What Drives Georges St-Pierre as He Walks Out to the UFC Octagon? … Fear

Georges St-Pierre UFC 111When a UFC champion walks out to the Octagon, especially a fighter like Georges St-Pierre, who is considered among the top pound-for-pound fighters on the planet, what goes through his head?

Thoughts of victory, confidence, and power? Not exactly.

How about feelings of fear?

St-Pierre was a guest on the recent Friday night edition of Inside MMA on AXS TV, hyping up his New York Times Best Seller “The Way of the Fight,” but gave an interesting glimpse into what goes through his mind as he walks out to the Octagon.

“I’m scared,” he revealed. “Before a fight, I doubt about myself. I’m scared.”

Not exactly the sort of positive reinforcement that you’d expect from one of the winningest champions in UFC history.

“I try to be confident, but deep down inside, I’m afraid,” St-Pierre admitted. “I’m afraid to get knocked out, afraid to get humiliated, afraid to have done all that work and put all that effort for nothing, and not be as good as people expect me to be. That’s why I’m afraid.”

No, it’s not the type of fear that kicks the flight portion of fight-or-flight response into action. It’s actually quite the opposite for St-Pierre. It’s not fear of his opponent. It’s not fear that the man standing across from him has done more work to prepare or has the more dominant skills.

It’s actually a fear that kicks in the fight portion of his fight-or-flight response. It’s a motivator.

“It’s not really being afraid of my opponent,” he continued. “I’m afraid of not performing the best as I should. And I think it’s the same fear that keep me sharp, keep my reaction time better, and make me perform better.”

It’s something that St-Pierre talks about in his book, and his driven him to become a two-time UFC welterweight champion.

St-Pierre holds a professional record of 24-2, and is currently on an 11-fight winning streak. He has defended his belt eight consecutive times.

Georges St-Pierre may or may not return to the octagon, but when he does, a title shot is waiting for him, according to UFC President Dana White.Filed under: Featured, MMA Rumors, News, UFC read news >>

Former UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre says he'll never fight again without drug testing from a credible independent anti-doping organization. read news >>

Former longtime UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre says fight fans shouldn't expect him to strap on the gloves again unless the world's premiere mixed martial arts organization institutes in read news >>

Growing up, former UFC champion Georges St-Pierre was a big fan of WWE legend Hulk Hogan, so it's no surprise that the 33-year-old had a huge smile when he took a picture with Hogan.St-Pierre posted read news >>

UFC middleweight, Cung Le talks about Bisping's propensity for showmanship, a future fight with Anderson Silva and weight maintenance and cutting. Saturday morning (that's right folks, another one of read news >>

Ben Saunders hadn’t set foot inside the Octagon since 2010, but on Saturday at UFC Fight Night “Henderson vs. Dos Anjos” the Bellator MMA veteran returned in historic fashion, finis read news >>

It’s hard to believe a fighter like Junior dos Santos, a former UFC champion with a record of 16-3, may be a man with no place to go, but that’s the situation before him now. Granted, the UFC will no read news >>

On Saturday morning, Cung Le returned to the Octagon following a nearly two-year absence to face off against middleweight contender Michael Bisping. Le had been on a two-fight win streak, both back i read news >>

Heavy action from the regional circuit this weekend, which includes embattled featherweight George Sotiropoulos's first fight outside the UFC in over seven years and the the continuing adventures of read news >>