What Drives Georges St-Pierre as He Walks Out to the UFC Octagon? … Fear

Georges St-Pierre UFC 111When a UFC champion walks out to the Octagon, especially a fighter like Georges St-Pierre, who is considered among the top pound-for-pound fighters on the planet, what goes through his head?

Thoughts of victory, confidence, and power? Not exactly.

How about feelings of fear?

St-Pierre was a guest on the recent Friday night edition of Inside MMA on AXS TV, hyping up his New York Times Best Seller “The Way of the Fight,” but gave an interesting glimpse into what goes through his mind as he walks out to the Octagon.

“I’m scared,” he revealed. “Before a fight, I doubt about myself. I’m scared.”

Not exactly the sort of positive reinforcement that you’d expect from one of the winningest champions in UFC history.

“I try to be confident, but deep down inside, I’m afraid,” St-Pierre admitted. “I’m afraid to get knocked out, afraid to get humiliated, afraid to have done all that work and put all that effort for nothing, and not be as good as people expect me to be. That’s why I’m afraid.”

No, it’s not the type of fear that kicks the flight portion of fight-or-flight response into action. It’s actually quite the opposite for St-Pierre. It’s not fear of his opponent. It’s not fear that the man standing across from him has done more work to prepare or has the more dominant skills.

It’s actually a fear that kicks in the fight portion of his fight-or-flight response. It’s a motivator.

“It’s not really being afraid of my opponent,” he continued. “I’m afraid of not performing the best as I should. And I think it’s the same fear that keep me sharp, keep my reaction time better, and make me perform better.”

It’s something that St-Pierre talks about in his book, and his driven him to become a two-time UFC welterweight champion.

St-Pierre holds a professional record of 24-2, and is currently on an 11-fight winning streak. He has defended his belt eight consecutive times.

Georges St-Pierre may or may not return to the octagon, but when he does, a title shot is waiting for him, according to UFC President Dana White.Filed under: Featured, MMA Rumors, News, UFC read news >>

Growing up, former UFC champion Georges St-Pierre was a big fan of WWE legend Hulk Hogan, so it's no surprise that the 33-year-old had a huge smile when he took a picture with Hogan.St-Pierre posted read news >>

The worldwide leader for mixed martial arts and UFC news, MMA News, UFC Rumors, MMA Rankings, Interviews, Videos, UFC Results, and UFC Blog read news >>

The Octagon will be back in use this Saturday, September 27, for UFC 178. The event will take place at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas and is scheduled to begin at 7 p.m. ET. Headlining the event is a fly read news >>

After being forced away from mixed martial arts since 2012 due to a Parsonage-Turner syndrome diagnosis, Todd Duffee will return to the Octagon against Anthony Hamilton at UFC 181 on Dec. 6. read news >>

The former UFC welterweight champ got a lot of ink -- including a picture posing with Hollywood star Leonard Dicaprio - in the world's top newspaper this weekend. Unfortunately it was because of his read news >>

UFC middleweight Rafael Natal is hungry for a win in the octagon following two straight losses. His upcoming opponent, Chris Camozzi, is no less eager to turn things around after losing three straigh read news >>

Ronaldo Souza dominated Gegard Mousasi to win his fourth bout inside the Octagon at UFC Fight Night 50 in Connecticut, and he wasn’t expecting to finish Mousasi. "I was waiting for a five-round fight read news >>

When the Octagon door shuts on Dominick Cruz at UFC 178, it will be his first time in competition since October 2011. The former bantamweight champion has faced a myriad of injuries, but he’s finally read news >>