What Drives Georges St-Pierre as He Walks Out to the UFC Octagon? … Fear

Georges St-Pierre UFC 111When a UFC champion walks out to the Octagon, especially a fighter like Georges St-Pierre, who is considered among the top pound-for-pound fighters on the planet, what goes through his head?

Thoughts of victory, confidence, and power? Not exactly.

How about feelings of fear?

St-Pierre was a guest on the recent Friday night edition of Inside MMA on AXS TV, hyping up his New York Times Best Seller “The Way of the Fight,” but gave an interesting glimpse into what goes through his mind as he walks out to the Octagon.

“I’m scared,” he revealed. “Before a fight, I doubt about myself. I’m scared.”

Not exactly the sort of positive reinforcement that you’d expect from one of the winningest champions in UFC history.

“I try to be confident, but deep down inside, I’m afraid,” St-Pierre admitted. “I’m afraid to get knocked out, afraid to get humiliated, afraid to have done all that work and put all that effort for nothing, and not be as good as people expect me to be. That’s why I’m afraid.”

No, it’s not the type of fear that kicks the flight portion of fight-or-flight response into action. It’s actually quite the opposite for St-Pierre. It’s not fear of his opponent. It’s not fear that the man standing across from him has done more work to prepare or has the more dominant skills.

It’s actually a fear that kicks in the fight portion of his fight-or-flight response. It’s a motivator.

“It’s not really being afraid of my opponent,” he continued. “I’m afraid of not performing the best as I should. And I think it’s the same fear that keep me sharp, keep my reaction time better, and make me perform better.”

It’s something that St-Pierre talks about in his book, and his driven him to become a two-time UFC welterweight champion.

St-Pierre holds a professional record of 24-2, and is currently on an 11-fight winning streak. He has defended his belt eight consecutive times.

And no amount of money will change his tune. You've heard it a million times before; Rory MacDonald and former Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) welterweight champion, Georges St-Pierre, will neve read news >>

As if The Ultimate Fighter 20 Finale on Friday wasn't enough, the Octagon is primed for a quick turnaround, as UFC on Fox 13 will air this Saturday, December 13. The card is bursting at the seams, wi read news >>

And had the athletic commission tested Diaz after UFC 158, he probably would've tested positive. Nick Diaz is making his much-anticipated return to mixed martial arts (MMA) when he faces Anderson Sil read news >>

Urijah Faber last stepped in the Octagon in July, which means he's had ample opportunities to start new businesses. Faber is a prolific businessman. He owns a gym, is a partial owner in his managemen read news >>

Say what? When Bobby Green steps into the Octagon to face Edson Barboza at this weekend's (Sat. Nov. 22, 2014) UFC Fight Night 57: "Edgar vs. Swanson" event in Austin, Texas, it could possibly be his read news >>

Johny Hendricks is about to square up with Robbie Lawler for the second time, but first, take a look back at his epic fight with former UFC welterweight kingpin Georges St-Pierre from UFC 167. SEE AL read news >>

Although he ultimately won the title in his very next bout, did Johny Hendricks actually deserve the belt after fighting then-champ Georges St-Pierre at UFC 167?Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

At UFC Fight Night 57 this past weekend, Matt Wiman made his return to the Octagon against Issac Vallie-Flagg, whom he defeated via unanimous decision. read news >>

It was a clean sweep for former UFC fighters this weekend, including Chris Camozzi's return to action on the regional circuit. Big weekend for the UFC pedigree, beginning last Friday at Brazil's Nitr read news >>

Jump to: