TOKYO -- Women’s MMA legend Megumi Fujii announced the intention to hang up her gloves after one final go on Oct. 5’s “Vale Tudo Japan 3rd” card.

“I’m happy that I’ll be participating in VTJ 3rd, but I have another announcement to make tonight: I’ve decided that my fight at VTJ 3rd will be my last,” declared the 39-year-old women’s MMA pioneer.

“I've trained martial arts all my life, but I need to take that next step for the next stage of my life. I thus decided that VTJ 3rd will be my last fight,” concluded Fujii.

Fujii leaves behind a long and storied career as a trailblazer in women’s MMA, particularly in her homeland of Japan. As the leading female fighter of Abe Ani Combat Club, Fujii is responsible for producing and fostering AACC’s top WMMA talent, such as former Smackgirl open weight champion and Strikeforce veteran Hitomi Akano, former Valkyrie flyweight champion Yasuko Tamada, and current Jewels 115-pound champion Ayaka Hamasaki.

After dominating the women’s circuit in Japan for six years, Fujii entered Bellator’s inaugural 115-pound women’s tournament in 2010, submitting both Lisa Ellis and Carla Esparza before dropping a contentious decision to Zoila Frausto Gurgel in the finals. Currently holding an impressive 26-2 record, Fujii’s only other career loss is to Jessica Aguilar in a similarly a contentious decision in May 2012’s Bellator 69.

VTJ 3rd is set to take place on Oct. 5 at the Ota Ward General Gymnasium.

Go Yamamoto contributed to this report.

Jason ‘Mayhem’ Miller Comes Out of Retirement, Faces Luke Barnatt at Venator FC III

Venator Fighting Championship announced on Tuesday that it has signed Jason "Mayhem" Miller, who will face champion Luke Barnatt at Venator FC III on May 21. read news >>

BJ Penn Officially Ends UFC Retirement: Latest Details, Comments and Reaction

UFC Hall of Famer and former two-division champion BJ Penn officially announced his return to the Octagon on Tuesday. Per an interview on The MMA Hour with Ariel Helwani (via MMAFighting's Shaun Al-S read news >>

UFC Vet Chris Leben Out of Retirement, Signs with Bellator

Bellator MMA on Saturday announced its latest acquisition, the signing of former WEC middleweight champion and UFC veteran Chris "The Crippler" Leben. read news >>

Jon Jones vs. Daniel Cormier Rematch Announced for UFC 197

More than a year after Jon Jones defeated Daniel Cormier by unanimous decision at UFC 182 to defend his light heavyweight title, the two are slated for a rematch on April 23 in Las Vegas with Cormier read news >>

UFC Fight Night 82 draws 7,422 for live gate of $1.435 million

LAS VEGAS – Saturday’s UFC Fight Night 82 event drew an announced attendance of 7,422 and a live gate of $1.435 million.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC Fight Night 82 Fighter Bonuses: Diego Rivas and Wonderboy KOs Win Big

The UFC announced the recipients of the $50,000 fighter bonuses stemming from UFC Fight Night 82 during the event's post-fight press conference. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 82 headliner Stephen Thompson: After that performance, I deserve title shot

LAS VEGAS – The UFC hasn’t announced its next move in the welterweight division, but Stephen Thompson would like to suggest what it should do. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Ben Rothwell Draws Junior dos Santos in UFC Zagreb Headliner

UFC today announced that No.5 heavyweight contender Ben Rothwell will take on No.6 heavyweight Junior dos Santos in the main event for the organisation’s debut event in Croatia. read news >>

BJ Penn's UFC Comeback Delayed, Expected to Fight at UFC 197

On Monday, former UFC champion BJ Penn's website announced his return to the Octagon will be delayed (via Nick Baldwin of BloodyElbow.com): I thought the fight guaranteed was going to happen because read news >>

Champ Jedrzejczyk, Gadelha announced as 'TUF 23' coaches, rematch on July 8

For just the second time in the history of “The Ultimate Fighter” reality series female coaches will take the helm for two teams of up-and-coming fighters.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>