What Drives Georges St-Pierre as He Walks Out to the UFC Octagon? … Fear

• submit to reddit

Georges St-Pierre UFC 111When a UFC champion walks out to the Octagon, especially a fighter like Georges St-Pierre, who is considered among the top pound-for-pound fighters on the planet, what goes through his head?

Thoughts of victory, confidence, and power? Not exactly.

How about feelings of fear?

St-Pierre was a guest on the recent Friday night edition of Inside MMA on AXS TV, hyping up his New York Times Best Seller “The Way of the Fight,” but gave an interesting glimpse into what goes through his mind as he walks out to the Octagon.

“I’m scared,” he revealed. “Before a fight, I doubt about myself. I’m scared.”

Not exactly the sort of positive reinforcement that you’d expect from one of the winningest champions in UFC history.

“I try to be confident, but deep down inside, I’m afraid,” St-Pierre admitted. “I’m afraid to get knocked out, afraid to get humiliated, afraid to have done all that work and put all that effort for nothing, and not be as good as people expect me to be. That’s why I’m afraid.”

No, it’s not the type of fear that kicks the flight portion of fight-or-flight response into action. It’s actually quite the opposite for St-Pierre. It’s not fear of his opponent. It’s not fear that the man standing across from him has done more work to prepare or has the more dominant skills.

It’s actually a fear that kicks in the fight portion of his fight-or-flight response. It’s a motivator.

“It’s not really being afraid of my opponent,” he continued. “I’m afraid of not performing the best as I should. And I think it’s the same fear that keep me sharp, keep my reaction time better, and make me perform better.”

It’s something that St-Pierre talks about in his book, and his driven him to become a two-time UFC welterweight champion.

St-Pierre holds a professional record of 24-2, and is currently on an 11-fight winning streak. He has defended his belt eight consecutive times.

Former UFC welterweight champion Matt Hughes said back in February that he'd be surprised to see fellow former champion Georges St-Pierre actually make a return to the Octagon. Now, Hughes is urging his former rival to make his competitive hiatus permanent. "The UFC would hate me saying this but I'm going to say it anyway," Hughes told Canada.com (via MMA Mania). "If I was GSP, I'd probably hang them up. Here I am a guy that lost my (last) two fights and I'd love to get back in there (to finish more

“The Ultimate Fighter 8? winner Efrain Escudero is once again back in the UFC.Filed under: News, UFC more

UFC 175 was supposed to be Stefan Struve's triumphant return to the Octagon, but that was not to be. The No. 12-ranked heavyweight contender fainted backstage. Checked out by the medical staff, Struve was determined to have an elevated heart rate, and the UFC made the decision to scratch the bout. The health of the fighters comes first. Struve had been out of action since March 2013 following reports that he had a leaking aortic valve and enlarged heart. With an elevated heart rate Saturday nigh more

UFC lightweight champion Anthony Pettis discussed his time on the sidelines recovering from a PCL injury, as well as his upcoming title fight against Gilbert Melendez. Anthony Pettis may not feel the urge to endlessly defend himself on twitter but he does admit that the recent criticism directed at him has certainly gotten on his nerves. The UFC lightweight champion has been out of action for the better part of the last year since defeating Benson Henderson via submission to win the championship more

Undefeated prospects Gilbert Burns and Andreas Stahl are set to make their Octagon debut on Saturday night on the UFC on FOX 12 card in San Jose, Calif., but being in the Octagon is not something new to Burns. "Durinho" was part of the first season of The Ultimate Fighter: Brazil as an assistant coach of Vitor Belfort’s team, and he also cornered "The Phenom" in multiple UFC fights. He’s the one inside the Octagon now, and he feels ready for it. "I think it helps because I was already (in the Oc more

Former UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre has apologized for his support of a friend who was arrested and pleaded guilty to drug-trafficking charges. more

Former UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre has released a letter explaining his recent support for a friend – one who’s also a drug kingpin currently awaiting trial for trafficking and other crimes.Filed under: News, UFC more

Former longtime UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre is now regretting writing a letter supporting Canadian drug kingpin Jimmy Cournoyer as he awaits sentencing on serious drug trafficking charges in U.S. federal court in New York. "Rush" tweeted a letter to his fans last night stating that the support he voiced to Cournoyer, which first ran in The Montreal Gazette, was "a mistake." First of all, the letter I signed was a mistake - my mistake. I will not go into details as to how and why more

Former UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre has released a letter explaining his recent support for a friend – one who’s also a drug kingpin currently awaiting trial for trafficking and other crimes.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC more