Will Brooks - BellatorWith a win over Satoru Kitaoka on New Year’s Eve at Dream 18 and a spot in this season’s Bellator lightweight tournament, things are looking up for “Ill” Will Brooks, but it’s only because he feels he’s made changes for the better in his personal life that things in his career are looking up.

“For me, I’d been focusing on being a better person than my career, but the more I focused on being a better person spilled over into my career,” said Brooks.

“It’s just a positive energy that I’m trying to put out into the environment and people around me spilled over into my career and it’s really boosted my career and given me great opportunities like competing in Japan and coming back home and being able to sign with Bellator.”

Already a strong wrestler, Brooks told MMAWeekly.com that his striking has really been coming around of late, making him even more relaxed and potentially dangerous to opponents.

“I’m finding my comfort zone and place in the cage,” he said. “And once that starts happening, I think that’s when you really start to have success in whatever you do. “

Brooks’ peaking comes at an important time in his career, as he steps into Thursday’s Spike TV broadcasted Bellator event for company debut in the first round of the lightweight tournament against promotional veteran Ricardo Tirloni.

“He’s an explosive, well-rounded opponent, so I’m excited about it,” said Brooks of Tirloni. “I know he’s a black belt in jiu-jitsu, but from what video I’ve seen, he’s more than willing to stand and strike.

“Wherever it goes – ground, standing – I’m going to pressure him and make him look for ways to want to quit. That’s my job, to make the guy want to quit and not put it in the hands of the judges. I want to take everything from him; take his will and force him to look for a way out of the fight.”

Though he is 8-0 with finishes in all eight of his fights, Brooks feels every fight at this level is statement fight for him and that he wants to prove he’s as much of a threat to take the tournament title as anyone else.

“With this fight, I’m looking to keep putting in people’s mind that I am a dominant force in the lightweight division and will be here for a very long time,” he said. “I’m looking to finish this fight and have my hand raised at the end of the night.”

Having found himself at a good place both personally and professionally, Brooks is content to take things as they come and not look too far ahead of himself.

“In the beginning I was trying to force it, really focusing on ‘this is what I want to do, that is what I want to do’ and once I started doing that, I started putting a lot of pressure on myself and got into a really negative place,” he said.

“Recently I settled back and decided to take it one fight at a time, and whatever is put in front of me, I’ll deal with it as it comes.”

Is New Free Agent Will Brooks a Good Addition to Stacked UFC Lightweight Roster?

Will Brooks has been released by Bellator. But this isn't just any release. Brooks was Bellator's reigning lightweight champion. The 29-year-old hasn't lost in more than three years. Bleacher Report read news >>

Bellator Cuts Lightweight Champ Will Brooks, Strips Heavyweight Champion Vitaly Minakov

Bellator MMA on Saturday released disgruntled lightweight champion Will Brooks from his contract and stripped the heavyweight belt from Vitaly Minakov. read news >>

Michael Chandler Will Battle Patricky Pitbull for Vacant Bellator Lightweight Title

Following the release of former lightweight champion Will Brooks, Bellator officials quickly followed up with an announcement to fill the vacancy. read news >>

Bellator Lightweight Champ Will Brooks Released, Fight for Vacant Title Booked

The Bellator lightweight championship will not be vacant for very long, with the announcement that two familiar names will face off for the strap in June. During Saturday night's broadcast, the promo read news >>

Phil Davis vs. King Mo: Winner and Reaction from Bellator 154

Phil Davis won a controversial unanimous decision over Muhammed "King Mo" Lawal in the main event at Bellator 154 in San Jose, California, on Saturday. The fight was close, and either man could have read news >>

Bellator to Institute Jordan Parsons Memorial Scholarship Fund

With the newly-announced Jordan Parsons Scholarship Fund, Bellator will annually send a young wrestler to "The J Robinson Intensive Wrestling Camp." read news >>

Bellator 154 Results: Phil Davis Top King Mo to Earn Light Heavyweight Title Shot

Phil Davis got the nod over King Mo Lawal at Bellator 154 on Saturday night, earning a shot at light heavyweight champion Liam McGeary. read news >>

Bellator 154: Davis vs. King Mo Video Highlights

Check out all the action from Bellator 154 including, top two Light Heavyweight fighters, Phil Davis and King Mo, face-off to be the no. 1 contender and get a shot at the title. read news >>

Bellator 154 Fighter Salaries: Phil Davis and King Mo Top List with $30,000 Each

Phil Davis won the fight at Bellator 154 on Saturday night, but it was a draw on the payroll. read news >>

Despite Loss of Title Bout, Marloes Coenen Eager to Fight at Bellator 155

Despite seeing her featherweight title shot fall to the wayside, Marloes Coenen is eager to get in the cage at fight at Bellator 155 on Friday. read news >>