angel-deanda.jpgAngel DeAnda says he’s no setup for Tyrone Spong at World Series of Fighting 4.

“This fight is going to be way different than the last guy, and (Spong is) going to know that in 10 seconds,” DeAnda told Radio ( “That last guy was just a duck, man.”

WSOF 4 takes place Saturday at Citizens Business Bank Arena in Ontario, Calif. The event’s main card, including DeAnda (11-2) vs. Spong (1-0) in the main event, airs live on NBC Sports Network. Prelims stream on

Spong, a decorated kickboxer in K-1, transitioned to MMA this past fall at World Series of Fighting’s inaugural event and obliterated his first opponent, Travis Bartlett, who appeared from the outset to be vastly outmatched.

Bartlett was a pedestrian 5-3 when he faced Spong. DeAnda is 11-2, though he shares a characteristic with Spong’s previous opponent in that several of his wins are against opponents with losing records.

Most MMA observers believe DeAnda is nothing more than a building block for Spong’s MMA career, which has intertwined with kickboxing bouts overseas. But DeAnda is OK with that.

“That’s their opinion,” he said. “I’m confident in my standup, and what better way to prove my standup than knocking out a great fighter.”

DeAnda, who lives in Modesto, Calif., said he’s not only capable of ending the fight with his fists, but on the ground.

“My grappling is pretty legit, but I’m a big guy, and it’s kind of harder for big guys to move on the ground,” he said.

Currently a purple belt in jiu-jitsu, DeAnda trains at Last Stand Fight Team with UFC bantamweight standout Michael McDonald.

“If (Spong) can’t handle my power, I see it going down to the ground, and me submitting him,” he said. “Or me knocking him out – or I see him knocking me out. There’s all kinds of things going through my mind.”

And on Saturday, he’ll see if any of the scenarios he’s envisioned come to pass.

For more on WSOF 4, stay tuned to the MMA Rumors section of the site. Radio broadcasts Monday-Friday at noon ET (9 a.m. PT) live from Mandalay Bay Resort & Casino’s Race & Sports Book. The show is hosted by “Gorgeous” George Garcia, lead staff reporter John Morgan and producer Brian “Goze” Garcia. For more information or to download past episodes, go to

MMAjunkie Radio (1 p.m. ET): WSOF's Ray Sefo and Ali Abdelaziz (in studio), Karyn Bryant

MMAjunkie Radio kicks off at 1 p.m. ET (10 a.m. PT) with guests Ray Sefo, Ali Abdelaziz and Karyn Bryant.Filed under: MMAjunkie Radio, News, UFC, WSOF read news >>

Next week's 'WSOF 25: 8-Man Lightweight Tournament' lineup set with 12 bouts

The lineup is set for next week’s “WSOF 25: 8-Man Lightweight Tournament” event, which features a mix of tourney and non-tourney bouts.Filed under: News, WSOF read news >>

UFC Fight Night 77’s Gilbert Burns: ‘I can submit anyone in the top 10 of my weight class’

In jiu-jitsu math, UFC lightweight Gilbert Burns is one up on ex-champ Benson Henderson.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Featherweights Bekbulat Magomedov and Alexandre Bezerra sign with WSOF

WSOF has added depth to its featherweight roster by signing talented 145-pound fighters Bekbulat Magomedov and Alexandre Bezerra.Filed under: News, WSOF read news >>

WSOF's Jake Shields upset NSAC ignored Rousimar Palhares' eye-gouges

After his controversial WSOF 22 loss to Rousimar Palhares, Jake Shields’ biggest concern was not that Palhares held on to his fight-winning kimura for too long, but rather that he felt he was repeate read news >>

Cosmo Alexandre signs exclusive deal with WSOF

Kickboxing star and Bellator veteran Cosmo Alexandre has signed an exclusive multi-fight deal with WSOF, officials recently announced.Filed under: News, WSOF read news >>

WSOF sets rules for eight-man tourney at WSOF 25

The winner of an upcoming eight-man lightweight tournament could fight as many as 7 five-minute rounds, according to rules set by the WSOF in advance of the competition, which takes place at WSOF 25 read news >>

WSOF's Ali Abdelaziz on Rousimar Palhares suspension: 'It's a sad day for me personally'

WSOF matchmaker Ali Abdelaziz spoke to MMAjunkie immediately after Rousimar Palhares was suspended for two years by the NSAC for holding a submission too long against Jake Shields at WSOF 22.Filed un read news >>

John Lineker to Bryan Caraway: ‘I need another name that I can knock out’

UFC bantamweight John Lineker is game to fight Bryan Caraway if the UFC makes it so.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Rousimar Palhares suspended two years, fined 40k for holding WSOF 22 submission

The Nevada State Athletic Commission today voted unanimously to suspend ex-WSOF welterweight champion Rousimar Palhares two years and issue a $40,000 fine – in addition to court costs – for holding a read news >>