Matt Hobar - Legacy FCTo say that Legacy FC bantamweight prospect Matt “Crowbar” Hobar was disappointed with the results of his first bout against Steven Peterson would be an understatement.

After months of rescheduling issues, the two finally met this past August, but an unfortunate injury just prior to the end of the first round cost Hobar the match.

“Four minutes into the first round, he pressured into me and I threw a looping overhand left punch and it kind of landed on top of his shoulder and my elbow actually popped out of its socket and landed outside of the joint,” Hobar said to MMAWeekly.com.

Luckily Hobar’s dislocation was a clean one, and two months later he was ready to fight again, so Legacy signed the rematch for its most recent event on Dec. 14.

“The first fight I was planning on taking him down and beat him up from the top position and just control him on the ground,” said Hobar. “We kind of went into this fight a little bit, but after the first round I was winning the stand-up pretty heavily, so my coaches decided to change the plan and not go to the ground because every time we went there he would get extremely squirrely and hyperactive looking for arm bars and guillotines, so we didn’t want to risk getting caught.

“I knew my stand-up was way better than his, because he doesn’t have very good or proper technique standing-up. He throws for one-shot knockout punches and never really throws combos or anything like that, so I was pretty confident I could pick him off standing up.”

Hobar managed to control much of the fight standing and earned a majority decision.

For the normally ground-based Hobar, winning a fight without having to take it down is a big step forward for him in the evolution of his fight game.

“This is the first fight I stood all three rounds and banged with the guy,” said Hobar. “I’m a wrestler, so I’m always taking it to the ground and trying to get a submission or control the whole fight on the ground. I actually controlled the whole fight from my feet, so I’m very happy with that.”

The win gets Hobar back on track, and with a 6-1 record, possibly into title contention.

“I’d like to fight for the bantamweight championship for Legacy and if Mick (Maynard, MFC Promoter) found that appealing, that’d be great,” said Hobar. “I also know that you have to make those fights happen, so I’m going to take things one fight at a time and look for good match-ups that are entertaining that bring in the fans.”

(Photo courtesy of Matt Hobar)

The legend of Dominick Cruz, and the quest to solidify it as fact

Dominick Cruz has fought so infrequently in recent years that he’s become something of an MMA myth. By throwing himself straight into the fire against champion T.J. Dillashaw, he gains a chance to be read news >>

FOX Sports suspends analyst Kenny Florian following plagiarism issue

FOX Sports has suspended former UFC fighter and current analyst Kenny Florian following his recent apology for plagiarism.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC middleweight Tim Kennedy not working with FBI on recent ISIS threat

So what happens when you’re apparently targeted by ISIS and notified by the FBI? If you’re Tim Kennedy, you stay ready and carry the proper tools. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC fighters' funniest USADA-testing stories: Guns, birthday suits, GPS coordinates

BOSTON – Thanks to a recent deal with the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) and the new UFC Anti-Doping Policy, fighters are getting tested more often, and they have plenty of stories about the process read news >>

Conor McGregor Did Not Appreciate Floyd Mayweather’s Racial Comments (Video)

Featherweight champion Conor McGregor responded to Floyd Mayweather's recent comments about race directed toward him and Ronda Rousey. read news >>

Legacy FC 50 results: 'Cyborg' returns from lengthy layoff with decision win

Fighting for the first time in 21 months, Evangelista Santos outstruck fellow veteran Artenas Young en route to a clearcut decision win.Filed under: AXS TV Fights, News read news >>

Coy, Webb Meet in the Steel City

American Top Team standout Nathan Coy has accepted the call to face off with Jonavin Webb in UFC Fight Night action at Consol Energy Center in Pittsburgh on Sunday, Feb. 21. read news >>

White: Ex-champ Cain Velasquez headed for back surgery, 4-week recovery expected

Cain Velasquez will reportedly undergo surgery following his most recent injury and fight withdrawal. According to Dana White, Velasquez is expected to make a complete recovery within four weeks of g read news >>

Damacio Page vs. Matt Schnell title fight headlines Legacy FC 52

A flyweight title fight will headline March’s Legacy FC 52 event in Louisiana. Filed under: AXS TV Fights, Featured Videos, News, Videos read news >>

Patricky Freire on recent depression, stunning KO, callout of Melvin Guillard

Patricky Freire was not in a good place mentally after his loss to Derek Anderson at Bellator 147. The defeat led to issues with his family and even physical manifestations of stress.Filed under: Bel read news >>