Wanderlei Silva Tries to “Chael Sonnen” Chael Sonnen, but It Doesn’t Appear to Work

• submit to reddit

Chael Sonnen vs Wanderlei Silva PosterChael Sonnen, upon announcing that he wasn’t ready for retirement, immediately took aim at lining up his first post-Jon Jones opponent, Wanderlei Silva.

Sonnen lobbied hard and heavy for the fight, even going so far as making up his own promotional poster, trying to make the fight happen on the UFC’s upcoming Fox Sports 1 event in August.

When Silva didn’t respond, Sonnen issued an ultimatum.

“Wand- you have 24 hours to accept,” he tweeted. “If you do, I will donate 10% of my purse to help schools in your hometown of Curitiba .. I mean, VEGAS.”

The deadline has come and gone, and it appears that the opportunity to put the fight together may have as well.

“I only follow a couple of rules in fighting, but one of them is you don’t bully a guy,” said Sonnen on Tuesday night’s edition of UFC Tonight. “If a guy doesn’t want to fight, you don’t keep picking on him.

“I gave (Silva) the timeline. I was also giving it to myself. If he doesn’t answer, I’m done and I’ll move on, and I have.”

Sonnen was then hit with comments from UFC Tonight reporter Ariel Helwani, who spoke with Silva prior to the show.

Silva said that he hadn’t even heard of Sonnen’s deadline, and added that UFC officials have not offered him the bout. He sounded as if he wanted the fight, however, providing a few choice words aimed squarely at Sonnen.

“Jon Jones and Anderson Silva have been too nice to Chael. I want to suck his blood. I want to smell it,” he said. “Not just fight. Not just fight. I want to hurt him.

“Chael is a joke man. He is going to be second forever. He is never going to be first.”

Silva was obviously playing Sonnen’s baiting game and shoving it right back in his face, but it didn’t sound as if Sonnen took the hook.

“I think the real breaking news there is that Wanderlei Silva put together a coherent sentence that somebody understood,” commented Sonnen. “But I can assure you, Wanderlei, I will not be signing a contract for you to suck on any part of me. I suggest you go to a bath and find yourself.”

The Nevada Athletic Commission (NAC) has yet to announce a punishment for Wanderlei Silva for refusing to do a random drug test and later admitting the use of diuretics, but the former PRIDE champion is confident he won’t face any hurdles once he decides to get back in the Octagon. Silva, who hasn’t fought since March of 2013, said in an interview to Tatame in Brazil that he’s "totally clean and cleared to fight as soon as possible." "Life is great. I’m training well," Silva said. "I did a test more

Wanderlei Silva has been in the video-making business more than he’s been in the fighting business of late. Ben Fowlkes offers up a video response of his own to “The Axe Murderer.”Filed under: Featured, Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos more

Chael Sonnen retired from MMA, but he has a no-gi match coming up against grappling wizard Andre Galvao in August. Metamoris 4 is scheduled for the Peterson Automotive Museum in Los Angeles, Calif., on August 9, and Metamoris president Ralek Gracie believes that competing in a no-gi match against a guy like Galvao was "a perfect fit" for the former UFC middleweight and light heavyweight title contender. "I think Chael, given everything that was happening with the UFC, I thought it would be an in more

Some grappling purists were let down when the Metamoris 4 headlining matchup was announced as Chael Sonnen vs. Andre Galvao, but company President Ralek Gracie believes it will be a great no-gi contest. Speaking on Ariel Helwani's The MMA Hour yesterday, Gracie stated that while Sonnen may not be a decorated Brazilian jiu-jitsu black belt like Galvao, he is still a very competent grappler, per MMA Fighting. "It really was kind of a perfect fit for him (Sonnen) be able to say ‘you know what, I’m more

Andre Galvao has a unique challenge ahead of him. Galvao, a multiple time jiu-jitsu world champion and ADCC winner, headlines Metamoris 4 card against UFC veteran Chael Sonnen in Los Angeles, Calif., on Aug. 9, in a 20-minute no-gi, submission-only match. Sonnen accepted the challenge days after announcing his retirement from MMA after testing positive in a random drug test, but the fact that he never competed in a grappling match against a guy with Galvao’s credentials doesn’t mean it’s a walk more

Might be time to re-think all those submission losses in MMA... "It won't be easy... He has evolved and that's natural. If you fight MMA, you should know jiu-jitsu. That's a fact. That's why he trains jiu-jitsu like every other MMA fighter. Evolution is a consequence of training, and he has evolved a lot. I will train and fight by the rules, going for the submission on top or from the bottom. Who knows, maybe he'll pull guard. I have to be ready for every situation. If people think that (I will more

Less than a month after retiring from mixed martial arts, Chael Sonnen will make his debut for Brazilian jiu-jitsu promotion Metamoris on Aug. 9. more

During a segment on Wednesday night's FOX Sports Live, UFC Tonight hosts Kenny Florian and Chael Sonnen were asked to weigh-in on the recent controversy surrounding Uruguayan soccer star Luis Suarez. The Barclay's Premier League's top scorer has been banned for nine games and four months by FIFA for biting Italian defender Giorgio Chiellini during Uruguay's World Cup match with Italy on Jun. 24, his third such offense. "Lets start with what happened on the soccer field," said Sonnen. "To bite so more

But to be fair, I probably would have done likewise. If you stick your finger in Chael Sonnen's mouth during the course of a wrestling match, he will bite it. That's according to the "shady" UFC Tonight co-host, who weighed in on the recent kerfuffle involving Uruguayan soccer star Luis Suarez, who was banned for nine games (and four months) by FIFA for biting an opponent during the World Cup on Wednesday. His words: "Lets start with what happened on the soccer field. To bite someone in the cour more