Vladimir Matyushenko at UFC 103Just because UFC light heavyweight Vladdy Matyushenko is 42-years of age, doesn’t mean he’s feeling old as he gets ready for his upcoming fight at UFC on Fox 6.

For many athletes, 40 is the mark that ends a lot of careers in a huge number of sports, but Matyushenko doesn’t think about his age as much as he reacts to how his body is feeling.

Last year his body suffered injuries that made him miss all of 2012, but it had nothing to do with not recovering fast enough or age catching up to him. It was just a stark reminder that training smart as opposed to training hard is the way to go at this stage of the game.

“It’s been getting pretty tough and I have to watch what I do, I can’t just train as hard as I used to, balls off, and just do what I have to do to be smarter and not necessarily harder. Staying away from injuries is the most important thing right now. I’m happy I’m back,” Matyushenko told MMAWeekly.com.

It’s hard to ignore that with more than 30 fights on his resume, a successful wrestling career, and a gym to run in California, Matyushenko doesn’t have much left to prove inside the cage, but he’s still loving life everyday with training and getting ready for fights.

Until that passion is gone, don’t expect Vladdy Matyushenko to go anywhere.

“No, it’s gradually going towards (retirement) maybe but right now MMA is on a total, different level than it was before. So before when I was young and bold and whatever, I didn’t have that experience, I didn’t have those guys around me. Right now it’s a totally different feel, L.A. is totally full of great guys to learn from, and at 42 I’m still learning and that’s interesting to do,” said Matyushenko.

“That’s one of the main things that keeps pushing me forward just learning new things, and just the fun of it. As soon as you lose that it’s over. It’s a pretty hard hobby to have.”

Over his last four fights, Matyushenko has bounced back and forth between wins and losses, and he understands better than most that putting together a big streak in the UFC is difficult with the level of talent competing right now.

Matyushenko is always looking to improve so when he thinks he’s found a weakness, he trains it and trains it some more until he fixes whatever was wrong.

Now as he heads into his next bout at UFC on Fox 6 against former Ultimate Fighter winner Ryan Bader, he’s confident he’s put the right combination together to come away with a victory.

“Sometimes losses are going to happen, and sometimes injuries are going to happen. I have inner goals to achieve, I’ve been working on my striking a lot, because when I lost to (Alexander) Gustafsson last time, and he has a great advantage because of his reach, you could watch the video, I jab him, he jabs me, but those few inches did the job,” Matyushenko stated.

“With Bader, things are pretty even and hopefully it’s going to be a good fight, and I can utilize my skills I’ve been learning.”

UFC 207 pre-fight facts: Garbrandt looking for number two slot on bantamweight knockout list

The UFC’s year-end fight card is always one of its biggest. That trend continues as the promotion closes out 2016.Filed under: Featured, Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC 207: Nunes vs. Rousey Watch List, Who to Watch Out For (video) | MMAWeekly.com

UFC Senior Vice President of Talent Relations Sean Shelby sits down with Jon Anik to discuss who to look out for at UFC 207. read news >>

UFC 207 play-by-play and live results (7 p.m. ET)

LAS VEGAS – MMAjunkie is on scene and reporting live from Friday’s UFC 207 event, and you can join us for live play-by-play and official results beginning at 7 p.m. ET (4 p.m. PT).Filed under: News, read news >>

UFC 207 discussion thread

LAS VEGAS – MMAjunkie is on scene and reporting live from Friday’s UFC 207 event at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, which kicks off at 7 p.m. ET (4 p.m. PT). You can discuss the event here.Filed under: read news >>

Video: Watch UFC 207's post-event press conference on MMAjunkie

LAS VEGAS – UFC 207 takes place Friday at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas. As usual, you can watch a live video stream of the post-event news conference here on MMAjunkie at approximately 1:30 a.m. ET (1 read news >>

UFC 207 early weigh-in results and live video stream (noon ET)

LAS VEGAS – MMAjunkie is on scene and reporting live from Thursday’s early and official UFC 207 fighter weigh-ins, which kick off at noon ET (9 a.m. PT local time).Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Video: Watch Thursday's UFC 207 ceremonial weigh-ins live on MMAjunkie at 6 p.m. ET

LAS VEGAS – UFC 207 ceremonial fighter weigh-ins take place Friday, and you can catch a live video stream of the proceedings here on MMAjunkie at 6 p.m. ET (3 p.m. PT local time).Filed under: News, U read news >>

Reminder: 'Countdown to UFC 207: Nunes vs. Rousey' debuts today on FS1

As a reminder, the UFC’s traditional pre-event show returns today with the debut of “Countdown to UFC 207: Nunes vs. Rousey” on FS1.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Amanda Nunes: 'I'm Going to Make a Statement (UFC 207 Video) | MMAWeekly.com

Amanda Nunes is ready to make another statement next week. "The Lioness" defends her title for the first time against former champ Ronda Rousey at UFC 207. read news >>

With Velasquez fight off UFC 207, Fabricio Werdum wants to fast-forward to rematch with champ Miocic

With his rematch against a fellow former heavyweight champion off the table for UFC 207 on Friday, Fabricio Werdum has one pretty big idea of what his next fight could be, instead. Filed under: News, read news >>