Wanderlei-Silva-Cung-Le-9810-UFC-139-1Wanderlei Silva (48-12) has accumulated 24 knockouts in his legendary mixed martial arts career and predicts that number 25 will come this weekend against Brian Stann in the main event of UFC on Fuel TV 8.

“I’m ready for the fight. I’ve trained well to finish the job, and I promise to knock him out in the third round,” said Silva during the event’s pre-fight press conference.

The former Pride champion returns to Japan for the first time since 2006 to compete in front of a fan base that adores him; in the venue, Saitama Super Arena in Tokyo, Japan, where he became an icon.

“It means a lot to me.  I want to say thanks to Dana (White) and the UFC for giving me the opportunity to return here to Japan.  I’m so proud to be back fighting here, and at the same time I had the best moments of my career and I know on Sunday we’re going to put on a great show for the fans,” said Silva.

Silva made his middleweight debut at UFC 110 in February 2010.  He fought twice more in the 185-pound division, but his last fight was at a catchweight of 190 pounds against Rich Franklin.  The bout with Stann marks Silva’s return to the light heavyweight division.

Stann (12-5), a former WEC light heavyweight titleholder, has competed as a middleweight for the past three years, but accepted the fight with Silva at 205.  The fight is taking place at 205 pounds because making weight for the middleweight division was difficult for Silva.

“It’s too hard.  My opponent fights at 185.  We accepted to fight at 205 and it’s better now because the diet is hard,” explained Silva.

When asked if the rest of his career will be in the light heavyweight division, Silva was undecided. “I don’t know, maybe.”

Silva has gone 3-5 inside the Octagon and is coming off a decision loss to Franklin.  He’s lost four of his last six fights, but isn’t considering retirement.

“Not yet,” he said.

Be sure to Like MMAWeekly.com on Facebook and Follow @MMAWeeklycom on Twitter.

Conor McGregor: 'I'm Going to Toy with Eddie Alvarez' | MMAWeekly.com

Conor McGregor predicts that he'll toy with Eddie Alvarez in their UFC 205 title fight and that the lightweight champion will never fight again afterwards. read news >>

Following Presidential Election, Brian Stann Considering Political Run | MMAWeekly.com

He's an American hero, fighter and color commentator. Now, he wants to be an American politician. read news >>

Cortney Casey fine with being the underdog once more, predicts a 'great night' against Gadelha

SAO PAULO – Cortney Casey is all about putting on exciting fights, and that's what she's looking to do against onetime title challenger Claudia Gadelha on Saturday. As for being the underdog, she's n read news >>

Luke Rockhold Predicts Yoel Romero Will Take Michael Bisping's Belt | MMAWeekly.com

UFC middleweight champion Michael Bisping is expected to defend against Yoel Romero in his next fight. Former champ Luke Rockhold thinks he'll lose the belt. read news >>

Sidelined by suspension, Lyoto Machida predicts 'Jacare' will hold UFC belt upon return

Lyoto Machida has been out of the fray in a hectic UFC middleweight division for more than a year. It’s also going to be close to another year before he’s able to jump back in it. He expects a new ch read news >>

Mirko 'Cro Cop' blasts 'scared homie' Wanderlei Silva following Rizin FF 3 withdrawal

Mirko Filipovic has a few choice words for fellow vet Wanderlei Silva.Filed under: News read news >>

Wanderlei Silva Withdraws from Rizin Fight, but Still Battling Mirko Cro Cop | MMAWeekly.com

• a day ago

Wanderlei Silva pulled out of his Rizin FF fight with Mirko Cro Cop, but the battle isn't over. read news >>

The Frustrations of a Former Teenage Wanderlei Silva Fanboy | FIGHTLAND

• 22 hours ago

Photo by Josh Hedges/Zuffa LLC Like many, my introduction to the world’s most fascinating sport, mixed martial arts, was through the earliest iteration of the UFC’s reality show, The Ultimate Fighter read news >>