What Drives Georges St-Pierre as He Walks Out to the UFC Octagon? … Fear

Georges St-Pierre UFC 111When a UFC champion walks out to the Octagon, especially a fighter like Georges St-Pierre, who is considered among the top pound-for-pound fighters on the planet, what goes through his head?

Thoughts of victory, confidence, and power? Not exactly.

How about feelings of fear?

St-Pierre was a guest on the recent Friday night edition of Inside MMA on AXS TV, hyping up his New York Times Best Seller “The Way of the Fight,” but gave an interesting glimpse into what goes through his mind as he walks out to the Octagon.

“I’m scared,” he revealed. “Before a fight, I doubt about myself. I’m scared.”

Not exactly the sort of positive reinforcement that you’d expect from one of the winningest champions in UFC history.

“I try to be confident, but deep down inside, I’m afraid,” St-Pierre admitted. “I’m afraid to get knocked out, afraid to get humiliated, afraid to have done all that work and put all that effort for nothing, and not be as good as people expect me to be. That’s why I’m afraid.”

No, it’s not the type of fear that kicks the flight portion of fight-or-flight response into action. It’s actually quite the opposite for St-Pierre. It’s not fear of his opponent. It’s not fear that the man standing across from him has done more work to prepare or has the more dominant skills.

It’s actually a fear that kicks in the fight portion of his fight-or-flight response. It’s a motivator.

“It’s not really being afraid of my opponent,” he continued. “I’m afraid of not performing the best as I should. And I think it’s the same fear that keep me sharp, keep my reaction time better, and make me perform better.”

It’s something that St-Pierre talks about in his book, and his driven him to become a two-time UFC welterweight champion.

St-Pierre holds a professional record of 24-2, and is currently on an 11-fight winning streak. He has defended his belt eight consecutive times.

Georges St-Pierre is one step closer to fighting again. The former UFC welterweight champion has been medically cleared to resume MMA training, according to UFC president Dana White. St-Pierre met wi read news >>

Former UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre is back in training this week at Tristar gym in Montreal, Quebec. Following Dana White's announcement that Georges St-Pierre had been cleared to ret read news >>

Former longtime UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre returned to training this week after suffering a torn left ACL back in March. Apparently, it did not go particularly well. According to a r read news >>

Former UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre referred to his first day back at TriStar gym a “humiliating” experience. Georges St-Pierre may be cleared to return to training following his exten read news >>

The Octagon will be back in use this Saturday, September 27, for UFC 178. The event will take place at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas and is scheduled to begin at 7 p.m. ET. Headlining the event is a fly read news >>

It's a struggle. Blood on the canvas, smears of sweat. Panting, heaving, straining every muscle to its very limit and then beyond. Weeks and months spent in the gym, pressed against cages and mats in read news >>

Dominick Cruz made his long awaited return to the Octagon -- and when I say "long awaited", I mean some three years -- tonight (Sat., Sept. 27, 2014) at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevad read news >>

Dominick Cruz looked better than anyone could have hoped for in his UFC 178 comeback fight, dominating Takeya Mizugaki and stopping him in just over a minute. Dominick Cruz returned to the UFC Octago read news >>

Conor McGregor convinced many people of his star potential with a first-round knockout of Dustin Poirier on Saturday at UFC 178, but no one more so than UFC President Dana White.Filed under: Featured read news >>