Wanderlei Silva Tries to “Chael Sonnen” Chael Sonnen, but It Doesn’t Appear to Work

Chael Sonnen vs Wanderlei Silva PosterChael Sonnen, upon announcing that he wasn’t ready for retirement, immediately took aim at lining up his first post-Jon Jones opponent, Wanderlei Silva.

Sonnen lobbied hard and heavy for the fight, even going so far as making up his own promotional poster, trying to make the fight happen on the UFC’s upcoming Fox Sports 1 event in August.

When Silva didn’t respond, Sonnen issued an ultimatum.

“Wand- you have 24 hours to accept,” he tweeted. “If you do, I will donate 10% of my purse to help schools in your hometown of Curitiba .. I mean, VEGAS.”

The deadline has come and gone, and it appears that the opportunity to put the fight together may have as well.

“I only follow a couple of rules in fighting, but one of them is you don’t bully a guy,” said Sonnen on Tuesday night’s edition of UFC Tonight. “If a guy doesn’t want to fight, you don’t keep picking on him.

“I gave (Silva) the timeline. I was also giving it to myself. If he doesn’t answer, I’m done and I’ll move on, and I have.”

Sonnen was then hit with comments from UFC Tonight reporter Ariel Helwani, who spoke with Silva prior to the show.

Silva said that he hadn’t even heard of Sonnen’s deadline, and added that UFC officials have not offered him the bout. He sounded as if he wanted the fight, however, providing a few choice words aimed squarely at Sonnen.

“Jon Jones and Anderson Silva have been too nice to Chael. I want to suck his blood. I want to smell it,” he said. “Not just fight. Not just fight. I want to hurt him.

“Chael is a joke man. He is going to be second forever. He is never going to be first.”

Silva was obviously playing Sonnen’s baiting game and shoving it right back in his face, but it didn’t sound as if Sonnen took the hook.

“I think the real breaking news there is that Wanderlei Silva put together a coherent sentence that somebody understood,” commented Sonnen. “But I can assure you, Wanderlei, I will not be signing a contract for you to suck on any part of me. I suggest you go to a bath and find yourself.”

In a very Chael Sonnen-esque creative justification for his actions, former UFC title contender Chael Sonnen believes he and PRIDE legend Wanderlei Silva were simply victims of circumstance in MMA's read news >>

The former UFC middleweight contender spoke with MMAmania.com to help promote his upcoming gig as analyst for Battlegrounds O.N.E. on October 3, 2014 alongside wrestling legend Jim Ross. With the rec read news >>

According to "The Axe Murderer", a producer told him during the show to "heat things up somehow". Wanderlei Silva told Band Television that his brawl with Chael Sonnen was motivated by a request from read news >>

Chael Sonnen says he forgives Wanderlei Silva for the PED issues during the lead up to their bout. Chael Sonnen recently spoke to MMA Mania about Wanderlei Silva's recent issues with the commissions. read news >>

Dana White "doesn’t want to say anything bad about Wanderlei Silva," but he won’t stay quiet while the recently retired MMA light heavyweight rants about his MMA promotion. Silva retired from the spo read news >>

Good Ol’ J.R. spoke with BloodyElbow.com about his anticipated MMA broadcasting debut at Battlegrounds MMA, as well as a variety of other topics including his potential return to boxing, It has been read news >>

Wanderlei Silva talks about retirement, UFC fighter pay, Renan Barao, Dana White and the UFC Hall of Fame. Submission Radio was honored to have an exclusive interview with Wanderlei Silva which is hi read news >>

On this week's episode of "The MMA Beat," the panel will discuss Anderson Silva's press conference, Chael Sonnen's recent comments, the state of the bantamweight division, and more. Watch "The MMA Be read news >>

On the latest edition of the 'MMA Beat,' the panel discusses a variety of topics including Anderson Silva's press conference and comments towards Nick Diaz, Chael Sonnen's PED declaration, and the st read news >>