Wanderlei Silva Predicts a Knockout Win Over Brian Stann at UFC on Fuel TV 8

Wanderlei-Silva-Cung-Le-9810-UFC-139-1Wanderlei Silva (48-12) has accumulated 24 knockouts in his legendary mixed martial arts career and predicts that number 25 will come this weekend against Brian Stann in the main event of UFC on Fuel TV 8.

“I’m ready for the fight. I’ve trained well to finish the job, and I promise to knock him out in the third round,” said Silva during the event’s pre-fight press conference.

The former Pride champion returns to Japan for the first time since 2006 to compete in front of a fan base that adores him; in the venue, Saitama Super Arena in Tokyo, Japan, where he became an icon.

“It means a lot to me.  I want to say thanks to Dana (White) and the UFC for giving me the opportunity to return here to Japan.  I’m so proud to be back fighting here, and at the same time I had the best moments of my career and I know on Sunday we’re going to put on a great show for the fans,” said Silva.

Silva made his middleweight debut at UFC 110 in February 2010.  He fought twice more in the 185-pound division, but his last fight was at a catchweight of 190 pounds against Rich Franklin.  The bout with Stann marks Silva’s return to the light heavyweight division.

Stann (12-5), a former WEC light heavyweight titleholder, has competed as a middleweight for the past three years, but accepted the fight with Silva at 205.  The fight is taking place at 205 pounds because making weight for the middleweight division was difficult for Silva.

“It’s too hard.  My opponent fights at 185.  We accepted to fight at 205 and it’s better now because the diet is hard,” explained Silva.

When asked if the rest of his career will be in the light heavyweight division, Silva was undecided. “I don’t know, maybe.”

Silva has gone 3-5 inside the Octagon and is coming off a decision loss to Franklin.  He’s lost four of his last six fights, but isn’t considering retirement.

“Not yet,” he said.

Be sure to Like MMAWeekly.com on Facebook and Follow @MMAWeeklycom on Twitter.

From Around the Web

Video: UFC analysts Brian Stann and Dominick Cruz preview UFC Fight Night 59 "McGregor vs. Siver" on FOX Sports 1, which pops off later this month (Jan. 18, 2015) inside TD Garden in Boston, Massachu read news >>

UFC light heavyweight kingpin Jon Jones battled Daniel Cormier for five rounds on Saturday night, but would skip vacations to help fellow UFC star Anderson Silva on his training camp for UFC 183. Sil read news >>

Former UFC fighter Brian Stann believes Jon Jones will be able to revamp his image following positive drug test. Brian Stann, a former teammate of UFC light-heavyweight champion Jon Jones, took to na read news >>

"I think obviously this is going to hurt his image and a lot of the other things he has going on outside of the Octagon for his brand, but this is an opportunity for him to do what's best for him and read news >>

Wanderlei Silva on Friday voiced his support for UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones, while simultaneously blasting the Nevada Athletic Commission. read news >>

UFC featherweight contender Conor McGregor comments on his UFC Fight Night 59 win over Dennis Siver and predicts that he'll knock out champion Jose Aldo when they fight. read news >>

UFC light heavyweight Wanderlei Silva has sued the Nevada State Athletic Commission (NSAC) and is claiming the government regulatory body exceeded their authority when they issued a lifetime ban in S read news >>

Self-described retired UFC light heavyweight and PRIDE legend Wanderlei Silva has sued the Nevada State Athletic Commission, claiming that they overstepped their boundaries by handing him a lifetime read news >>

Wanderlei Silva recently declared war on the "sons of bitches" at the Nevada State Athletic Commission (NSAC), and it appears the first battle will take place inside a District courtroom. The former read news >>