cezar-ferreira-2.jpgAfter winning the inaugural season of “The Ultimate Fighter: Brazil” in 2012, Cezar Ferreira now counts blue-chip companies such as Gillette and Head & Shoulders among his sponsors. His first real backer, though, may surprise you.

Like many Brazilians, Ferreira (5-2 MMA, 1-0 UFC), who meets Thiago “Marreta” Santos (8-1 MMA, 0-0 UFC) on Saturday’s UFC 163 pay-per-view main card at Rio de Janeiro’s HSBC Arena, found his way to MMA through capoeira, a martial-arts hybrid that combines dance and acrobatics with music. He began his training when he was just 6 years old.

As a teen, Ferreira would often travel throughout the country and search out the best training possible, even though he didn’t have much money. He ultimately ended up at an academy in Belo Horizonte, a city where UFC fighter Vitor Belfort also trained.

It was at that academy, run by Master Mao Branca, where Ferreira first got his nickname, “Mutante” (Mutant). Because the facility was open to outsiders, an unknown German unknowingly gave Ferreira a nickname that’s stuck to this day.

“Master Mao Branca’s academy is called Capoeira Gerais,” he told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). “It’s one of the world’s best capoeira groups. When I was training there, tourists from other countries would always come to see us. Around that time, I was teaching a group of Germans. They saw a couple of my photos, one where I was thin and another where I was stronger. So they jokingly decided I was a mutant.

“After that, everyone called me ‘Mutante.’”

Soon after, Ferreira eventually crossed paths with Belfort and joined his academy.

“I met him through a friend,” Ferreira said. “We started training together at his academy. He gave me full access to his academy and to his trainers. He funded my membership. He helped me in various ways. This was nine years ago. We’ve been together ever since.”

These days, Ferreira and Belfort are now teammates at the Florida-based Blackzilians camp. Ferreira’s been a member for the past three months, so nearly his entire fight camp has taken place there.

In fact, while in Florida, he does nothing else outside of family commitments with his wife and 5-year-old daughter.

“I only train,” he said. “That’s my only focus.”

The array of top-level training partners, including Belfort and Anthony Johnson, gives Ferreira plenty of confidence heading into Saturday’s bout. In fact, Santos replaced original opponent Clint Hester just two weeks ago, but Ferreira said he’s not bothered at all by the late change.

That, at least partially, can be credited to his time on “TUF,” where Ferreira fought a variety of opponents on short notice. That also means he doesn’t have a problem fighting a fellow Brazilian in front of Brazilian fans.

“Since my camp is done, it doesn’t matter who I face,” he said. “Since I came through ‘TUF,’ I feel I’m well equipped for this. When I was in ‘TUF,’ I didn’t know my opponent one day before my first fight. And once in the house, my opponents were only announced three days before our fight. So if that happens to me going forward, it won’t bother me or change anything. I’m ready anytime.”

So come Saturday, it’s business as usual.

“It’s going to be a first-round knockout,” he said. “And if he wants, we can have a beer later.”

For more on UFC 163, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

Chris Weidman's son is praying for Vitor Belfort

After Chris Weidman thrashed Vitor Belfort at UFC 187, the middleweight champion reveals how his son CJ is praying for Belfort's wellbeing. After Chris Weidman's pummeling of Vitor Belfort at UFC 187 read news >>

Jacare Souza miffed he lost UFC title shot to Luke Rockhold, but will settle for beatdown of Vitor Belfort

When Ronaldo Souza was upended by Luke Rockhold back in Strikeforce, some mixed martial arts (MMA) fans thought it was a knock against "Jacare," probably because the American Kickboxing Academy (AKA) read news >>

‘Jacare’ Souza won’t wait for title shot, open to fight with Vitor Belfort

RIO DE JANEIRO -- Luke Rockhold will be the next to challenge UFC middleweight champion Chris Weidman, and Ronaldo Souza isn’t happy about it. The Brazilian middleweight, former Strikeforce middlewei read news >>

Max Holloway vs. Charles Oliveira to Main Event UFC's Saskatoon Debut

The UFC will make its inaugural trip to Saskatchewan, Canada, Saturday, August 23, according to a report from The Star Phoenix's Dave Deibert. The UFC Fight Night 74 event, which will be held at Sask read news >>

UFC 188 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media

Following Saturday’s UFC 188 event in Mexico City, several of the winning and losing fighters took to social media to react to the event or share a message with supporters. Check out those reactions. read news >>

Joe Silva's Shoes: What's next for UFC 188's winning fighters?

With UFC 188 in the rearview mirror, it’s time to look forward, put on a pair of Joe Silva and Sean Shelby’s shoes, and play UFC matchmaker for the winning fighters.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Vitor Belfort Still Chasing UFC Title After Brutal UFC 187 Loss to Chris Weidman

Vitor Belfort may have been brutally dispatched by Chris Weidman at UFC 187, but the Brazilian still feels like he has another title run left in him. Speaking with Brazil's Sensei SporTV (h/t MMA Fig read news >>

Neil Magny vs. Demian Maia set for UFC 190 in Brazil

Neil Magny will look to extend his impressive seven-fight octagon winning streak when he meets Brazilian jiu-jitsu ace Demian Maia at UFC 190.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Zorobabel Moreira determined to get back to winning ways at ONE: 'Dynasty of Champions'

Zorobabel Moreira was one of the most popular fighters to emerge during ONE Championship's early years (when it was known as ONE FC). He was featured on four of the first six cards and it was a major read news >>

Vitor Belfort: I'm still at the top of my division and can make another run at the UFC title

Former Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) middleweight No. 1 contender, Vitor Belfort, was blown away by Chris Weidman at the UFC 187 pay-per-view (PPV) event last month in Las Vegas, Nevada (video read news >>