Wanderlei Silva Tries to “Chael Sonnen” Chael Sonnen, but It Doesn’t Appear to Work

Chael Sonnen vs Wanderlei Silva PosterChael Sonnen, upon announcing that he wasn’t ready for retirement, immediately took aim at lining up his first post-Jon Jones opponent, Wanderlei Silva.

Sonnen lobbied hard and heavy for the fight, even going so far as making up his own promotional poster, trying to make the fight happen on the UFC’s upcoming Fox Sports 1 event in August.

When Silva didn’t respond, Sonnen issued an ultimatum.

“Wand- you have 24 hours to accept,” he tweeted. “If you do, I will donate 10% of my purse to help schools in your hometown of Curitiba .. I mean, VEGAS.”

The deadline has come and gone, and it appears that the opportunity to put the fight together may have as well.

“I only follow a couple of rules in fighting, but one of them is you don’t bully a guy,” said Sonnen on Tuesday night’s edition of UFC Tonight. “If a guy doesn’t want to fight, you don’t keep picking on him.

“I gave (Silva) the timeline. I was also giving it to myself. If he doesn’t answer, I’m done and I’ll move on, and I have.”

Sonnen was then hit with comments from UFC Tonight reporter Ariel Helwani, who spoke with Silva prior to the show.

Silva said that he hadn’t even heard of Sonnen’s deadline, and added that UFC officials have not offered him the bout. He sounded as if he wanted the fight, however, providing a few choice words aimed squarely at Sonnen.

“Jon Jones and Anderson Silva have been too nice to Chael. I want to suck his blood. I want to smell it,” he said. “Not just fight. Not just fight. I want to hurt him.

“Chael is a joke man. He is going to be second forever. He is never going to be first.”

Silva was obviously playing Sonnen’s baiting game and shoving it right back in his face, but it didn’t sound as if Sonnen took the hook.

“I think the real breaking news there is that Wanderlei Silva put together a coherent sentence that somebody understood,” commented Sonnen. “But I can assure you, Wanderlei, I will not be signing a contract for you to suck on any part of me. I suggest you go to a bath and find yourself.”

Chael Sonnen's retirement from MMA hasn't exactly been silent. After the former UFC light heavyweight was suspended for two years by the Nevada Athletic Commission in July for testing positive for mu read news >>

• 22 hours ago

In a very Chael Sonnen-esque creative justification for his actions, former UFC title contender Chael Sonnen believes he and PRIDE legend Wanderlei Silva were simply victims of circumstance in MMA's read news >>

According to "The Axe Murderer", a producer told him during the show to "heat things up somehow". Wanderlei Silva told Band Television that his brawl with Chael Sonnen was motivated by a request from read news >>

Wanderlei Silva recently came out of nowhere and announced his retirement from mixed martial arts (MMA), bashing his longtime employers over at Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) in the process. Se read news >>

The former UFC middleweight contender spoke with MMAmania.com to help promote his upcoming gig as analyst for Battlegrounds O.N.E. on October 3, 2014 alongside wrestling legend Jim Ross. With the rec read news >>

Chael Sonnen says he forgives Wanderlei Silva for the PED issues during the lead up to their bout. Chael Sonnen recently spoke to MMA Mania about Wanderlei Silva's recent issues with the commissions. read news >>

After 49 professional fights, Wanderlei Silva has announced his retirement from mixed martial arts. read news >>

An extremely emotional Wanderlei Silva on Friday announced his retirement from fighting, blaming his loss of desire on the way the UFC has treated him and other fighters. read news >>

Las Vegas is a city famous for its sleight of hand, and that old magicians’ trick is what Dana White thinks Wanderlei Silva was doing with his retirement announcement.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>