Holly HolmFollowing a year and a half layoff from MMA, boxing champion Holly “Preacher’s Daughter” Holm returned to the sport this past February with a second-round TKO stoppage of Katie Merrill at Bellator 91.

The win not only signified Holm’s return to MMA, but also helped her realize that her future lay in this sport rather than in the one she had accomplished so much in.

“I had two (MMA) fights in 2011 and had been wanting to get back since then,” said Holm. “It was just a great opportunity and actually after that (Bellator) fight and the next boxing match (against Mary McGee in May) I told my coach I was done with boxing.

“I’m just really excited about MMA and I feel like I’ve improved a lot and I’m excited about the fight coming up. I want to take what doors are open and make the best of it. When I felt like my passion for boxing was fading, I decided to make the full jump over.”

Holm (3-0) will look to remain undefeated in MMA as takes on Allanna Jones (2-2) in her promotional debut at Legacy FC 21 in Houston on Friday night. The event airs live on AXS TV.

“I think she’s pretty composed, confident and has had challenges already in her career. So I feel like any time you fight someone like that, it’s a threat,” said Holm of Jones. “She’s not afraid to get in there and has the confidence in herself to do well, so I think that’s the biggest thing to fear in her is her confidence.

“I don’t like to look too much into an exact plan, because you never know what’s going to happen. We have a Plan A and a Plan B and we’ll see how things go.”

With such a storied background in boxing, it would be easy for people to label Holm a one-dimensional fighter, but she told MMAWeekly.com that assessment couldn’t be further from the truth.

“I think I have a lot more that people haven’t seen,” she said. “I think I’m improving every day. It’s not going to happen overnight by any means, but I feel like there’s a lot that people haven’t seen me do.

“My only hope and my goal is to show people what I have learned in training. I want to get in there and show it when it counts.”

Having been on boxing’s biggest stages and fought some of that sport’s premier fighters such as Christy Martin and Mia St. John, Holm will be able to put aside any of the outside distractions that come with fighting live on nationally broadcasted TV and focus solely on her fight Friday night.

“I feel like it’s helped me prepare with things mentally,” she said. “When you’ve gone through something that’s a big challenge, it gives you a lot of confidence to overcome the next challenge. It’s helped me be a little more focused and not let the little things get to me.

“Whether people are watching or not, I want to win just as badly, and so I feel like the experience I’ve had with the bigger things in boxing have helped me zone that stuff out and not let it work me up so much.”

Be sure to Like MMAWeekly.com on Facebook and Follow @MMAWeeklycom on Twitter.

Anthony Pettis and Eddie Alvarez Battle to Regain Lost Luster at Fight Night 81

Anthony Pettis and Eddie Alvarez have both known better days. While they aren’t quite down to desperation mode just yet, if either Pettis or Alvarez means to prove he belongs among the lightweight el read news >>

Kenny Florian breaks down Dillashaw-Cruz title fight, a 'peek into future of MMA'

Retired UFC fighter and UFC-FOX analyst Kenny Florian can’t pick a winner in Sunday’s UFC Fight Night 81 headliner between T.J. Dillashaw and Dominick Cruz, but like any hardcore fight fan, he can’t read news >>

Women’s MMA Report: Holm-Tate set for UFC 197, Rousey’s return date TBA

Newly crowned UFC women’s bantamweight champion Holly Holm will attempt her first title defense at UFC 197, but it won’t be against ex-champ Ronda Rousey. Get the latest in the Women’s MMA Report.Fil read news >>

Dana White Video: Ronda Rousey is the Biggest Star in the UFC, Bigger than Conor McGregor

Despite losing to Holly Holm at UFC 193 in November, UFC president Dana White says that "Ronda Rousey is still the biggst star in the UFC." read news >>

UFC champ Holly Holm signs endorsement deal with illegal supplement maker

Holly Holm, whose victory over Ronda Rousey turned her into one of the UFC’s most visible fighters, has signed an endorsement deal with a supplement maker that sells products banned from the UFC and read news >>

Should Holly Holm have waited for Ronda Rousey rematch? Fellow fighters discuss

BOSTON – UFC women’s bantamweight champion Holly Holm will soon attempt her first title defense, but it won’t be against Ronda Rousey. Is that the right move?Filed under: Featured Videos, News, UFC, read news >>

Ronda Rousey Comments on Holly Holm Rematch and Discussions over Next Fight

Ronda Rousey has denied rumours she is planning to retire from MMA and insisted she will fight Holly Holm again in 2016. The former UFC women's bantamweight champion lost her title and her unbeaten r read news >>

Ronda Rousey targets Holly Holm rematch in 2016: 'That's what I want to do'

It won’t happen at UFC 200 in July, but Ronda Rousey wants her championship rematch with women’s bantamweight titleholder Holly Holm to take place before the year is out. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Ronda Rousey Not Going Away, Plans to Fight Holly Holm Later This Year

For those that question Ronda Rousey's resiliency, no, she's not going away anytime soon. In fact, she intends to return to the Octagon later this year. read news >>

Ronda Rousey Comments on Holly Holm Rematch and Discussions over Next Fight

Ronda Rousey has denied rumours she is planning to retire from MMA and insisted she will fight Holly Holm again in 2016. The former UFC women's bantamweight champion lost her title and her unbeaten r read news >>