Dave Burrow (14-7) in a welterweight bout on July 1. read news >>

Andy Nguyen To Defend Her KOTC Title After Legacy FC 57 Fight Against Bi Nguyen

Nguyen returns to Legacy FC this Friday in Shreveport, Louisiana, to take on a fighter she’s very familiar with in the debuting Bi Nguyen in a main card bout. read news >>

Tony Kelley Heads Into Legacy FC 57 Title Fight Knowing He’s Facing a ‘Big Test’

Tony Kelley will have his biggest test as a pro to date when he takes on Kevin Aguilar for the vacant Legacy FC 145-pound title in the main event on Friday. read news >>

For Legacy’s Kevin Aguilar, It’s All About the Victory; The Title is Just a Bonus

For Legacy FC's Kevin Aguilar, it's all about the fight and the victory. The fact that he would win a title on Friday night is just an added bonus. read news >>

Legacy FC 57 Results and Highlights: Kevin Aguilar Captures Featherweight Title

Four first-round finishes and a five-round championship war highlight another thrilling night of fights at Legacy FC 57. Check out the results and highlights. read news >>

Jim Miller vs. Takanori Gomi: Results, Winner and Reaction from UFC 200

Jim Miller made sure UFC 200 started with a bang. So did Takanori Gomi, in his own way. Gomi, the Japanese legend and former Pride lightweight kingpin, suffered his third consecutive first-round knoc read news >>

Conor McGregor and Holly Holm Win ESPYS

Featherweight champion Conor McGregor and former women's bantamweight titleholder Holly Holm took home ESPY awards Wednesday night at ESPN's annual award show. read news >>

UFC Chicago Free Fight: The Win That Earned Holly Holm a Crack at Ronda Rousey

Holly Holm climbed up the UFC bantamweight rankings with a victory over Marion Reneau to earn her shot at Ronda Rousey. read news >>

UFC on FOX 20 Road to the Octagon: Holly Holm vs. Valentina Shevchenko

Go inside the lives and training camps of 18-time world champion boxer Holly Holm and 17-time World Muay Thai champion Valentina Shevchenko. read news >>