Welterweight Paul ‘Semtex’ Daley Released from Strikeforce Contract



Paul Daley and Strikeforce have parted ways, according to a release from the British fighter’s representatives at Fight Management Limited.

According to the heavy-handed welterweight, Daley’s release was due in part to his desire to fight more frequently.

“I’m happy that Strikeforce has granted my request to be released from their roster as I found it difficult to fight so infrequently,” Daley stated in a release. “My whole career, I’ve wanted to fight as often as possible, as it keeps me in the best form and condition.”

The news comes on the heels of Daley’s split-decision defeat to former Pride Fighting Championships talent Kazuo Misaki, who edged “Semtex” in a March 3 unanimous decision at Strikeforce “Tate vs. Rousey.”

Daley exits the organization following three consecutive losses for the Zuffa-owned promotion. The Team Rough House fighter earned his last Strikeforce victory in December 2010, when he demolished Scott Smith with a vicious left hook. Defeats to Nick Diaz, Tyron Woodley and Misaki would follow, though Daley did post a pair of victories over Jordan Radev and Luigi Fioravanti last year outside the six-sided Strikeforce cage. Known for his punching power, Daley has earned 20 of his 29 career wins by knockout.

“I felt that I put on nothing but entertaining fights while at the organization. The knockouts of [Duane] Ludwig and Scott Smith were some great memories for me, as well as the back-and-forth fight of the year I had with Nick Diaz,” said Daley. “My manager has already started speaking to some promotions about my future today following the official release papers from Strikeforce, and I’m looking forward to the next part in my journey.”

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

  • 8 days ago
  • 16 views

Coker wants it, "Semtex" does not, but what about Melvin? Scott Coker said he wanted to put on big fights, and this one could be a doozy. Coker, the recently-appointed president of Bellator MMA, is e read news >>

  • 8 days ago
  • 3 views

If all goes well, two of Bellator's newest signed sluggers are going to square off against each other later this year. Bellator president Scott Coker revealed on Monday's edition of The MMA Hour that read news >>

  • 19 days ago
  • 213 views

Bellator MMA has released War Machine after learning that the welterweight is wanted by Las Vegas for his part in an altercation that sent two people to the hospital. read news >>

  • 8 days ago
  • 34 views

Melvin Manhoef and Paul Daley are two of Bellator MMA’s newest signings. read news >>

  • 5 days ago
  • 9 views

Paul Daley is free to fight in the United States again. According to Bellator president Scott Coker, Daley (34-13-2) has finally been granted a working visa from the US government to resume his Bella read news >>

  • 13 days ago
  • 1 views

Magomedrasul Khasbulaev wants to fight as soon as possible. The Dagestani featherweight, who earned a shot at the Bellator title after winning the 145-pound tournament in April, 2013, couldn’t return read news >>

  • 19 days ago
  • 32 views

In an unsurprising move, Bellator has released Jon Koppenhaver aka War Machine from his contract. The "new" Bellator wasted no time in cutting ties with War Machine in the wake of his latest set of l read news >>

  • 13 days ago
  • 142 views

Two years after signing a contract with the UFC, Geronimo dos Santos is no longer on the UFC roster. "Mondragon" signed with the promotion in 2012 to compete at the UFC 153 card in Rio de Janeiro aga read news >>

  • 16 days ago
  • 12 views

Assuming he doesn't choke. Former Strikeforce welterweight champion Tarec Saffiedine will be looking to get himself into the 170-pound title hunt at the UFC Fight Night 54 event, expected to air on F read news >>