chris-weidman-19.jpgUFC President Dana White promised the world that new UFC middleweight champion Chris Weidman (10-0 MMA, 6-0 UFC) and former kingpin Anderson Silva (33-5 MMA, 16-1 UFC) would meet again. Now it’s official.

The UFC boss today revealed on ESPN’s SportsCenter that both Weidman and Silva have agreed to meet on Dec. 28 in the headlining bout of a previously announced UFC 168 event, which takes place at Las Vegas’ MGM Grand Garden Arena. The night’s main card, including the Weidman vs. Silva rematch, airs on pay-per-view. White further confirmed that bout agreements have already been signed.

White previously announced UFC 168 would see women’s bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey (7-0 MMA, 1-0 UFC) face former Strikeforce title holder Miesha Tate (13-4 MMA, 0-1 UFC) in the evening’s main event. However, that fight between former Strikeforce champs and opposing “The Ultimate Fighter 18? coaches will instead serve as the co-main event of what starts out as a star-studded affair.

“I don’t know if there’s any more hype ever in UFC history after a fight,” White said. “Everybody has been wondering if there’s going to be a rematch. I’ve been working on it since Thursday. December 28 in Las Vegas at the MGM Grand, Anderson Silva will fight Chris Weidman, and the co-main event will be Ronda Rousey vs. Miesha Tate.”

The announcement comes one week after this past Saturday night’s historic UFC 162 event in Las Vegas, where a confident Weidman upset the former champion. Weidman, of course, expressed his desire to face Silva a second time even before they stepped into the cage at UFC 162, knowing it would take a pair of victories over the pound-for-pound great. Meanwhile, the former champ at first suggested that he wasn’t immediately interested in a rematch, but White insisted that the Brazilian would reconsider his position and seek redemption against the undefeated Weidman.

He has.

“I back,” Silva said in a brief recorded statement. “Trust me. I back.”

For more on UFC 168, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

(Pictured: Chris Weidman)

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

Lewis vs Tybura Set as Manila Co-Main Event

  • 27 days ago
  • 0 views

Sporting a four-fight winning streak that includes three knockout victories, No. 10-ranked heavyweight contender Derrick Lewis will travel to the Philippines on Saturday, October 15 to battle rising read news >>

By The Numbers - Fight Night Hamburg

  • 27 days ago
  • 1 views

Go inside the numbers of Fight Night Hamburg, featuring main and co-main event stars Andrei Arlovski, Josh Barnett, Alexander Gustafsson and Jan Blachowicz. read news >>

Georges St-Pierre Talks UFC Return, Dana White and Possible Comeback Opponents

  • 26 days ago
  • 109 views

Georges St-Pierre has reaffirmed his intention to make a full return to MMA and has hit back at suggestions from UFC President Dana White that he doesn’t have the desire to fight. The 35-year-old has read news >>

UFC 203: Miocic vs. Overeem Extended Video Preview

  • 21 days ago
  • 26 views

Take an in-depth look into the UFC 203: Miocic vs. Overeem main and co-main events. read news >>

Dana White Says Robbie Lawler vs. Donald Cerrone Signed for UFC 205 in New York

  • 19 days ago
  • 47 views

Dana White says an exciting bout between Robbie Lawler and Donald "Cowboy" Cerrone has been inked for UFC 205 in New York. read news >>

By The Numbers - UFC 203

  • 20 days ago
  • 2 views

Go inside the numbers of UFC 203, featuring heavyweight title fight Stipe Miocic vs Alistair Overeem and co-main event Fabricio Werdum and Travis Browne. read news >>

UFC 203 Fight Highlights: Fabricio Werdum and Travis Browne's Controversial Fight | MMAWeekly.com

  • 16 days ago
  • 49 views

Former heavyweight champion Fabricio Werdum took on sixth-ranked Travis Browne in the UFC 203 co-main event on Saturday in Cleveland, Ohio. read news >>

Dana White on Mickey Gall Calling Out Sage Northcutt: ‘We’ll Make It Happen’ | MMAWeekly.com

  • 15 days ago
  • 51 views

After Mickey Gall called out Sage Northcutt following his win over CM Punk at UFC 203 on Saturday, Dana White says Northcutt is open to the bout. read news >>

Dana White Says No More Conor McGregor Fights at Welterweight | MMAWeekly.com

  • 13 days ago
  • 484 views

UFC president Dana White says a trilogy fight between Conor McGregor and Nate Diaz is unlikely and that McGregor needs to defend his 145-pound title. read news >>

Will Dana White Still Run the UFC in 5 Years? | MMAWeekly.com

  • 13 days ago
  • 28 views

UFC president Dana White is under a five-year deal to remain with the company's new ownership. But what happens when the five years is up? read news >>