WSOF 3's Steve Carl: Acting tough means you're probably terrified

• submit to reddit

Steve Carl (19-3) sees a big gap between himself and his upcoming opponent, Tyson Steele (10-1), if his experience in the sport is any indication.

“When I had his record, my mental ability wasn’t 10 percent of what it is now,” Carl told MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio). “If his mental (ability) is more built up, hey, more power to him. But I know when I was in his situation, I wasn’t ready to fight somebody like me.”

The World Series of Fighting welterweights meet in the co-main event of WSOF 3, which takes place tonight at Hard Rock Hotel & Casino in Las Vegas. The event’s main card airs live on NBC Sports Network (11 p.m. ET) following prelims on MMAjunkie.com (8:30 p.m. ET).

Carl, who’s won his past five bouts, has double the number of pro fights as Steele. Over eight years in the sport, he said he’s learned some valuable lessons about what it takes to compete. He also knows how to spot guys who don’t have it.

“If a guy comes off trying to act tough or not genuine, or if he’s trying to intimidate you in any way, I know, they, this guy is terrified,” he said. “Because why do you have to come off as a pr–k like that? You can just be a nice guy to everybody.”

So far, he hasn’t gotten that vibe from Steele, who’s won his past four and has only one setback in his pro career. But like him, Steele doesn’t come from a well-known MMA camp, and earlier in his career, he felt overwhelmed fighting on big promotional platforms.

A submission loss to Dan Hornbuckle under the Bellator banner sticks out to Carl, who said he spent the night prior to the event reading predictions that he was going to get dominated.

“I went in there already losing the fight before I got in the cage,” he said. “I was overwhelmed by all the media, and I just went in there thinking, ‘I can’t win this. I’m just a small-town guy from Iowa.’ During the fight, I was reading. I wasn’t reacting like I should.”

Through that experience, Carl said he discovered he was short-changing himself before he ever stepped in the cage.

“I went around to a lot of bigger camps, and that was part of my realization was training with those guys and knowing that I can compete with them,” he said. “I’m not saying I’m going to dominate everybody, but I’m not going to get dominated.”

Now, Carl uses positive pressure to keep himself from the fear that he might suffer a career slide.

“Like I know I want to keep doing this, and I don’t want to take a step back,” he said.

Carl, of course, can’t know whether Steele has learned these lessons in a shorter timeframe. It could be that he trains with champions, doesn’t let the moment overwhelm him, and uses that sole loss to remind him that he never wants to move backward in his career. That’s what he’ll find out on tonight.

With WSOF welterweights Jon Fitch and Josh Burkman headlining WSOF 3 to decide the division’s No. 1 contender, it’s possible that the winner of Carl’s fight will be in line to fight for the title.

That means the small-town guy from Iowa could be thrust into the spotlight pretty soon. But this time, he said he’s ready for it.

For the latest on WSOF 3, stay tuned to the MMA Rumors section of the site.

MMAjunkie.com Radio broadcasts Monday-Friday at noon ET (9 a.m. PT) live from Mandalay Bay Resort & Casino’s Race & Sports Book. The show is hosted by “Gorgeous” George Garcia, MMAjunkie.com lead staff reporter John Morgan and producer Brian “Goze” Garcia. For more information or to download past episodes, go to www.mmajunkie.com/radio.

Get the scoop on the world’s top strawweight, the upcoming fight for the world’s top bantamweight and much more in the latest Women’s MMA Report.Filed under: News, UFC, WSOF more

Melvin Guillard and Gesias “JZ” Cavalcante will have a lightweight title shot on the line when they meet at WSOF 11 on Saturday. Hear what they have to say about the big opportunity – and fighting each other as former teammates.Filed under: Featured Videos, (...) more

The Mixed Martial Arts Hour is back in your life on Monday. Below is a rundown of who will be stopping by: 1:00 p.m. ET -- Mike Dolce will talk about not working with Kelvin Gastelum for his recent fight, as well as Ronda Rousey and B.J. Penn's preparation for this weekend. 1:20 p.m. -- Manny Gamburyan will talk about why he wants to switch weight classes and his teammate Ronda Rousey's upcoming title defense at UFC 175. 1:40 p.m. -- 'Bigfoot' Silva will talk about his ongoing feud with Josh Bar more

Stacking the main card with three title fights was definitely worth it in the end for Ray Sefo and the gang ... Business is about to pick up. World Series of Fighting (WSOF) drew its biggest television number yet in the promotion's short history with WSOF 10: "Branch vs. Taylor" last Saturday night (June 21, 2014). Complete with three title fights on the main card, the NBC Sports broadcast shattered previous records held by events from the past, bringing in 365,000 viewers, according to MMA Figh more

What does a victory mean for James Te Huna, Nate Marquardt, Cub Swanson and Jeremy Stephens this upcoming weekend in their respective fights taking place in New Zealand and Texas? We explore the consequences below, ahead of their tussles at UFC Fight Night 43 and Fight Night 44, respectively. Get ready for another double-header weekend full of Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) battles in two different continents. Don't act so thrilled. After an exhaustive Saturday in May saw UFC Fight Night 4 more

The World Series of Fighting beat its previous record television audience record by 38 percent on Saturday night when 365,000 watched a show with three title fights on NBC Sports Network. Two weeks away from its highest profile event, the World Series of Fighting destroyed its previous television viewing record with Saturday night's show with three title matches.The WSOF 10 show did 365,000 viewers on NBC Sports Network in competition with boxing on Showtime and Glory on Spike. The company's pre more

While David Branch didn’t waste much time in dispatching Jesse Taylor for the inaugural WSOF middleweight title, he would like to pause his career to heal from his preparation. Filed under: MMAjunkie Radio, News, WSOF more

Take a look at the fighter salaries from the recent World Series of Fighting 10 card in Las Vegas. The Nevada State Athletic Commission has released the salary payouts for last weekend's World Series of Fighting 10 card in the Hard Rock in Vegas. With three championship bouts on the card, you'd expect some bigger paydays than usual that was the case to a degree. Three fighters on the card topped $30,000, with the lowest paying being $1,000. David Branch led the way with 36k, with Jessica Aguilar more

But just one from the main card... World Series of Fighting (WSOF) 10: "Branch vs Taylor" took place last Saturday night (June 21, 2014) from inside Hard Rock Hotel & Casino in Las Vegas, Nevada, and the main card saw two new champions crowned, as David Branch became the promotion's first middleweight champion, while Rick Glenn upset Georgi Karakhanyan for the featherweight strap. Of the lot, only Karakhanyan was issued a mandatory medical suspension. That's according to Nevada State Athletic Co more