Wanderlei Silva Tries to “Chael Sonnen” Chael Sonnen, but It Doesn’t Appear to Work

Chael Sonnen vs Wanderlei Silva PosterChael Sonnen, upon announcing that he wasn’t ready for retirement, immediately took aim at lining up his first post-Jon Jones opponent, Wanderlei Silva.

Sonnen lobbied hard and heavy for the fight, even going so far as making up his own promotional poster, trying to make the fight happen on the UFC’s upcoming Fox Sports 1 event in August.

When Silva didn’t respond, Sonnen issued an ultimatum.

“Wand- you have 24 hours to accept,” he tweeted. “If you do, I will donate 10% of my purse to help schools in your hometown of Curitiba .. I mean, VEGAS.”

The deadline has come and gone, and it appears that the opportunity to put the fight together may have as well.

“I only follow a couple of rules in fighting, but one of them is you don’t bully a guy,” said Sonnen on Tuesday night’s edition of UFC Tonight. “If a guy doesn’t want to fight, you don’t keep picking on him.

“I gave (Silva) the timeline. I was also giving it to myself. If he doesn’t answer, I’m done and I’ll move on, and I have.”

Sonnen was then hit with comments from UFC Tonight reporter Ariel Helwani, who spoke with Silva prior to the show.

Silva said that he hadn’t even heard of Sonnen’s deadline, and added that UFC officials have not offered him the bout. He sounded as if he wanted the fight, however, providing a few choice words aimed squarely at Sonnen.

“Jon Jones and Anderson Silva have been too nice to Chael. I want to suck his blood. I want to smell it,” he said. “Not just fight. Not just fight. I want to hurt him.

“Chael is a joke man. He is going to be second forever. He is never going to be first.”

Silva was obviously playing Sonnen’s baiting game and shoving it right back in his face, but it didn’t sound as if Sonnen took the hook.

“I think the real breaking news there is that Wanderlei Silva put together a coherent sentence that somebody understood,” commented Sonnen. “But I can assure you, Wanderlei, I will not be signing a contract for you to suck on any part of me. I suggest you go to a bath and find yourself.”

• 18 hours ago

Loudmouthed contender making fun of a Brazilian champion every chance he gets? Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) featherweight phenom Conor McGregor, who is expected to fight Jose Aldo for the 145 read news >>

Talented wrestler promising to smash him on fight night? Nothing new for Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) light heavyweight champion Jon Jones. But while tensions are running high for the UFC 182 read news >>

Chael Sonnen returns with boxer-turned-actor-turned boxer Mickey Rourke, who delves into boxing past, as well as his allegedly fixed return to the boxing ring. read news >>

Move over Godzilla, there's a new beast rampaging through Tokyo. Deposed Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) middleweight Wanderlei Silva is back on the international fight circuit -- this time as a read news >>

Wanderlei Silva and Fedor Emelianenko, two of the most popular fighters from the Pride FC era, have returned to ring in the New Year Japanese MMA style. read news >>

Chael Sonnen returns with his weekly podcast to talk with Daniel Cormier about his upcoming fight vs. Jon Jones. Then Ultimate Fighter Runner-up Uriah Hall jumps on board. read news >>

But according to "The American Gangster," life already beat him to it. 2015 is here, so that means it's time for people all over the world to start doing good on their New Year's resolutions. Or fail read news >>

Former UFC middleweight and current ESPN MMA analyst Chael Sonnen breaks down the much-anticipated UFC 182 main event title fight between Jon Jones and Daniel Cormier. It's late in the afternoon on N read news >>

Former UFC title challenger Chael Sonnen breaks down the highly anticipated UFC 182 main event between Jon Jones and Daniel Cormier. UFC 182 is just a few short hours away - a fight card that will cu read news >>