cezar-ferreira-2.jpgAfter winning the inaugural season of “The Ultimate Fighter: Brazil” in 2012, Cezar Ferreira now counts blue-chip companies such as Gillette and Head & Shoulders among his sponsors. His first real backer, though, may surprise you.

Like many Brazilians, Ferreira (5-2 MMA, 1-0 UFC), who meets Thiago “Marreta” Santos (8-1 MMA, 0-0 UFC) on Saturday’s UFC 163 pay-per-view main card at Rio de Janeiro’s HSBC Arena, found his way to MMA through capoeira, a martial-arts hybrid that combines dance and acrobatics with music. He began his training when he was just 6 years old.

As a teen, Ferreira would often travel throughout the country and search out the best training possible, even though he didn’t have much money. He ultimately ended up at an academy in Belo Horizonte, a city where UFC fighter Vitor Belfort also trained.

It was at that academy, run by Master Mao Branca, where Ferreira first got his nickname, “Mutante” (Mutant). Because the facility was open to outsiders, an unknown German unknowingly gave Ferreira a nickname that’s stuck to this day.

“Master Mao Branca’s academy is called Capoeira Gerais,” he told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). “It’s one of the world’s best capoeira groups. When I was training there, tourists from other countries would always come to see us. Around that time, I was teaching a group of Germans. They saw a couple of my photos, one where I was thin and another where I was stronger. So they jokingly decided I was a mutant.

“After that, everyone called me ‘Mutante.’”

Soon after, Ferreira eventually crossed paths with Belfort and joined his academy.

“I met him through a friend,” Ferreira said. “We started training together at his academy. He gave me full access to his academy and to his trainers. He funded my membership. He helped me in various ways. This was nine years ago. We’ve been together ever since.”

These days, Ferreira and Belfort are now teammates at the Florida-based Blackzilians camp. Ferreira’s been a member for the past three months, so nearly his entire fight camp has taken place there.

In fact, while in Florida, he does nothing else outside of family commitments with his wife and 5-year-old daughter.

“I only train,” he said. “That’s my only focus.”

The array of top-level training partners, including Belfort and Anthony Johnson, gives Ferreira plenty of confidence heading into Saturday’s bout. In fact, Santos replaced original opponent Clint Hester just two weeks ago, but Ferreira said he’s not bothered at all by the late change.

That, at least partially, can be credited to his time on “TUF,” where Ferreira fought a variety of opponents on short notice. That also means he doesn’t have a problem fighting a fellow Brazilian in front of Brazilian fans.

“Since my camp is done, it doesn’t matter who I face,” he said. “Since I came through ‘TUF,’ I feel I’m well equipped for this. When I was in ‘TUF,’ I didn’t know my opponent one day before my first fight. And once in the house, my opponents were only announced three days before our fight. So if that happens to me going forward, it won’t bother me or change anything. I’m ready anytime.”

So come Saturday, it’s business as usual.

“It’s going to be a first-round knockout,” he said. “And if he wants, we can have a beer later.”

For more on UFC 163, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

Conor McGregor Pretends to Apologize After Winning 2nd Title at UFC 205

Conor McGregor faced the toughest opponent of his career at UFC 205 and posted what may have been his most dominant win to date. Opposite now-former lightweight champion Eddie Alvarez, McGregor lande read news >>

UFC 205 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media

Following Saturday’s UFC 205 in New York City several of the winning and losing fighters, along with their coaches, training partners or family members, took to social media to react to the event or read news >>

Joe Silva’s Shoes: What's next for Conor McGregor and UFC 205's other winning fighters?

UFC 205 was a historic event for the company, and for good reason. It was arguably its most stacked fight card to date.Filed under: Featured, Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Fighting octagon newcomer, UFC Fight Night 99's Magnus Cedenblad says 'names are overrated'

BELFAST, Northern Ireland – Despite a four-fight winning streak in the UFC middleweight division, Magnus Cedenblad said he isn’t particularly concerned with the fact he’s fighting a promotional newco read news >>

Gegard Mousasi on Uriah Hall Rematch: ‘It’s Time for Payback’ | MMAWeekly.com

Fifth-ranked Gegard Mousasi is riding a three-fight winning streak. His one loss in his last six fights came to Uriah Hall, but he has the chance at payback. read news >>

During the bad days, UFC Fight Night 100's Cezar Ferreira considered calling it quits

A few losses and some persistent injuries can make any fighter reconsider his chosen profession. Cezar Ferreira is no different.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC Fight Night 100 results: Cezar Ferreira chokes out Jack Hermansson in second round

SAO PAULO – After one round of containing the bouncy attacks of Jack Hermansson, Cezar Ferreira thought he’d try his luck on the canvas.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Cezar Ferreira Sinks the Choke! (UFC Sao Paulo Highlights) | MMAWeekly.com

Cezar Ferreira locked on an arm-triangle choke that Jack Hermansson couldn't escape at UFC Fight Night 100 on Saturday in Sao Paulo, Brazil. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 100’s Cezar Ferreira says driving for Uber taught him about money

SAO PAULO – After a failed experiment as a UFC welterweight, Cezar Ferreira went to the promotion in summer 2015 and said he needed some time off. While he nursed injuries, he turned to Uber.Filed un read news >>

UFC Fight Night 99 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media

Following Saturday’s UFC Fight Night 99 event in Belfast, Northern Ireland, several of the winning and losing fighters took to social media to react to the event or share a message with supporters. C read news >>