Dave Batista (right): Heather Rousseau/Splash News

Strikeforce officials are still floating around the idea of promoting ex-WWE star David Batista’s mixed martial arts debut. The promotion’s CEO Scott Coker said the pro wrestling personality and his team met with Strikeforce following its June 16 event at the Nokia Theatre in Los Angeles.

“They have the desire to fight in MMA and we’re trying to put together a deal that makes sense,” Coker told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show last week. “Is he signed right now? No. But is he somebody we’d like to see in the cage in the future fighting for Strikeforce? It’s a possibility.”

The 41-year-old Batista, who was a repeated WWE champion during his eight-year tenure with the pro wrestling outlet, has no reported prior combat sports experience thus far, though Coker has been told that Batista has already hired a striking coach and a ground instructor to train with.

“Just like we did with Herschel (Walker), we’d have to put him into a gym,” said Coker of a potential deal. “It doesn’t matter what gym, as long as it’s a reputable mixed martial arts academy. He has to go in there and train because if he didn’t, we’d probably have a short relationship.”

Coker said Batista’s star power, and specifically his ability to draw on an equally strong demographic of viewers outside of MMA, is an obvious selling point for the would-be fighter.

When asked if former WWE champion and decorated college wrestler Bobby Lashley was under consideration as a potential opponent for Batista, Coker acknowledged that the bout had some cache.

“That would just be a fun fight to watch,” said Coker.

If there were any right time to sign Batista, now could be a good one. UFC President Dana White has repeatedly declared that his pairing of pro boxer James Toney against former UFC champion Randy Couture in August is “a freak show.”

“We’re not the guys that are putting all the circus fights on,” said Coker, “but in all fairness, look at Brock Lesnar. He made the crossover. Why not Batista?”

As opposed to KImbo Slice -- who was reportedly released by the UFC after a second-round defeat to fellow novice Matt Mitrione in May -- Coker said there was an element of surprise in how Batista would fair.

“I think Kimbo’s had his run, so to speak,” said Coker. “He’s kind of had his time in the MMA business whereas Batista hasn’t and Herschel hasn’t. We already know how Kimbo will do, so, to me, there’s a little curiosity factor (with Batista).”

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

Overeem calls Werdum an 'MMA master’ but believes he can ‘expose his weaknesses’

  • 17 days ago
  • 52 views

Former Strikeforce heavyweight champion Alistair Overeem believes he can beat Fabricio Werdum in a trilogy fight. read news >>

Video: What is the key to staying healthy in training and still being fight ready?

  • 17 days ago
  • 64 views

With UFC officials recently announcing partnerships with both EXOS and Fusionetics designed around keeping the promotion’s fighters healthy, we decided to ask fighters what their opinion is on the be read news >>

Gastelum Back On Track, Stops Marquardt

  • 20 days ago
  • 3 views

Kelvin Gastelum pounded on Nate Marquardt for two rounds before the former Strikeforce champ couldn't come out of his corner for the third to capture the win on the UFC 188 main card. read news >>

Dana White Shuts Down Kelvin Gastelum's Welterweight Return

  • 20 days ago
  • 17 views

Kelvin Gastelum was impressive at UFC 188, roughing up former UFC title contender and former Strikeforce champ Nate Marquardt. Unfortunately, while he was hoping that the fight with Marquardt would b read news >>

Video: Watch UFC 188 headliner Fabricio Werdum's impressive UFC return

  • 20 days ago
  • 12 views

After a loss to Alistair Overeem in his final Strikeforce fight, Fabricio Werdum needed a good performance in his return to the UFC back in 2012. Mission accomplished.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Gilbert Melendez on Reebok deal: 'It's a bummer to see'

  • 22 days ago
  • 1 views

Former Strikeforce champ Gilbert Melendez is one of the fighters who will really be left out in the cold by the UFC's new Reebok deal and he's not terribly pleased about it. Even before the tiers wer read news >>

Anderson Silva NAC hearing postponed for fourth time

  • 24 days ago
  • 7 views

Anderson Silva asks for yet another postponement for his hearing with the Nevada Athletic Commission, where he will be judged by his failed drug tests before and after his bout with Nick Diaz at UFC read news >>

Chad Mendes toyed with the idea of free agency; signs new 8-fight UFC deal

  • 25 days ago
  • 35 views

Chad Mendes reveals that he played with the idea of running out the last fight on his contract and trying free agency, but the UFC made it very clear they didn't want to lose him. With the recent unv read news >>

Bellator 138: Bobby Lashley Predicting Early Knockout Win over James Thompson

  • 26 days ago
  • 5 views

In 2009, Strikeforce heavyweight Bobby Lashley was something of an oddity. An unknown commodity fighting for a promotion that, similarly, was trying to figure out its own identity. One part legitimat read news >>

UFC Fight Night 68 results recap: Dan Henderson proves he's 'not quite done yet'

  • 26 days ago
  • 1 views

Former Strikeforce light heavyweight champ Dan Henderson dipped into the fountain of youth this past Saturday night (June 6, 2015) in order to knock out Tim Boetsch in the main event of UFC Fight Nig read news >>