cezar-ferreira-2.jpgAfter winning the inaugural season of “The Ultimate Fighter: Brazil” in 2012, Cezar Ferreira now counts blue-chip companies such as Gillette and Head & Shoulders among his sponsors. His first real backer, though, may surprise you.

Like many Brazilians, Ferreira (5-2 MMA, 1-0 UFC), who meets Thiago “Marreta” Santos (8-1 MMA, 0-0 UFC) on Saturday’s UFC 163 pay-per-view main card at Rio de Janeiro’s HSBC Arena, found his way to MMA through capoeira, a martial-arts hybrid that combines dance and acrobatics with music. He began his training when he was just 6 years old.

As a teen, Ferreira would often travel throughout the country and search out the best training possible, even though he didn’t have much money. He ultimately ended up at an academy in Belo Horizonte, a city where UFC fighter Vitor Belfort also trained.

It was at that academy, run by Master Mao Branca, where Ferreira first got his nickname, “Mutante” (Mutant). Because the facility was open to outsiders, an unknown German unknowingly gave Ferreira a nickname that’s stuck to this day.

“Master Mao Branca’s academy is called Capoeira Gerais,” he told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). “It’s one of the world’s best capoeira groups. When I was training there, tourists from other countries would always come to see us. Around that time, I was teaching a group of Germans. They saw a couple of my photos, one where I was thin and another where I was stronger. So they jokingly decided I was a mutant.

“After that, everyone called me ‘Mutante.’”

Soon after, Ferreira eventually crossed paths with Belfort and joined his academy.

“I met him through a friend,” Ferreira said. “We started training together at his academy. He gave me full access to his academy and to his trainers. He funded my membership. He helped me in various ways. This was nine years ago. We’ve been together ever since.”

These days, Ferreira and Belfort are now teammates at the Florida-based Blackzilians camp. Ferreira’s been a member for the past three months, so nearly his entire fight camp has taken place there.

In fact, while in Florida, he does nothing else outside of family commitments with his wife and 5-year-old daughter.

“I only train,” he said. “That’s my only focus.”

The array of top-level training partners, including Belfort and Anthony Johnson, gives Ferreira plenty of confidence heading into Saturday’s bout. In fact, Santos replaced original opponent Clint Hester just two weeks ago, but Ferreira said he’s not bothered at all by the late change.

That, at least partially, can be credited to his time on “TUF,” where Ferreira fought a variety of opponents on short notice. That also means he doesn’t have a problem fighting a fellow Brazilian in front of Brazilian fans.

“Since my camp is done, it doesn’t matter who I face,” he said. “Since I came through ‘TUF,’ I feel I’m well equipped for this. When I was in ‘TUF,’ I didn’t know my opponent one day before my first fight. And once in the house, my opponents were only announced three days before our fight. So if that happens to me going forward, it won’t bother me or change anything. I’m ready anytime.”

So come Saturday, it’s business as usual.

“It’s going to be a first-round knockout,” he said. “And if he wants, we can have a beer later.”

For more on UFC 163, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

Coach: Dan Henderson wanted Vitor Belfort or Anderson Silva after last fight

There were those on Dan Henderson's team who thought the MMA legend would just ride off into the sunset after his first-round knockout over Tim Boetsch in June. They thought the 44-year-old might tak read news >>

Belfort wants Weidman or 'trash talker' Rockhold after getting past Henderson

Vitor Belfort believes a win over Dan Henderson in November will earn him another immediate title opportunity. Vitor Belfort might have been handed a decisive loss in his title fight against Chris We read news >>

Vitor Belfort wants title shot with win over Dan Henderson in Brazil

Vitor Belfort needed three explosive wins in 2013 to earn a shot at the middleweight title, and hopes one win is enough for him to get enter another title fight. "The Phenom" is slated to meet Dan He read news >>

Goal-oriented Vitor Belfort wants another title shot after he beats Dan Henderson or he could be 'out'

Vitor Belfort, 38, isn't getting any younger. And that means he wants to see if he can accomplish his goals in mixed martial arts (MMA) without having to wait. The hard-hitting Ultimate Fighting Cham read news >>

Liz Carmouche meets Raquel Pennington at UFC 191

"Girlrilla" will look to start a winning streak. Liz Carmouche takes on Raquel Pennington at UFC 191 on Sept. 5 in Las Vegas, it was announced Wednesday on UFC Tonight. Carmouche (10-5) holds the dis read news >>

Neil Magny replaces injured Rick Story, meets Erick Silva at UFC Fight Night 74

Neil Magny had his seven-fight winning streak snapped by Demian Maia earlier this month, and wants to get back to the win column as soon as possible. The UFC announced on Tuesday that Magny will repl read news >>

UFC Fight Night 73 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media

Following Saturday’s UFC Fight Night 73 event in Nashville, several of the winning and losing fighters, along with their coaches, training partners or family members, took to social media to react to read news >>

Beneil Dariush wants to be a UFC champion (at lightweight or welterweight) not a gatekeeper

Beneil Dariush continued his winning ways by sneaking out of the Bridestone Arena in Nashville, Tennessee with a win over Michael Johnson during last night's (Sat., Aug. 8, 2015) UFC Fight Night 73 e read news >>

Joe Silva’s Shoes: What's next for UFC Fight Night 73's winning fighters?

With UFC Fight Night 73 in the rearview mirror, it’s time to look forward, put on a pair of Joe Silva and Sean Shelby’s shoes, and play UFC matchmaker.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

UFC will want to give Glover Teixeira another title shot after winning performance against Ovince Saint Preux tonight

"G-Tex" sees a second shot at gold in his near future if he is able to thwart the offensive attack of "OSP" tonight in Nashville ... Fighters ache, break bones and pull out of fights all the time. In read news >>