Wanderlei Silva Still Eyeing Chael Sonnen Fight, Even in Metamoris If Necessary

Former Pride champion Wanderlei Silva had his grudge match with Chael Sonnen scheduled for earlier this month postponed after "The Axe Murderer" ran into some trouble with the Nevada State Athletic Commission, but he still thinks the bout will happen.

The Brazilian slugger allegedly refused to take a random drug test administered by the commission, on top of not applying for his fighter's license on time, so he was removed from UFC 175 in late May, per MMA Fighting

While Sonnen was quick to poke fun at his longtime rival over the situation, he ended up in an even worse situation when he failed two random drug tests for performance-enhancing drugs in a two-week period, per MMA Fighting

Last week, the NSAC dropped the hammer on Sonnen and issued him a two-year suspension, though the suspension was likely in vain, since "The American Gangster" announced his retirement prior to the hearing. 

With all that in mind, Silva told Submission Radio on Sunday that he still believes a showdown with Sonnen will materialize before he hangs up the gloves—whether it occurs in the Octagon or on the mat. 

"I think he retired just for now, I think after finishing his suspension, he's gonna (come) back. I hope this fight is gonna happen," Silva said.

When addressing Sonnen's failed drug tests, he added “Yeah this is bad for everyone, bad for him, bad for me, bad for the fans who want so much that fight. But I’m gonna (be) waiting for him."

When asked if he'd consider fighting Sonnen in a grappling-only-style matchup in Metamoris, he responded "Yeah, why not. I never think about that but I think it’s a good idea."

While Silva is a Brazilian jiu-jitsu black belt, he has just one submission in his 49-fight career, which happened all the way back in January 2000 when he choked out Bob Schrijber under the Pride banner. 

Sonnen, a two-time All-American wrestler at the University of Oregon, is known for his wrestling and has shown an improved submission game since he was tapped out by Anderson Silva at UFC 117 in August 2010. 

Although he appears to be done with his MMA career for good, Sonnen will still headline Metamoris 4 against multiple-time jiu-jitsu world champion Andre Galvao

In the unlikely event that Sonnen decides to return to the UFC down the line, would a fight with Wanderlei Silva still pique the interests of fight fans?

John Heinis is a featured columnist for Bleacher Report. He is also the MMA editor for eDraft.com.

view original article >>

Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

Chael Sonnen Takes UFC Fight Night 81: Dillashaw vs. Cruz Beyond the Fight (Audio)

  • 26 days ago
  • 75 views

Retired UFC fighter Chael Sonnen takes UFC Fight Night 81: Dillashaw vs. Cruz Beyond the Fight in this head-to-toe breakdown. read news >>

NSAC meets Tuesday, Wanderlei Silva and Nick Diaz on agenda

  • 26 days ago
  • 41 views

The Nevada State Athletic Commission will meet next week, and one of their most controversial decisions in recent memory could be altered.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Nevada Commission Refuses to Re-Hear Wanderlei Silva’s Case

  • 24 days ago
  • 11 views

Wanderlei Silva's case was supposed to go before the Nevada Athletic Commission on Tuesday for a court-ordered re-hearing, but was delayed again. read news >>

Wanderlei Silva re-hearing delayed again, fighter's legal rep promised February date

  • 24 days ago
  • 1 views

After yet another delay to a re-hearing on Wanderlei Silva’s lifetime ban, his legal rep pleaded with the Nevada State Athletic Commission to make a decision and was promised one next month. Filed un read news >>

Attorney: Following public apology, Wanderlei Silva released from UFC contract

  • 22 days ago
  • 43 views

The UFC on Wednesday released Wanderlei Silva from his contract with the industry-leader, freeing him to fight for other promoters, the fighter’s longtime attorney today told MMAjunkie.Filed under: F read news >>

Wanderlei Silva Reportedly Released from UFC Contract: Latest Details, Reaction

  • 22 days ago
  • 6 views

Steven Marrocco of MMAjunkie.com reported Thursday the UFC released Wanderlei Silva from his contract with the company.The news coincides with Silva recanting his previous claim this past summer that read news >>

Wanderlei Silva Retracts UFC Fight-Fixing Statements, Reportedly Released from Contract

  • 22 days ago
  • 3 views

While Wanderlei Silva awaits resolution over his lifetime ban handed down by the Nevada Athletic Commission, it appears that he is close to being free of the UFC. read news >>

Wanderlei Silva Free of UFC, but Battle with NSAC Still Looms Large

  • 22 days ago
  • 11 views

The late-career tale of Wanderlei Silva took another interesting twist on Thursday. To recap: Silva was dinged by the Nevada State Athletic Commission for running from a drug test in 2014. He was the read news >>

Chael Sonnen Beyond the Fight: Nick Diaz’s Reduced Suspension

  • 20 days ago
  • 18 views

In this weeks episode of Beyond the Fight Chael Sonnen discusses the reduction of Nick Diaz's suspension and Anderson Silva's failed test. read news >>

Chael Sonnen Beyond the Fight: Weighing in on Rafael dos Anjos vs. Conor McGregor

  • 15 days ago
  • 73 views

In this week's episode of Beyond the Fight, Chael Sonnen recaps UFC Boston, and gives his thoughts on Johnson vs. Bader and the next UFC lightweight championship. read news >>