What Drives Georges St-Pierre as He Walks Out to the UFC Octagon? … Fear

Georges St-Pierre UFC 111When a UFC champion walks out to the Octagon, especially a fighter like Georges St-Pierre, who is considered among the top pound-for-pound fighters on the planet, what goes through his head?

Thoughts of victory, confidence, and power? Not exactly.

How about feelings of fear?

St-Pierre was a guest on the recent Friday night edition of Inside MMA on AXS TV, hyping up his New York Times Best Seller “The Way of the Fight,” but gave an interesting glimpse into what goes through his mind as he walks out to the Octagon.

“I’m scared,” he revealed. “Before a fight, I doubt about myself. I’m scared.”

Not exactly the sort of positive reinforcement that you’d expect from one of the winningest champions in UFC history.

“I try to be confident, but deep down inside, I’m afraid,” St-Pierre admitted. “I’m afraid to get knocked out, afraid to get humiliated, afraid to have done all that work and put all that effort for nothing, and not be as good as people expect me to be. That’s why I’m afraid.”

No, it’s not the type of fear that kicks the flight portion of fight-or-flight response into action. It’s actually quite the opposite for St-Pierre. It’s not fear of his opponent. It’s not fear that the man standing across from him has done more work to prepare or has the more dominant skills.

It’s actually a fear that kicks in the fight portion of his fight-or-flight response. It’s a motivator.

“It’s not really being afraid of my opponent,” he continued. “I’m afraid of not performing the best as I should. And I think it’s the same fear that keep me sharp, keep my reaction time better, and make me perform better.”

It’s something that St-Pierre talks about in his book, and his driven him to become a two-time UFC welterweight champion.

St-Pierre holds a professional record of 24-2, and is currently on an 11-fight winning streak. He has defended his belt eight consecutive times.

From Around the Web

Former UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre talks about PEDs and ends all speculation about him making a return to MMA in 2015. Former UFC champion Georges St-Pierre has always been vocal abou read news >>

Former welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre has weighed in with his thoughts on the UFC newly announced increased drug testing program, and it sounds like the former champ is in favor. On Wednesda read news >>

Women's Bantamweight champion, Ronda Rousey, returned to the Octagon tonight (Sat., Feb. 28, 2015) to defend her 135-pound crown against No. 1-ranked division contender, Cat Zingano, in the main even read news >>

When longtime UFC champion Georges St-Pierre decided to take a break from MMA, he cited a performance-enhancing drug problem and the UFC’s inadequate drug testing as two of his primary reasons.Filed read news >>

Nik Lentz will welcome Levan Makashvili to the Octagon at UFC Fight Night 60 on Feb. 14 in Broomfield, Colo.Lentz has won four of his past five fights.Makashvili, who will make his UFC debut, replace read news >>

Your regular dose of familiar faces from the UFC, WEC, and reality TV. Part two of this week's regional coverage begins with last Friday's CES 27, which hosted a few former hopefuls from The Ultimate read news >>

Last Saturday night at UFC 183, former UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva returned to the Octagon for the first time in 399 days to tangle with former Strikeforce champion Nick Diaz... read news >>

The initial response across the mixed martial arts (MMA) community when it was revealed that former Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) middleweight champion Anderson Silva had failed a pre-fight dr read news >>

Former UFC champ Georges St-Pierre says Anderson Silva shouldn't have been allowed to compete with a 'biological weapon'. Georges St-Pierre spoke more about Anderson Silva's recent drug test failure, read news >>