chad-mendes-24.jpgMILWAUKEE – If you don’t think Chad Mendes is ready for another shot at UFC featherweight champion Jose Aldo, perhaps his recent body of work has changed your mind.

On Saturday’s pay-per-view main card at UFC 164 in Milwaukee’s Bradley Center, Mendes (15-1 MMA, 6-1 UFC) eventually corralled and then scored a third-round knockout of Clay Guida (30-14 MMA, 10-8 UFC). It was the first knockout loss of Guida’s 44-fight career.

To earn his early 2012 title shot against Aldo (23-1 MMA, 5-0 UFC), Mendes won four consecutive fights via decision. Since the loss, though, he’s won four straight via knockout.

“I’m excited for that rematch,” said Mendes, who earned a $50,000 “Knockout of the Night” bonus for his efforts at UFC 164. “I think the fighter I was when I first fought Aldo was completely different from the fighter that I am now.”

A big reason for the change is Duane Ludwig, a former UFC fighter who’s earned rave reviews since taking over as head instructor for the California-based Team Alpha Male, which is home to Mendes and many of the sport’s other top lighter-weight fighters.

“My confidence in my hands and my standup is completely different,” he said. “We have a new head coach, Duane Ludwig, and the system that we’re training now at Team Alpha Male is completely different than it was, and I’m excited to get in there and go after it.”

Heading into Saturday’s event, Aldo and Mendes were ranked No. 1 and No. 2 in the USA TODAY Sports/ MMA featherweight rankings. However, the division has no shortage of contenders, including Ricardo Lamas, Cub Swanson, Dustin Poirier, Darren Elkins and Nik Lentz, none of whom has fought Aldo under the UFC banner.

Could Mendes’ latest performance allow him to cut to the front of line and get a second shot?

“I don’t know,” UFC President Dana White told ( after the event. “I have no idea about that stuff tonight.”

However, the UFC head honcho believes Mendes, a two-time NCAA Division I All-American wrestler, is a marketable commodity.

“I like Chad Mendes,” he said. “Chad Mendes is charismatic. He’s a good-looking kid. He’s exciting. He’s finishing people left and right. At the press conference, he got asked more questions than the main event or co-main event (fighters).”

Although it probably won’t translate into a title fight for his next bout, and though champ Aldo could be lined up for a champ-vs.champ bout with newly crowned lightweight titleholder Anthony Pettis to put the division on hold, Mendes can take solace in the fact he’s finishing fights, something he lacked and was dogged for early in his career.

At UFC 164, all three judges had him up two rounds to none, and he could have cruised in the third to lock up the win. Instead, he didn’t something 43 other opponents couldn’t do to Guida.

“I finished the fight, so I can’t complain too much,” Mendes said. “There were a couple of things that obviously I want to work on, but Guida is a very tough guy to prepare for. As soon as that fight started, I was trying to find his rhythm, but he’s just awkward as hell. It took me a little but, but I finally found it. I knew if I could slow him down enough to just get my hands on him that I could put him down, and I got it done tonight.”

For complete coverage of UFC 164, stay tuned to the UFC Events section of the site.

Jose Aldo vs. Conor McGregor Fight Discussed by Georges St-Pierre, Chael Sonnen

Georges St-Pierre has compared the upcoming bout between Conor McGregor and Jose Aldo at UFC 194 to the classic showdown involving Chael Sonnen and Anderson Silva back in 2010, insisting the Irishman read news >>

Jose Aldo: ‘Men’s MMA is at a Higher Level Than Women’s’

According to UFC featherweight champion Jose Aldo, women’s MMA is in its infancy and simply isn’t on the same level as men’s fighting. read news >>

Clay Guida Predicts Jose Aldo Will Knock the Snot Out of Conor McGregor at UFC 194

Clay Guida predicts that featherweight champion Jose Aldo will destroy interim titleholder Conor McGregor when they fight at UFC 194 on Dec. 12 in Las Vegas. read news >>

Jose Aldo, Daniel Cormier Talk Ronda Rousey's UFC Future After Holly Holm Loss

UFC fighter Jose Aldo believes fans have seen the last of Ronda Rousey in the Octagon following her shock loss against Holly Holm at UFC 193. Speaking to the media at Nova Uniao, the Brazilian compar read news >>

UFC 194: Jose Aldo vs. Conor McGregor Early Main Card Preview and Predictions

UFC 193 was quite the event, huh? Ronda Rousey dropping the title to Holly Holm via emphatic knockout? How crazy was that? Well, buckle in, fight fans, because you ain't seen nothin' yet. Enter UFC 1 read news >>

Rumors of Jose Aldo pulling out of UFC 194? 'Not true,' Dana White says

MELBOURNE, Australia – If you have tickets for next month’s UFC 194 pay-per-view and are worried about the main event falling apart, UFC President Dana White has some encouraging news.Filed under: Fe read news >>

Former foe Raquel Pennington doesn’t like Holly Holm's chances against Ronda Rousey

Raquel Pennington has fought Holly Holm to a closer result than anyone in MMA, but even she doesn’t think much of Holm’s chances against Ronda Rousey at UFC 193.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Ramsey Nijem says cut from UFC was result of refusal to sign new deal, not losing skid

Ramsey Nijem was one of many fighters who was released by the UFC in the promotion's latest roster purge. The former finalist on "The Ultimate Fighter" Season 13 thinks it had more to do with his unh read news >>

Claudia Gadelha wants Joanna Jedrzejczyk rematch regardless of UFC 193 title fight result

SAO PAULO – Claudia Gadelha is eager to avenge her only career loss to UFC champ Joanna Jedrzejczyk, and she wants the opportunity regardless of whether the strawweight title is on the line.Filed und read news >>

Thomas Almeida hosts coming out party in hometown of Sao Paulo

Antonio “Minotauro” Nogueira, Anderson Silva, Jose Aldo ... Brazilian fans are not lacking in UFC superstars. In the wee hours of Sunday morning at the Ibirapuera Gymnasium, Thomas Almeida, another c read news >>