Will Brooks - BellatorWith a win over Satoru Kitaoka on New Year’s Eve at Dream 18 and a spot in this season’s Bellator lightweight tournament, things are looking up for “Ill” Will Brooks, but it’s only because he feels he’s made changes for the better in his personal life that things in his career are looking up.

“For me, I’d been focusing on being a better person than my career, but the more I focused on being a better person spilled over into my career,” said Brooks.

“It’s just a positive energy that I’m trying to put out into the environment and people around me spilled over into my career and it’s really boosted my career and given me great opportunities like competing in Japan and coming back home and being able to sign with Bellator.”

Already a strong wrestler, Brooks told MMAWeekly.com that his striking has really been coming around of late, making him even more relaxed and potentially dangerous to opponents.

“I’m finding my comfort zone and place in the cage,” he said. “And once that starts happening, I think that’s when you really start to have success in whatever you do. “

Brooks’ peaking comes at an important time in his career, as he steps into Thursday’s Spike TV broadcasted Bellator event for company debut in the first round of the lightweight tournament against promotional veteran Ricardo Tirloni.

“He’s an explosive, well-rounded opponent, so I’m excited about it,” said Brooks of Tirloni. “I know he’s a black belt in jiu-jitsu, but from what video I’ve seen, he’s more than willing to stand and strike.

“Wherever it goes – ground, standing – I’m going to pressure him and make him look for ways to want to quit. That’s my job, to make the guy want to quit and not put it in the hands of the judges. I want to take everything from him; take his will and force him to look for a way out of the fight.”

Though he is 8-0 with finishes in all eight of his fights, Brooks feels every fight at this level is statement fight for him and that he wants to prove he’s as much of a threat to take the tournament title as anyone else.

“With this fight, I’m looking to keep putting in people’s mind that I am a dominant force in the lightweight division and will be here for a very long time,” he said. “I’m looking to finish this fight and have my hand raised at the end of the night.”

Having found himself at a good place both personally and professionally, Brooks is content to take things as they come and not look too far ahead of himself.

“In the beginning I was trying to force it, really focusing on ‘this is what I want to do, that is what I want to do’ and once I started doing that, I started putting a lot of pressure on myself and got into a really negative place,” he said.

“Recently I settled back and decided to take it one fight at a time, and whatever is put in front of me, I’ll deal with it as it comes.”

Bellator 152 winner Patricky Freire wants champ Will Brooks: 'Everyone wants to see this'

TURIN, Italy – Patricky Freire’s pursuit of a Bellator title shot has been a years-long affair. After his win at Bellator 152, though, he said he’s finally done enough.Filed under: Bellator, Featured read news >>

Kimbo Slice and James Thompson rematch set for Bellator 158 in London

Kevin “Kimbo Slice” Ferguson and James Thompson will meet once again, this time under the Bellator banner.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Kimbo Slice vs. James Thompson 2 Announced for Bellator 158: Comments, Reaction

For the first time in eight years, Kimbo Slice and James Thompson will throw down in the Octagon. On Sunday, Bellator President Scott Coker announced on SportsCenter that Slice-Thompson II will take read news >>

Koscheck vs. Daley II co-headlines 'Bellator 158: Kimbo vs. Thompson II' in London

As expected Josh Koscheck and Paul Daley will finally meet again, and they’ll do so in Bellator 158’s co-headliner.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Against Phil Davis, Bellator 154's 'King Mo' focused on 'performance,' not 'taste'

All Muhammad Lawal wants right now is the chance to finish what he started on Sept. 19, 2015.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Latest Kimbo Slice booking proves that, as long as we watch, anything goes in Bellator

Kimbo Slice still isn’t cleared after failing a drug test for his last fight, which nearly killed a man. Now Bellator has rebooked him for a main event in London, telling us just how far it’s willing read news >>

Benson Henderson to Join Military Reserves After Retiring from MMA

Former UFC and WEC fighter Benson Henderson will make his Bellator debut Friday, but fans shouldn’t get used to seeing him in the cage. Henderson appeared on The MMA Hour with Ariel Helwani on Monday read news >>

Bellator 158 Topped by Kimbo vs. James Thompson and Paul Daley vs. Josh Koscheck Rematches

Rematches pitting Kimbo Slice vs. James Thompson and Paul Daley vs. Josh Koscheck headline Bellator's debut event in London. read news >>

Bellator 158 press conference highlights: Daley and Koscheck are ready to go again

LONDON – Bellator was in London today to formally announce Bellator 158 and the featured rematches of James Thompson against Kevin “Kimbo Slice” Ferguson and Paul Daley against Josh Koscheck.Filed un read news >>

Anastasia Yankova's grappling coach predicted her first-round win at Bellator 152

TURIN, Italy – Anastasia Yankova remained perfect as a professional at Bellator 152, scoring a first-round armbar submission of Anjela Pink.Filed under: Bellator, Featured Videos, News, Videos read news >>