Holly HolmFollowing a year and a half layoff from MMA, boxing champion Holly “Preacher’s Daughter” Holm returned to the sport this past February with a second-round TKO stoppage of Katie Merrill at Bellator 91.

The win not only signified Holm’s return to MMA, but also helped her realize that her future lay in this sport rather than in the one she had accomplished so much in.

“I had two (MMA) fights in 2011 and had been wanting to get back since then,” said Holm. “It was just a great opportunity and actually after that (Bellator) fight and the next boxing match (against Mary McGee in May) I told my coach I was done with boxing.

“I’m just really excited about MMA and I feel like I’ve improved a lot and I’m excited about the fight coming up. I want to take what doors are open and make the best of it. When I felt like my passion for boxing was fading, I decided to make the full jump over.”

Holm (3-0) will look to remain undefeated in MMA as takes on Allanna Jones (2-2) in her promotional debut at Legacy FC 21 in Houston on Friday night. The event airs live on AXS TV.

“I think she’s pretty composed, confident and has had challenges already in her career. So I feel like any time you fight someone like that, it’s a threat,” said Holm of Jones. “She’s not afraid to get in there and has the confidence in herself to do well, so I think that’s the biggest thing to fear in her is her confidence.

“I don’t like to look too much into an exact plan, because you never know what’s going to happen. We have a Plan A and a Plan B and we’ll see how things go.”

With such a storied background in boxing, it would be easy for people to label Holm a one-dimensional fighter, but she told MMAWeekly.com that assessment couldn’t be further from the truth.

“I think I have a lot more that people haven’t seen,” she said. “I think I’m improving every day. It’s not going to happen overnight by any means, but I feel like there’s a lot that people haven’t seen me do.

“My only hope and my goal is to show people what I have learned in training. I want to get in there and show it when it counts.”

Having been on boxing’s biggest stages and fought some of that sport’s premier fighters such as Christy Martin and Mia St. John, Holm will be able to put aside any of the outside distractions that come with fighting live on nationally broadcasted TV and focus solely on her fight Friday night.

“I feel like it’s helped me prepare with things mentally,” she said. “When you’ve gone through something that’s a big challenge, it gives you a lot of confidence to overcome the next challenge. It’s helped me be a little more focused and not let the little things get to me.

“Whether people are watching or not, I want to win just as badly, and so I feel like the experience I’ve had with the bigger things in boxing have helped me zone that stuff out and not let it work me up so much.”

Be sure to Like MMAWeekly.com on Facebook and Follow @MMAWeeklycom on Twitter.

Chris 'Lights Out' Lytle is Fighting the Good Fight Outside of the UFC Cage | MMAWeekly.com

Retired UFC welterweight contender Chris "Lights Out" Lytle fought with heart inside the cage and is using his former fighter status to change lives. read news >>

UFC 208: Holly Holm vs. Germaine De Randamie Full Card Preview and Predictions

UFC 207 capped 2016 with a bang, and now the UFC gets to kick off what could be the single most important year in the promotion's history. The UFC is still reeling from its jam-packed Autumn and actu read news >>

Jon Jones, Demetrious Johnson Agree: Ronda Rousey Should Return to the UFC

Much like when Ronda Rousey lost to Holly Holm at UFC 193 in 2015, there was a fair bit of schadenfreude on display following her UFC 207 defeat at the hands of Amanda Nunes. People ranging from anon read news >>

Ronda Rousey's Coach Edmond Tarverdyan Says When She Should Retire (video) | MMAWeekly.com

Leading up to Ronda Rousey's fight against Holly Holm at UFC 193, her coach, Edmond Tarverdyan, talked about when she should retire. read news >>

Steven Peterson Hoping to Win LFA Title and Move On to UFC | MMAWeekly.com

Steven Peterson will look to unite his Legacy FC championship with the RFA title held by Leandro Higo to form the first Legacy Fighting Alliance 135-pound title. read news >>

Holly Holm Poised to Steal Spotlight Back After Ronda Rousey's Loss

Finally, the hysterical takes regarding the rise and fall of a certain UFC gender-barrier breaker have begun to subside. It took more than a week for professional hot-air machines to target the next read news >>

Floyd Mayweather Comments on Ronda Rousey After UFC 207 Loss to Amanda Nunes

Retired boxing icon Floyd Mayweather Jr. has offered crestfallen UFC superstar Ronda Rousey some words of encouragement following her second successive career defeat, which came against Amanda Nunes read news >>

Megan Anderson Wins Interim 145-Pound Title, Calls out Holly Holm and Germaine de Randamie (Invicta FC 21 Results) | MMA

Megan Anderson made a statement on Saturday night at Invicta FC 21, and in more than one way. read news >>

Tito Ortiz Bows Out, Twitter Weighs In... Including Ken Shamrock | MMAWeekly.com

• a day ago

Tito Ortiz retired Saturday following a first-round finish of Chael Sonnen at Bellator 170. Following his final fight, fighters paid their respect on Twitter. read news >>

Now-retired Tito Ortiz plans to enjoy family, but eyes working for Bellator in future

• a day ago

INGLEWOOD, Calif. – The newly retired Tito Ortiz will take some time off in the short term. He isn’t done with with the sport – he’s just done fighting.Filed under: Bellator, Featured Videos, News, V read news >>