Wanderlei Silva 478x270On Wednesday, a fight between Chael Sonnen and Wanderlei Silva appeared to hinge solely on the former Pride FC champion’s health. Less than 24 hours later, however, the bout has reportedly gone off the rails.

Sonnen continued his pleas for the fight with Silva on Wednesday’s Fox Sports Live. UFC president Dana White, an in-studio guest on the show, said he was ready to make the fight and designate it the UFC 167: St-Pierre vs. Hendricks co-main event, as long as Silva was healthy.

Silva’s health doesn’t appear to be a factor, but what he wants for compensation seems to have killed any hopes for the bout.

“(Silva) said he won’t fight (Sonnen) unless he gets PPV (points), so I guess he’s gonna retire,” White wrote via text message to MMAFighting.com on Thursday, effectively saying the fight was not going to happen.

Pay-per-view points are a percentage of the revenue that the promotion receives from pay-per-view purchases of the event.

Vitor Belfort and Lyoto Machida could have been other options for Sonnen, but Belfort has already agreed to a rematch with Dan Henderson and Machida has signed on to fight Tim Kennedy.

So where does that leave Sonnen, who has indicated he wants to return to middleweight?

“We will figure it out,” said White.

For now, however, Sonnen’s future doesn’t appear to include the Axe Murderer.

Silva did not respond to multiple requests for comment.

Be sure to Like MMAWeekly.com on Facebook and Follow @MMAWeeklycom on Twitter.

view original article >>

Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

Dana White Says Conor McGregor Must Defend or Vacate the Featherweight Title

  • 9 days ago
  • 7 views

Dana White appeared on both SportsCenter and the UFC post-fight show on Fox Sports 1 after the conclusion of UFC 202 to speak about the main event between Conor McGregor and Nate Diaz. White did not read news >>

Dana White Reacts to UFC 202 Finishes and Diaz-McGregor Main Event (Video)

  • 9 days ago
  • 190 views

UFC president Dana White appeared on the Post Show on FS1 following Saturday's UFC 202: Diaz vs. McGregor 2 pay-per-view event in Las Vegas. read news >>

Dana White Says it Looks Like Jon Jones Took ‘Something Else,’ Could Be Good News

  • 13 days ago
  • 107 views

Dana White on Tuesday appeared to back Jon Jones' recent statement that he could be back really soon. read news >>

Dana White’s State of the Promotion: UFC 202 Edition (Video)

  • 13 days ago
  • 34 views

Dana White joined The Herd on Tuesday to chat with Nick Wright. Hear his thoughts on everything UFC 202, UFC's expansion, the state of pro boxing, and more. read news >>

Dana White: Conor McGregor Will Defend Featherweight Title or He’ll Give It Up

  • 11 days ago
  • 40 views

Conor McGregor may be undecided about what's next for him after rematching Nate Diaz at UFC 202, but company president Dana White is not. read news >>

Dana White: Conor McGregor and Nate Diaz Will Be Punished for Bottle-Throwing Incident

  • 11 days ago
  • 183 views

UFC president Dana White expects the Nevada Athletic Commission to be heavy handed when it punishes Conor McGregor and Nate Diaz. read news >>

Dana White Comments on Conor McGregor, Nate Diaz UFC 202 Press Conference

  • 11 days ago
  • 42 views

Nate Diaz and Conor McGregor may have done a good job adding pay-per-view buys to their UFC 202 main event Saturday with a chaotic press conference earlier in the week, but the two fighters could be read news >>

Trips to NY, Brazil, Mexico City, Toronto highlight remainder of 2016 UFC schedule

  • 11 days ago
  • 0 views

UFC President Dana White informed fans and media of a stacked schedule of 11 shows that will close out 2016 in locales around the globe, including a second trip to New York, Brazil, Toronto, Manchest read news >>

Conor McGregor Video: S**t is About to Hit the Fan (UFC 202)

  • 9 days ago
  • 254 views

While Dana White has said that Conor McGregor will have to defend the UFC featherweight championship next, McGregor doesn't necessarily agree. read news >>

McGregor vs. Diaz 3: Dana White Comments on Potential Rematch in TMZ Interview

  • 8 days ago
  • 98 views

UFC President Dana White has said there will be no trilogy of fights between Conor McGregor and Nate Diaz after noting he's "moving on." Both fighters expressed an interest in a third match after McG read news >>