TOKYO -- Women’s MMA legend Megumi Fujii announced the intention to hang up her gloves after one final go on Oct. 5’s “Vale Tudo Japan 3rd” card.

“I’m happy that I’ll be participating in VTJ 3rd, but I have another announcement to make tonight: I’ve decided that my fight at VTJ 3rd will be my last,” declared the 39-year-old women’s MMA pioneer.

“I've trained martial arts all my life, but I need to take that next step for the next stage of my life. I thus decided that VTJ 3rd will be my last fight,” concluded Fujii.

Fujii leaves behind a long and storied career as a trailblazer in women’s MMA, particularly in her homeland of Japan. As the leading female fighter of Abe Ani Combat Club, Fujii is responsible for producing and fostering AACC’s top WMMA talent, such as former Smackgirl open weight champion and Strikeforce veteran Hitomi Akano, former Valkyrie flyweight champion Yasuko Tamada, and current Jewels 115-pound champion Ayaka Hamasaki.

After dominating the women’s circuit in Japan for six years, Fujii entered Bellator’s inaugural 115-pound women’s tournament in 2010, submitting both Lisa Ellis and Carla Esparza before dropping a contentious decision to Zoila Frausto Gurgel in the finals. Currently holding an impressive 26-2 record, Fujii’s only other career loss is to Jessica Aguilar in a similarly a contentious decision in May 2012’s Bellator 69.

VTJ 3rd is set to take place on Oct. 5 at the Ota Ward General Gymnasium.

Go Yamamoto contributed to this report.

UFC 205 results: Raquel Pennington dominates Miesha Tate, who announces retirement

NEW YORK – Raquel Pennington dominated her former “Ultimate Fighter” coach, Miesha Tate, to open the UFC 205 pay-per-view on Saturday. Then Tate pulled a stunner.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

NEW YORK – By the time Miesha Tate dragged Raquel Pennington into the type of grappling fight that favored her, she was already down two rounds and struggling. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Miesha Tate Announces Her Retirement at UFC 205 | MMAWeekly.com

Miesha Tate has been fighting for the past decade, but she's had enough. read news >>

Miesha Tate Retires from UFC: Latest Details, Comments, Reaction

MMA fighter Miesha Tate announced her retirement from the UFC on Saturday evening. "It's not my time anymore," she announced, per SportsCenter, after losing a unanimous decision to Raquel Pennington  read news >>

UFC Fight Night 100 results: Johnny Eduardo takes out Manny Gamburyan, who announces retirement

SAO PAULO – Manny Gamburyan’s eagerness to press the action cost him dearly against Johnny Eduardo. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC Announces Highly Anticipated Return to London

After months of speculation, UFC® today announced its much anticipated return to London, England. The event will take place at The O2 in London on Saturday, March 18, 2017. read news >>

UFC Announces London Event for March 2017 | MMAWeekly.com

The Ultimate Fighting Championship on Wednesday announced its return to London, England. read news >>

After loss to Akhmedov at UFC Fight Night 101, 33-fight veteran Kyle Noke announces retirement

A longtime stalwart of Aussie MMA is calling it a career. Filed under: News read news >>

Kyle Noke Retires After UFC Melbourne Loss | MMAWeekly.com

UFC welterweight Kyle Noke announced his retirement via Twitter following his decision loss to Omari Akhmedov at UFC Fight Night 101. read news >>

ONE Championship Announces 18 Events in 12 Different Cities For 2017 | MMAWeekly.com

• 14 hours ago

ONE Championship announced on Tuesday an ambitious 2017 schedule which sees the promotion target 18 events in the calendar year. read news >>