Wanderlei Silva doesn't mind being called out by Tom Watson


Former PRIDE champ Wanderlei Silva (35-12-1 MMA, 4-5 UFC) today sounded a bit surprised that British fighter Tom Wason (16-5 MMA, 1-1 UFC) called him out, but not the least bit upset.

“More guys talking about me is good,” Silva told MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio). “Talking good or talking bad, but talking about me is good.”

In other words, any publicity is good publicity. Still, it’s not like Silva needs much of that these days. Recently, he delivered a signature performance against Brian Stann that harkened pack to his earlier career in Japan, which, as it happened, was where their fight was held. The two headlined UFC on FUEL TV 8 earlier this month.

Just like in his heyday, Silva buzzed the crowd at Saitama Super Arena in Saitama, Japan, and laid his opponent out after a frenzied exchange of fists. He won performance bonuses for “Knockout of the Night” and “Fight of the Night,” which put an extra $100,000 in his pocket.

So Silva certainly doesn’t need the scratch, and with the capital he’s earned, he could ask for a marquee opponent. Watson, however, is a fine opponent – if the fans and the UFC want it.

“My name is on the list, like Brian Stann is coming as part of the new generation,” he said. “I’m so glad to give the opportunity for any guys in the UFC. If the UFC wants it, why not?”

One potential roadblock, however, is weight. Watson is a natural middleweight, and wants to fight Silva at 185 pounds.

“Yo @wandfc, stay on your supplements at 205, or come back to 185 and get knocked the f— out,” he wrote on Twitter.

Then again, Watson could take a few extra trips to the buffet if Silva gets his wish fight at 195 pounds, which he said is the perfect weight class for his frame. (He previously fought catchweight bouts at 190 and 195 pounds, and faced Stann at 205, which he recently suggested could be a permanent move.)

Whatever they decide, Silva is not going to pull the veteran card and say that Watson isn’t worthy of meeting a man of his achievements.

“I think if the fight is interesting, we need to do, whatever the record,” Silva said. “The public is the boss. If the public wants to see it, we need to do it.”

For more on the UFC’s upcoming schedule, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

MMAjunkie.com Radio broadcasts Monday-Friday at noon ET (9 a.m. PT) live from Mandalay Bay Resort & Casino’s Race & Sports Book. The show is hosted by “Gorgeous” George Garcia, MMAjunkie.com lead staff reporter John Morgan and producer Brian “Goze” Garcia. For more information or to download past episodes, go to www.mmajunkie.com/radio.

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

  • 18 days ago
  • 43 views

"What can a young fighter offer to his sponsors, if not the space on their shorts? To help, I am giving space on all my social media, which reaches millions of people. Show your sponsors and I will p read news >>

  • 16 days ago
  • 3 views

Wanderlei Silva talks about UFC fighter uniforms sponsored by Reebok and wants to help up and coming fighters maintain the sponsorships they already have. read news >>

  • 28 days ago
  • 37 views

Wanderlei Silva has unleashed another video, where he claims the UFC threatened to sue him, he apologizes to Cain Velasquez, and much more. read news >>

  • 28 days ago
  • 172 views

"I am retired, I don't fight anymore, I lost the desire. So what stops me from generating income now? Are these people going to keep threatening me? They'll keep coming to sue me every time I work wi read news >>

  • 28 days ago
  • 12 views

Wanderlei Silva is at it again with another video blasting the UFC. This time, his monologue was mostly about his assertion that the UFC threatened to sue him if he appeared at a Bellator fan event e read news >>

  • 27 days ago
  • 39 views

Wanderlei Silva may be retired from fighting, but that hasn’t kept him from limelighting in front of the camera.Filed under: Bellator, Featured, MMA Rumors, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

  • 27 days ago
  • 1 views

Wanderlei Silva on Friday claimed that the UFC threatened to sue him if he made a $10,000 appearance at Bellator 131. read news >>

  • 27 days ago
  • 289 views

Wanderlei Silva wants to know why the UFC is blocking him from profiting from his own image. Wanderlei Silva recently had plans to appear at Bellator's big Bellator 131 event to sign autographs. Pred read news >>

  • 26 days ago
  • 116 views

Former UFC superstar, Chael P. Sonnen disscusses contract details, thoughts on Wanderlei Silva's aggressive stance with the UFC, nostalgia and whether he'll be crossing over to provide commentary for read news >>

Jump to: