Wanderlei Silva Tries to “Chael Sonnen” Chael Sonnen, but It Doesn’t Appear to Work

Chael Sonnen vs Wanderlei Silva PosterChael Sonnen, upon announcing that he wasn’t ready for retirement, immediately took aim at lining up his first post-Jon Jones opponent, Wanderlei Silva.

Sonnen lobbied hard and heavy for the fight, even going so far as making up his own promotional poster, trying to make the fight happen on the UFC’s upcoming Fox Sports 1 event in August.

When Silva didn’t respond, Sonnen issued an ultimatum.

“Wand- you have 24 hours to accept,” he tweeted. “If you do, I will donate 10% of my purse to help schools in your hometown of Curitiba .. I mean, VEGAS.”

The deadline has come and gone, and it appears that the opportunity to put the fight together may have as well.

“I only follow a couple of rules in fighting, but one of them is you don’t bully a guy,” said Sonnen on Tuesday night’s edition of UFC Tonight. “If a guy doesn’t want to fight, you don’t keep picking on him.

“I gave (Silva) the timeline. I was also giving it to myself. If he doesn’t answer, I’m done and I’ll move on, and I have.”

Sonnen was then hit with comments from UFC Tonight reporter Ariel Helwani, who spoke with Silva prior to the show.

Silva said that he hadn’t even heard of Sonnen’s deadline, and added that UFC officials have not offered him the bout. He sounded as if he wanted the fight, however, providing a few choice words aimed squarely at Sonnen.

“Jon Jones and Anderson Silva have been too nice to Chael. I want to suck his blood. I want to smell it,” he said. “Not just fight. Not just fight. I want to hurt him.

“Chael is a joke man. He is going to be second forever. He is never going to be first.”

Silva was obviously playing Sonnen’s baiting game and shoving it right back in his face, but it didn’t sound as if Sonnen took the hook.

“I think the real breaking news there is that Wanderlei Silva put together a coherent sentence that somebody understood,” commented Sonnen. “But I can assure you, Wanderlei, I will not be signing a contract for you to suck on any part of me. I suggest you go to a bath and find yourself.”

UFC light-heavyweight competitor Wanderlei Silva is convinced that Chael Sonnen will return to the octagon once he finishes his suspension. Although it would appear that Chael Sonnen's professional c read news >>

Former Pride champion Wanderlei Silva had his grudge match with Chael Sonnen scheduled for earlier this month postponed after "The Axe Murderer" ran into some trouble with the Nevada State Athletic C read news >>

With his fighting status in limbo, Wanderlei Silva remains hopeful he'll get a chance to settle up with Chael Sonnen in the Octagon. "I think he retired just for now, I think after finishing his susp read news >>

Where you at, Ralek? Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) light heavyweight Wanderlei Silva, who coached alongside bitter rival Chael Sonnen on season three of The Ultimate Fighter (TUF): "Brazil," s read news >>

LOS ANGELES – Michael Bisping has suffered losses to Vitor Belfort, Chael Sonnen and Wanderlei Silva. What do those three fighters have in common? They’ve all been caught up in drug testing scandals read news >>

With Chael Sonnen out for the next two years due to multiple drug test failures, Wanderlei Silva, who doesn't seem to think he'll be suspended for ducking a drug test, is calling out Dan Henderson, w read news >>

Watch as former UFC standout Chael Sonnen appears in front of the Nevada State Athletic Commission on Wednesday, July 23, to talk about his two failed drug tests. read news >>

After yesterday's Nevada Athletic Commission (NAC) hearing involving Vitor Belfort and Chael Sonnen, what isn't there to say? Did the punishments fit the crime? What message did the NAC really send, read news >>

The Nevada State Athletic Commission put together a star-studded hearing Wednesday. Serial woman abuser (who moonlights two or three times a year as a boxer) Floyd Mayweather, Jr. was the biggest nam read news >>