Matt Hobar - Legacy FCTo say that Legacy FC bantamweight prospect Matt “Crowbar” Hobar was disappointed with the results of his first bout against Steven Peterson would be an understatement.

After months of rescheduling issues, the two finally met this past August, but an unfortunate injury just prior to the end of the first round cost Hobar the match.

“Four minutes into the first round, he pressured into me and I threw a looping overhand left punch and it kind of landed on top of his shoulder and my elbow actually popped out of its socket and landed outside of the joint,” Hobar said to

Luckily Hobar’s dislocation was a clean one, and two months later he was ready to fight again, so Legacy signed the rematch for its most recent event on Dec. 14.

“The first fight I was planning on taking him down and beat him up from the top position and just control him on the ground,” said Hobar. “We kind of went into this fight a little bit, but after the first round I was winning the stand-up pretty heavily, so my coaches decided to change the plan and not go to the ground because every time we went there he would get extremely squirrely and hyperactive looking for arm bars and guillotines, so we didn’t want to risk getting caught.

“I knew my stand-up was way better than his, because he doesn’t have very good or proper technique standing-up. He throws for one-shot knockout punches and never really throws combos or anything like that, so I was pretty confident I could pick him off standing up.”

Hobar managed to control much of the fight standing and earned a majority decision.

For the normally ground-based Hobar, winning a fight without having to take it down is a big step forward for him in the evolution of his fight game.

“This is the first fight I stood all three rounds and banged with the guy,” said Hobar. “I’m a wrestler, so I’m always taking it to the ground and trying to get a submission or control the whole fight on the ground. I actually controlled the whole fight from my feet, so I’m very happy with that.”

The win gets Hobar back on track, and with a 6-1 record, possibly into title contention.

“I’d like to fight for the bantamweight championship for Legacy and if Mick (Maynard, MFC Promoter) found that appealing, that’d be great,” said Hobar. “I also know that you have to make those fights happen, so I’m going to take things one fight at a time and look for good match-ups that are entertaining that bring in the fans.”

(Photo courtesy of Matt Hobar)

Holly Holm Answers Ronda Rousey 'Jerk' Question, Has Seen Knockout over 30 Times

Holly Holm snubbed the chance to add to Ronda Rousey’s recent misery, offering a neutral answer when asked whether her UFC 193 opponent is a “jerk.” Holm, who stunned the world with her knockout win read news >>

Legacy FC 50 main event to fill title vacated by Holly Holm

Legacy FC has only had one women’s bantamweight champion in their history, and she’s now the queen of MMA.Filed under: AXS TV Fights, News read news >>

Video: Fighter dislodges opponent's tooth, punches it into crowd

During the recent APEX Fights 8 event, Joshua Spears lost a tooth – and based on its subsequent trajectory, it’s probably not one he got back.Filed under: Featured Videos, News, Videos read news >>

Uriah Hall explains his controversial 'terrorist' comment from social media

Uriah Hall is sorry but not sorry when it comes to a recent Instagram post in which he labeled MMA fans as “terrorists” due to the harsh criticism directed at Ronda Rousey following her knockout loss read news >>

Team Alpha Male Standout Hector Sandoval Expects a Hostile Conquer Crowd

Team Alpha Male flyweight standout Hector Sandoval expects a hostile crowd at Conquer FC 1 on Saturday. read news >>

Legacy FC 48 video highlights: MMA in a ring, and a little submission controversy

With a mix of MMA and kickboxing bouts, Friday’s Legacy FC 48 event took place in a ring rather than a cage. But the night’s controversy took place on the mat with a submission.Filed under: AXS TV Fi read news >>

Legacy FC 48 results: Leonardo Leite dominates Ryan Spann to defend title

Ryan Spann didn’t believe Leonardo Leite did anything well ahead of challenging for the middleweight title at Legacy FC 48. It was an assessment that he’ll be revisiting after the champion took a cle read news >>

Ahead of Legacy FC 48 title fight, champ Leonardo Leite sees bigger things on horizon

He’s just six fights into his MMA career, but Leonardo Leite already has gold around his waist – two belts, actually – and even bigger ambitions down the road. Filed under: AXS TV Fights, News read news >>

Khabib Nurmagomedov opts against retirement but won't get desired Al Iaquinta matchup

Although another recent injury had Khabib Nurmagomedov considering retirement, he’s opted to fight on. But he won’t get his desired matchup.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Why UFC vet Thiago Tavares didn't mind that deep gash and recent TKO loss

Veteran UFC featherweight Thiago Tavares said he doesn’t necessarily get hung up on whether he wins or loses his fights.Filed under: Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>