Steve Carl (19-3) sees a big gap between himself and his upcoming opponent, Tyson Steele (10-1), if his experience in the sport is any indication.

“When I had his record, my mental ability wasn’t 10 percent of what it is now,” Carl told MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio). “If his mental (ability) is more built up, hey, more power to him. But I know when I was in his situation, I wasn’t ready to fight somebody like me.”

The World Series of Fighting welterweights meet in the co-main event of WSOF 3, which takes place tonight at Hard Rock Hotel & Casino in Las Vegas. The event’s main card airs live on NBC Sports Network (11 p.m. ET) following prelims on MMAjunkie.com (8:30 p.m. ET).

Carl, who’s won his past five bouts, has double the number of pro fights as Steele. Over eight years in the sport, he said he’s learned some valuable lessons about what it takes to compete. He also knows how to spot guys who don’t have it.

“If a guy comes off trying to act tough or not genuine, or if he’s trying to intimidate you in any way, I know, they, this guy is terrified,” he said. “Because why do you have to come off as a pr–k like that? You can just be a nice guy to everybody.”

So far, he hasn’t gotten that vibe from Steele, who’s won his past four and has only one setback in his pro career. But like him, Steele doesn’t come from a well-known MMA camp, and earlier in his career, he felt overwhelmed fighting on big promotional platforms.

A submission loss to Dan Hornbuckle under the Bellator banner sticks out to Carl, who said he spent the night prior to the event reading predictions that he was going to get dominated.

“I went in there already losing the fight before I got in the cage,” he said. “I was overwhelmed by all the media, and I just went in there thinking, ‘I can’t win this. I’m just a small-town guy from Iowa.’ During the fight, I was reading. I wasn’t reacting like I should.”

Through that experience, Carl said he discovered he was short-changing himself before he ever stepped in the cage.

“I went around to a lot of bigger camps, and that was part of my realization was training with those guys and knowing that I can compete with them,” he said. “I’m not saying I’m going to dominate everybody, but I’m not going to get dominated.”

Now, Carl uses positive pressure to keep himself from the fear that he might suffer a career slide.

“Like I know I want to keep doing this, and I don’t want to take a step back,” he said.

Carl, of course, can’t know whether Steele has learned these lessons in a shorter timeframe. It could be that he trains with champions, doesn’t let the moment overwhelm him, and uses that sole loss to remind him that he never wants to move backward in his career. That’s what he’ll find out on tonight.

With WSOF welterweights Jon Fitch and Josh Burkman headlining WSOF 3 to decide the division’s No. 1 contender, it’s possible that the winner of Carl’s fight will be in line to fight for the title.

That means the small-town guy from Iowa could be thrust into the spotlight pretty soon. But this time, he said he’s ready for it.

For the latest on WSOF 3, stay tuned to the MMA Rumors section of the site.

MMAjunkie.com Radio broadcasts Monday-Friday at noon ET (9 a.m. PT) live from Mandalay Bay Resort & Casino’s Race & Sports Book. The show is hosted by “Gorgeous” George Garcia, MMAjunkie.com lead staff reporter John Morgan and producer Brian “Goze” Garcia. For more information or to download past episodes, go to www.mmajunkie.com/radio.

WSOF 22 Fighter Salaries: Marlon Moraes Tops the Payroll

Marlon Moraes defended his World Series of Fighting bantamweight title on Saturday and was the top earner from the WSOF 22 fight card. read news >>

WSOF 22 salaries: Marlon Moraes cashes $140,000 payday for WSOF title defense

Marlon Moraes picked up a nice chunk of change for the latest defense of his World Series of Fighting title. Moraes, the promotion's only ever bantamweight champion, inked a new deal with WSOF in Jun read news >>

Khabib requests UFC fight with Nate Diaz following brawl at WSOF 22

Following the brawl that took place at WSOF 22, Khabib Nurmagomedov revealed that he has requested that the UFC give him Nate Diaz in December. While World Series of Fighting put on an entertaining e read news >>

Monday Morning Analyst: Ronda Rousey, UFC 190, WSOF 22 and more

On this week's episode, we take a look at two events: UFC 190 and WSOF 22. We'll examine Ronda Rousey's win over Bethe Correia, Claudia Gadelha's defeat of Jessica Aguilar and more. We'll also look a read news >>

Video: Nate Diaz celebrates open-hand bitch slap delivered to Khabib Nurmamedov at WSOF 22

"Hey, fuck that (expletive) Khabib. He a bitch, he got slapped. Bam! Open hand slap. Bam! Bitch-ass (expletive) goof ... nothin.'" Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) lightweight Nate Diaz, as well read news >>

Diaz records video message for Khabib: 'He a b****, he got slapped'

Following his scuffle with Khabib Nurmagomedov at WSOF 22, Nate Diaz gave his thoughts on the brawl in a quick video message. It looks like there won't be any carefully worded apologies coming down t read news >>

VIDEO: Did Rousimar Palhares Do Jake Shields Dirty? Judge for Yourself

Did WSOF champ Rousimar Palhares do Jake Shields dirty on Saturday night? Check out the fight footage for yourself. read news >>

Khabib Nurmagomedov Details Melee with Nick Diaz's Crew at WSOF 22

Words like “barn-burner” and “slobber-knocker” could be used to describe World Series of Fighting 22, and we’re not talking about the action inside the cage. Mayhem and panic spilled onto the floor a read news >>

Video: Watch 'dirty' submission that may get Rousimar Palhares stripped of WSOF title, suspended from MMA

If you know Rousimar Palhares, then you probably know the story by now. Two years ago "Toquinho" put Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) welterweight Mike Pierce in a viciously tight heel hook for a read news >>

Abdelaziz: UFC should book Diaz vs. Nurmagomedov after WSOF 22 brawl

WSOF 22 may well be a card that lives on in the minds of MMA fans more for a set of controversies than a card which saw a pair of successful title defenses.Filed under: Featured Videos, News, UFC, Vi read news >>