WSOF 2's Andrei Arlovski explains why training with Freddie Roach was a mistake

• submit to reddit

Ex-UFC champ Mauricio “Shogun” Rua is the latest MMA fighter to walk into Freddie Roach’s Wild Card gym to learn the sweet science.

According to Roach, the work already is paying dividends: Rua now hits with the power expected of a 205-pound fighter, he told Gracie Mag.

Current welterweight kingpin Georges St-Pierre and Tito Ortiz are but a few who’ve sung the famed boxing trainer’s praises. But another champ, Andrei Arlovski, doesn’t plan on going back.

“I’m going to stick with Greg Jackson and other trainers from Greg Jackson’s gym if I’m going to keep on fighting,” Arlovski (19-9), who meets Anthony Johnson (14-4) at World Series of Fighting 2, told MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio).

Arlovski, whose fight headlines Saturday’s event at Revel Atlantic City in New Jersey (main-card fights air on NBC Sports Network), incorporated Roach into a training camp before a meeting with Fedor Emelianenko in 2009 under the now-defunct Affliction banner. In hopes of augmenting his striking skills, he and his longtime coaches flew to Los Angeles and worked alongside pro boxers.

At the time, Arlovski contemplated a dual career in the cage and square circle. At the time he held the UFC belt, he was considered one of the better strikers in the heavyweight division before dual losses to Tim Sylvia took his belt and forced him to back to the drawing board.

The fight with Emelianenko ended in disaster. Arlovski’s early gains against the Russian were erased with a flying knee that saw him plucked out of the sky with a right hand, which knocked him out cold in the first round.

Four years later, Arlovski said the trip to California ended up doing more harm than good.

“I paid too much attention to boxing,” he said. “I wanted to try professional boxing. That’s why I didn’t focus on wrestling and jiu-jitsu, and it hurt me.”

The loss to Emelianenko was the first setback of a four-fight skid that sapped his MMA career. A subsequent loss to Brett Rogers, which scratched a professional boxing debut under the Golden Boy Promotions banner, prompted him to move to Jackson’s MMA in late 2009.

Arlovski is now 4-0 with one no-contest since his release from Strikeforce, which came following his fourth straight loss. He works alongside UFC light-heavyweight champ Jon Jones and UFC heavyweight Travis Browne, in addition to a bevy of other top-tier fighters and wrestlers. Boxing plays no greater part than grappling during his training sessions.

“This is a camp that’s much, much better than before,” Arlovski said. “(There are) a lot of sparring partners, so I’m more than happy.

“It’s good to have light heavyweights and heavyweights because they’re not going to be too relaxed in the sparring or the wrestling sessions. You have to be ready all the time to do something or defend something. The last two weeks have been going very, very good for me because I spar a lot with Travis Browne and Jon Jones, and it definitely helped me a lot for my fight.”

Arlovski was surprised at Johnson’s size at a pre-event press conference for the upcoming event. The UFC vet, who once fought at welterweight, was 245 pounds of muscle by his estimation.

A big target to knock down, indeed.

“I want to show some of my skills,” Arlovski said.

“The Pitbull” still has power in his hands, of course. He’s not all sour on his time with Roach. But he knows MMA is about more than just a good punch.

“Definitely I learned from Freddie, and he taught me some cool stuff,” Arlovski said. “But at the same time, I was hurting my momentum in my MMA technique, and I had some problems with my other coaches. It was a good experience, but I’m not going to come back again to a boxing gym.”

For more on WSOF 2, stay tuned to the MMA Rumors section of the site.

MMAjunkie.com Radio broadcasts Monday-Friday at noon ET (9 a.m. PT) live from Mandalay Bay Resort & Casino’s Race & Sports Book. The show is hosted by “Gorgeous” George Garcia, MMAjunkie.com lead staff reporter John Morgan and producer Brian “Goze” Garcia. For more information or to download past episodes, go to www.mmajunkie.com/radio.

Saturday afternoon, Justin Gaethje retained his World Series of Fighting Lightweight Championship with a second-round TKO of one-armed phenom Nick Newell. It was a performance that continued to boost the stock of the WSOF star.
Gaethje pushed his record to 12-0 with 10 knockouts. He is 5-0 with five knockouts in WSOF, including finishes of Newell, UFC vet Dan Lauzon and Strikeforce vet JZ Cavalcante. That is the type of resume that makes Gaethje elite at lightweight.
He has shown to be an excell more

World Series of Fighting produced its 11th event on Saturday afternoon, and it aired live and free on network television.
The four-fight main card was on NBC for the first time, and the action was headlined by a lightweight title bout between Justin Gaethje and Nick Newell.
It was a successful card for the promotion and a quality primer for the upcoming night of MMA action for fans. It was a fun appetizer before UFC 175 kicked off. Let's have a quick recap of the event from Daytona. Melvin Guill more

Watch the World Series of Fighting 11: Gaethje vs. Newell weigh-ins streaming live on MMAWeekly.com, Friday, July 4, at 11 a.m. ET / 8 a.m. PT. more

Watch the World Series of Fighting 11: Gaethje vs. Newell fights streaming live on MMAWeekly.com on Saturday, July 5, beginning with the prelims at 2 p.m. ET/11 a.m. PT and the main card at 4 p.m. ET/1 p.m. PT from Daytona Beach, Fla. more

World Series of Fighting (WSOF) returns this weekend (Sat., July 5, 2014) with WSOF 11: “Gaethje vs. Newell,” which goes down from inside Ocean Center in Daytona Beach, Florida. The main card features a mouthwatering lightweight championship bout, as well as a few former Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) combatants searching for glory. Check out our main card preview and predictions below. You thought Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) was the only promotion busy on America's biggest weeken more

World Series of Fighting lightweight champion Justin Gaethje stepped off the scales weighing in at 154.8 pounds, looking rested and relaxed a day before he's set to face fellow undefeated fighter Nick Newell at World Series of Fighting 11: "Gaethje vs. Newell". more

A shot at the World Series of Fighting lightweight championship is on the line in Gesias Cavalcante vs. Melvin Guillard, but the Brazilian is not thinking about it heading into his WSOF 11 fight with the UFC veteran.
Cavalcante, a two-time K-1 Hero’s tournament winner, won’t let a possible shot at the gold change his focus at Saturday’s WSOF card in Daytona Beach, Florida.
"My motivation is the fight, not a title shot," Cavalcante told MMAFighting.com. "I see every fight as a title for me now. I more

World Series of Fighting president and founder, Ray Sefo discusses how the organization was born, deal with NBC, co-promotion and future.
Tonight, NBC will be host to its very first primetime television MMA card. The World Series of Fighting has come a long way in just a little over two years, and are realizing their vision for a bright future with their 11th card. The Independence Day weekend has historically been a big one in general for MMA, and this one promises to keep in that tradition.
If more

World Series of Fighting (WSOF) makes its NBC Network debut with a few afternoon beatdowns, including a lightweight title fight at WSOF 11: "Gaethje vs. Newell," which goes down TODAY (Sat., July 5, 2014) live from inside Ocean Center in Daytona Beach, Florida. Get complete, official results, LIVE updates and real-time coverage RIGHT HERE. World Series of Fighting (WSOF) returns with its most important show yet, including the promotion's biggest title fight to date at WSOF 11: "Gaethje vs. Newel more