Georges St-Pierre UFC 111When a UFC champion walks out to the Octagon, especially a fighter like Georges St-Pierre, who is considered among the top pound-for-pound fighters on the planet, what goes through his head?

Thoughts of victory, confidence, and power? Not exactly.

How about feelings of fear?

St-Pierre was a guest on the recent Friday night edition of Inside MMA on AXS TV, hyping up his New York Times Best Seller “The Way of the Fight,” but gave an interesting glimpse into what goes through his mind as he walks out to the Octagon.

“I’m scared,” he revealed. “Before a fight, I doubt about myself. I’m scared.”

Not exactly the sort of positive reinforcement that you’d expect from one of the winningest champions in UFC history.

“I try to be confident, but deep down inside, I’m afraid,” St-Pierre admitted. “I’m afraid to get knocked out, afraid to get humiliated, afraid to have done all that work and put all that effort for nothing, and not be as good as people expect me to be. That’s why I’m afraid.”

No, it’s not the type of fear that kicks the flight portion of fight-or-flight response into action. It’s actually quite the opposite for St-Pierre. It’s not fear of his opponent. It’s not fear that the man standing across from him has done more work to prepare or has the more dominant skills.

It’s actually a fear that kicks in the fight portion of his fight-or-flight response. It’s a motivator.

“It’s not really being afraid of my opponent,” he continued. “I’m afraid of not performing the best as I should. And I think it’s the same fear that keep me sharp, keep my reaction time better, and make me perform better.”

It’s something that St-Pierre talks about in his book, and his driven him to become a two-time UFC welterweight champion.

St-Pierre holds a professional record of 24-2, and is currently on an 11-fight winning streak. He has defended his belt eight consecutive times.

From Around the Web

Henderson vs. Boetsch, Rothwell vs. Mitrione booked for UFC Fight Night: Cormier vs. Bader

The UFC confirmed the addition of multiple fights to UFC Fight Night: Cormier vs. Bader in June, including Dan Henderson facing off against Tim Boetsch. New fights are set for UFC Fight Night: Cormie read news >>

Alex Oliveira meets Gilbert Burns at UFC Fight Night 62; Saunders-Silva new co-main

UFC Fight Night 62 in Brazil has a new co-main event, and Gilbert Burns has a new opponent.Filed under: MMA Rumors, News, UFC read news >>

Ronda Rousey vs. Cat Zingano staredown pic from UFC 184 weigh ins

Nothing left to do now except fight. Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) women's bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey came face-to-face with undefeated division No. 1 contender Cat Zingano at the clos read news >>

UFC 184: Rousey vs. Zingano staff picks and predictions

See who the Bloody Elbow staff is picking to win in every fight on tomorrow's UFC 184 pay-per-view event in Los Angeles, California. Ronda Rousey vs. Cat Zingano Mookie Alexander: Ronda Rousey is the read news >>

UFC 184 weigh-ins: Ronda Rousey vs. Cat Zingano

LOS ANGELES -- At the UFC 184 weigh-ins, Ronda Rousey and Cat Zingano both made weight for Saturday's night's main event. read news >>

Video: UFC 184 fighter weigh-ins replay

LOS ANGELES – Check out a video replay of today’s official fighter weigh-ins for UFC 184.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC 184 Weigh-in Results: Rousey vs. Zingano Set to Make History | MMAWeekly.com

UFC 184 is a milestone in the promotion's history, and Ronda Rousey and Cat Zingano made that official at Friday's weigh-in in Los Angeles. read news >>

UFC 184 Weigh-in Results: Rousey and Zingano Officially Ready to Make History | MMAWeekly.com

UFC 184 weigh in results for Ronda Rousey vs. Cat Zingano with full video replay

The official weigh in event for UFC 184: "Rousey vs. Zingano" went down earlier today (Fri., Feb. 27, 2015) from the Event Deck at L.A. Live on Hearn Court in Los Angeles, California. We nearly had a read news >>