Wanderlei Silva wants ‘title fight’ with Dan Henderson


Wanderlei Silva’s future is uncertain since he decided to run away from a random test from Nevada Athletic Commission, but it doesn’t stop him from asking for fights.

Silva, who recently suggested a match-up with former Strikeforce middleweight champion Luke Rockhold, now aims for a trilogy bout with fellow PRIDE star Dan Henderson.

"I want to be back soon for my 50th fight," Silva said in an interview to Lance. "I would like it to be in a special event. It’s not new that I would like to face Belfort or Sonnen, but another guy that I would like to fight is Dan Henderson, and this fight is quite possible."

Silva and Henderson fought for the first time in 2000. "Hendo" was making his PRIDE debut, and lost the bout via unanimous decision. Seven years later, Henderson took "The Axe Murderer’s" middleweight title with a third-round knockout.

"We’re tied 1-1 and a rubber match would be cool," he said. "In my last fight at PRIDE, I lost my belt and never had the chance to rematch. If this fight happens now, I would even ask him to take the belt and the winner would keep it [laughs]."

There’s no word yet if the Brazilian will be suspended by the athletic commission for avoiding the drug test, but Silva doesn’t seem to worry about it. In fact, he says the UFC needs a big fight after so many cards with unknown fighters.

"I think that Wanderlei vs. Dan Henderson could happen anywhere," he said. "If it’s in Brazil, it would be beautiful if it happens in a soccer stadium in Curitiba, which is my home. UFC does a lot of cards and sometimes you don’t even know who’s fighting, but when they look Wanderlei Silva and Dan Henderson, it sells well. A fight between champions has to be considered in a big show."

Henderson quickly responded to Silva’s callout on Twitter.

"I'm good with it," he wrote, "what do you guys think?"

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

  • 25 days ago
  • 0 views

On last week's edition of The MMA Beat, the panelists discussed a variety of interesting topics, including Eddie Alvarez singing with the UFC, his match-up against Donald Cerrone, Wanderlei Silva's f read news >>

  • 20 days ago
  • 10 views

SACRAMENTO, Calif. - It doesn't take a deep reading of the tea leaves to figure out Renan Barao is going to have to quite a bit of work to get out of the UFC's doghouse. The former UFC bantamweight c read news >>

  • 18 days ago
  • 8 views

UFC heavyweight title challenger Fabricio Werdum isn’t convinced Wanderlei Silva’s trouble with the Nevada State Athletic Commission will tarnish his career.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

  • 8 days ago
  • 0 views

Wanderlei Silva’s lawyer, Ross Goodman, reveals why the Nevada State Athletic Commission has no jurisdiction to suspend his client from competing outside Nevada. read news >>

  • 15 hours ago
  • 51 views

Wanderlei Silva will never fight again. More than a year after his last fight inside the Octagon, and still involved a controversy with the Nevada Athletic Commission, the former PRIDE champion has a read news >>

  • 14 hours ago
  • 2 views

After 49 professional fights, Wanderlei Silva has announced his retirement from mixed martial arts. read news >>

  • 13 hours ago
  • 2 views

An extremely emotional Wanderlei Silva on Friday announced his retirement from fighting, blaming his loss of desire on the way the UFC has treated him and other fighters. read news >>

  • 28 days ago
  • 0 views

Christos Giagos has quietly amassed a 9-2 record, and on Friday has a huge opportunity before him, as he faces Dakota Cochrane for the RFA lightweight championship. read news >>

  • 24 days ago
  • 0 views

A bantamweight title fight between dynamic champion Marlon Moraes (13-4-1) and undefeated Canadian contender Josh "Gentleman" Hill (10-0) headlines World Series of Fighting 13. read news >>