Why is Alistair Overeem Avoiding Fight with Junior dos Santos?


dos-santos-vs-overeem-460x270Following a rather lackluster start to his UFC tenure, Alistair Overeem scored his second victory in the Octagon in four attempts when he dominated former UFC heavyweight champion Frank Mir at UFC 169 on Feb. 1 in New Jersey.

Even by his own account, it was a safe performance that led to a unanimous nod from the judges.

“Usually I always go for the knockout,” Overeem said in his post-fight interview, adding, “but this fight I chose to pace myself a little bit.”

It was in stark contrast to his first UFC victory when he TKO’d now-WWE superstar Brock Lesnar at UFC 141, and company president Dana White was highly critical, calling Overeem’s win over Mir a “crappy performance.”

Overeem called out Lesnar after the fight despite the big man being busy with his professional wrestling career, not MMA. White, however, told UFC Tonight on Wednesday that he had a different fight in mind.

White said that he offered Overeem a five-round main event in Brazil, opposite former UFC champion Junior dos Santos, a man that Overeem has had a beef with almost since the day he arrived in the UFC.

Overeem reportedly shot down the offer, according to the brash UFC boss. He also shot down White’s secondary offer of a three-round co-main event slot on a fight card in Las Vegas.

Again, White didn’t hold back after the former Strikeforce, Dream, and K-1 champion declined the fights.

“He wants nothing to do with dos Santos; he’s literally hiding from him,” White told UFC Tonight reporter Ariel Helwani.

Overeem, who is currently on vacation and was initially unavailable for comment, later told Helwani, “I’m hurt,” he said. “Rib problem. So first [I] need an ETA on recovery time. [It] would be unwise to accept any fight before knowing exactly what’s up. [I] wouldn’t want to pull out of any fight [due to] being unfit, especially an anticipated fight as this one.”

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

  • 10 days ago
  • 3 views

Junior dos Santos had a rough fight the last time out, but on Thursday had successful surgery to put him back on the mend. read news >>

  • 19 days ago
  • 45 views

UFC president, Dana White says fan favorite referee, Herb Dean did a 'horrible job' reffing the fifth round of the Jones/Cormier fight. UFC president, Dana White has never been one to mince words whe read news >>

  • 17 days ago
  • 29 views

UFC president Dana White confirmed to UFC Tonight that Anderson Silva will jump to the front of the line and earn a middleweight title shot if he beats Nick Diaz on January 31st. Apparently one of th read news >>

  • 15 days ago
  • 53 views

LAS VEGAS -- During a scrum at UFC 182, Travis Browne talks about wanting a rematch with Fabricio Werdum, his personal expectations, the conversation Joe Rogan had with Brendan Schaub following their read news >>

  • 14 days ago
  • 0 views

Retired fighter Cody McKenzie offers to fight UFC President Dana White for free. Less than a few weeks after retiring from professional competition, Cody McKenzie is back making MMA headlines, this t read news >>

  • 12 days ago
  • 6 views

Former UFC heavyweight champion Junior dos Santos was among eight fighters who received six-month medical suspensions in the aftermath of December's UFC on FOX 13 event, according to information rele read news >>

  • 12 days ago
  • 3 views

Junior dos Santos banked the biggest income at UFC on FOX 13 for his win over Stipe Miocic on last month's card, according to reports on Tuesday. read news >>

  • 11 days ago
  • 15 views

Junior dos Santos could be facing six months on the sidelines following his five-round slugfest with Stipe Miocic at UFC on Fox 13. read news >>

  • 11 days ago
  • 2 views

Former UFC heavyweight champ Junior Dos Santos took home more than a quarter-million dollars for his slugfest with Stipe Miocic in the headliner of this past month’s UFC on FOX 13 event.Filed under: read news >>