By beating Hector Lombard at UFC 149, Tim Boetsch thinks he spoiled the UFC’s plans for the middleweight division. More specifically, he believes the UFC was going to give Lombard the next title shot if Lombard had beaten him.

“Honestly, I think they were going to,” Boetsch told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show. “In the pre-fight press conference, Dana [White] had said that he had all the answers for the middleweight division, that he was going to make the announcement Saturday night. I believe what happened is I threw a wrench into all of that, honestly.”

Boetsch edged Lombard via split decision, derailing the Cuban’s 20-fight win streak. The bout wasn’t particularly entertaining, but much of the blame for that has been pointed at Lombard for abandoning his typically aggressive style.

“It never really came in the fight, and that actually sort of threw me off a little bit,” Boetsch said. “Over the past couple months of training, I trained anticipating that bull rush forward. I’d worked on a lot of sidestepping and throwing off of his movement coming in, and it just never happened in the 15 minutes. It kind of had me thrown for a loop. I was anticipating that the whole time.”

With all the criticism leveled at Lombard, though, Boetsch may not be receiving his fair share of credit.

“I’m a bit baffled as to how I fly under the radar after these successful fights that I’m having, but if that’s the way it’s got to be, that’s fine by me,” he said. “Like I’ve said before, I’ll beat whoever they put in front of me and then eventually, if I can beat everybody they put in front of me, people will have to talk about me. I hope.”

After the fight, Boetsch expressed doubt that he would be getting the next shot at champion Anderson Silva. That doesn’t mean he thinks he’s not worthy, however.

“On paper, I think it’s hard to argue that anybody is really in front of me,” Boetsch said. “If you look at the last two guys that I’ve beaten, I think that’s a pretty good resume for a title shot. I’d like to see the argument for who I need to beat to actually be next in line or whoever they think is in front of me, whose credentials are better. Let’s do a little fighter math here and look at who they’ve beat that makes them more deserving. I think I’ve got to be close to the next guy in line.”

Boetsch is undefeated as a middleweight, having won all four of his fights in the division. Still, he vows to remain patient while waiting on his crack at the gold.

“I don’t feel disrespected,” he said. “I feel like you deserve what you earn, and if they don’t feel like I’ve earned that title shot yet, I’ll beat somebody else. I’ll beat whoever it takes to get there. Then I plan on getting that strap when it’s my turn.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 1:05:04).

LOL, Conor McGregor is Reportedly Close to Deal to Fight Floyd Mayweather

The internet thinks Conor McGregor and Floyd Mayweather Jr. are going to punch each other for money. read news >>

Latoya Walker Heads into Invicta FC 17 Aiming to Prove She’s Earned a Title Shot

Undefeated featherweight Latoya Walker believes she's already earned a title shot, but she aims to prove it at Invicta FC 17 on Saturday night. read news >>

Joe Rogan Comments on Potential Floyd Mayweather vs. Conor McGregor Fight

UFC commentator Joe Rogan thinks Conor McGregor has what it takes to beat Floyd Mayweather Jr. should the two fight in the future, although he concedes it’s unlikely the two will face off. Speculatio read news >>

Dana White Calls Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Conor McGregor Fight 'Impossible'

UFC President Dana White thinks a Floyd Mayweather Jr.-Conor McGregor fight is impractical. White said on ESPN Radio's Russillo & Kanell that the reason he doesn't see the 49-0 Mayweather taking on t read news >>

Michael Bisping Talks Luke Rockhold, Anderson Silva Ahead of UFC 199 Title Fight

Michael Bisping thinks “destiny” has handed him the chance to become the UFC middleweight champion as he gears up to face Luke Rockhold on June 4 at UFC 199. An injury to Chris Weidman left the main read news >>

Firing on All Cylinders, Dan Charles Refocusing on Bellator Title Run

Firing on all cylinders in all aspects of his life, Dan Charles believes he's refocused and ready to make a run at a Bellator belt. read news >>

FS1 Talk Show Host’s Intel Says Mayweather vs. McGregor is Going to Happen

Nobody really believes it's going to happen, right? But Colin Cowherd says his intel is that Conor McGregor says going to box Floyd Mayweather in September. read news >>

Waiting in MMA’s Shadow, Asa Ten Pow Forging Ahead at Lion Fight 29

MMA isn't out of the picture for Asa Ten Pow, it's merely waiting in the wings. In the meantime, Ten Pow fights at Friday's Lion Fight 29 kickboxing event. read news >>

Chris Camozzi Breaks Down UFC 199 Middleweight Title Picture (Video)

• a day ago

UFC 185-pounder Chris Camozzi breaks down the middleweight title picture after Michael Bisping agreed to step in on short notice to challenge Luke Rockhold at UFC 199. read news >>