Wanderlei Silva Still Wants Vitor Belfort Next After He’s Finished with Rich Franklin


  • Share on Tumblr
  • submit to reddit

Wanderlei Silva may have a new opponent in Rich Franklin at UFC 147, but that doesn’t mean he’s letting old grudges go.

For six weeks, Silva spent time with rival and fellow Brazilian Vitor Belfort as they coached the inaugural season of TUF Brasil, and when the season was over the two veterans were supposed to rematch.

Unfortunately, Belfort broke his hand a few weeks ago and was unable to take the fight with Silva as scheduled, and needless to say once he heard the news the former Pride champion was noticeably upset.

“It made me feel terrible because this was the main event here, I was training three months for that fight, I was ready for that fight. I lost 30 pounds for that fight and I was ready for that fight, and I look on my Twitter and Vitor broke his hand. I can’t believe it,” Silva told MMAWeekly Radio.

Silva didn’t need any motivation to face Belfort in a rematch almost 14 years in the making, but after spending so much time with him on the reality show, there was no shortage of desire to punch him in the face.

“It was heavy stuff. It’s not too easy because after he started talking, he don’t stop,” Silva said about Belfort. “I don’t know what happened. We had so much history, but he was talking a lot.”

Silva is now focused solely on facing Rich Franklin this weekend in Brazil as the headline fight for UFC 147, but when that fight is over he has some unfinished business with Vitor Belfort.

“Of course I want to fight with him,” Silva said. “I’m ready for a fight with him Saturday, but it’s going to be the next time.”

Follow @DamonMartin on Twitter or e-mail Damon Martin.
For more
UFC News and UFC Rumors, follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

view original article >>

Related News

  • 25 days ago
  • 31 views

While the judges gave UFC middleweight champion Chris Weidman a unanimous decision nod for his UFC 175 victory over Lyoto Machida, most observers would likely agree the final two frames were very competitive and could have gone Machida's way. The judges only gave Machida the fourth as did UFC President Dana White, according to his post-fight press conference comments.
Still, is that enough to get Machida a rematch? Probably not.
"I gave Machida the fourth round," White said when explaining his s more

  • 25 days ago
  • 14 views

Chris Weidman defended his UFC middleweight title for the second time at UFC 175, winning a unanimous decision over Lyoto Machida.
It was an excellent fight that pushed Weidman further than he had ever gone before. The champion got the nod on all three judges' scorecards to retain the title. With another contender down, who will be next up for Weidman?
At the UFC post-fight press conference, UFC President Dana White brought up the name Vitor Belfort. Belfort is currently the No. 2-ranked contend more

  • 24 days ago
  • 29 views

At the UFC 175 post-fight press conference, focus had already shifted from Chris Weidman’s impressive title defense against Lyoto Machida to whom Weidman will fight next. more

  • 24 days ago
  • 19 views

Perennial UFC middleweight contender Vitor Belfort feels he's been waiting on the sidelines for too long and is ready for another crack at UFC gold. Following 185-pound champ Chris Weidman's hard-fought win by decision over Lyoto Machida at UFC 175 Saturday night, "The Phenom" was quick to make it known on Twitter that he wants the next shot at "The All-American": Now I want what I deserve, MY TITIE SHOT!!! Don't run away!! No excuses!! Agora eu quero o q eu… http://t.co/wZYj8OBVAT
— Vitor Belfo more

  • 24 days ago
  • 41 views

Vitor Belfort could miss out once again on a shot at UFC middleweight champ Chris Weidman due to pending issues with the Nevada State Athletic Commission.
The Brazilian legend was originally slated to fight Weidman at UFC 173, but he was removed from the card and replaced with Lyoto Machida after the NSAC banned the use of testosterone replacement therapy, a treatment Belfort was on. The fight ended up being moved to UFC 175 after Weidman suffered a knee injury in training.
Belfort was then give more

  • 24 days ago
  • 60 views

Shortly after Chris Weidman's win at UFC 175 Vitor Belfort calls him out and says the champ shouldn't "run away" from him.
It didn't take long before Vitor Belfort started calling out Chris Weidman. Shortly after defeating Lyoto Machida in a thrilling 5-round battle at UFC 175, the Phenom immediately took to social media to demand for his title shot.
Related: UFC 175 results: Fights to make next Now I want what I deserve, MY TITIE SHOT!!! Don't run away!! No excuses!! Agora eu quero o q eu… http more

  • 24 days ago
  • 24 views

In dispatching Lyoto Machida at UFC 175, UFC middleweight champion Chris Weidman proved he's the best middleweight in the world.
This may seem obvious. Weidman was already the middleweight champion, after all. He beat the greatest fighter in the history of mixed martial arts, and he did so twice. By all rights, Weidman should've already been considered one of the best fighters in the world, regardless of weight class.
But there are those who didn't believe Weidman was the real deal, even after t more

  • 20 days ago
  • 38 views

First, it was Vitor Belfort's elevated levels of testosterone in February. Next came Wanderlei Silva's refusal to be tested in May. It all came to a climax only Shakespeare could pen when Chael Sonnen tested positive for human growth hormone, among a few other banned substances, in June—UFC middleweight Tim Kennedy had seen enough.
"They randomly test three dudes and all three fail," Kennedy first told ESPN's Brett Okamoto. "All in my weight class. All dudes I could potentially be fighting. I we more

  • 7 days ago
  • 184 views

He's back!
Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) middleweight contender Vitor Belfort has been cleared to return to the Octagon following his failed drug test back in February, which required "The Phenom" to purge his body of testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) before challenging for the 185-pound strap.
The verdict was handed down earlier today (Weds., July 23, 2014) during his administrative hearing with Nevada State Athletic Commission (NSAC), which aired online via UFC Fight Pass (live blo more