Vitor Belfort Undergoes Hand Surgery, Withdraws from UFC 147 Rematch with Wanderlei Silva


UFC 147 headliner Vitor Belfort has suffered a broken hand and will not compete at the June 23 event.

Saturday night in Las Vegas at the UFC 146 post-fight press conference, UFC President Dana White announced that Belfort had undergone hand surgery earlier in the day. Belfort was slated to lock horns with rival Wanderlei Silva at Felipe Drumond Stadium in Belo Horizonte, Brazil. White confirmed that Silva will still compete on the card and that the promotion is currently seeking a replacement opponent for “The Axe Murderer.”

“I can’t sleep, thinking about what happened,” Belfort later tweeted, attaching a picture of his injured hand. “I’m very sad... but I know I’ll come back strong.”

Belfort and Silva served as opposing coaches on the recent “Ultimate Fighter: Brazil” reality show, but they first met in the cage back in 1998. “The Phenom” blitzed Silva with a barrage of punches in just 44 seconds, sending Silva reeling across the cage and eventually to the canvas.

Following that defeat, Silva would go on to rule Pride Fighting Championships’ light heavyweight ranks in Japan, earning notable wins over Guy Mezger, Dan Henderson, Quinton Jackson (twice) and Kazushi Sakuraba (thrice), among others. More recently, 35-year-old Silva has racked up a 3-4 Octagon record, knocking out former Strikeforce champion Cung Le in his last appearance at UFC 139.

Belfort would briefly capture the UFC’s light heavyweight title in 2004 before handing the belt back to Randy Couture later that year. Since dropping to 185 pounds, Belfort has looked sharp, finishing Terry Martin, Matt Lindland and Rich Franklin before stumbling in his bid to win Anderson Silva’s UFC middleweight title last year. The 35-year-old rebounded from the defeat by posting back-to-back wins, however, knocking out Yoshihiro Akiyama and submitting Anthony Johnson.

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

  • a day ago
  • 1 views

UFC middleweight title challenger Vitor Belfort says that champion Chris Weidman is out of their December title fight after breaking his hand. Nothing like a dose of bad news to start off your week, read news >>

  • a day ago
  • 7 views

Chris Weidman has suffered a hand injury and has been forced to withdraw from UFC 181. read news >>

  • a day ago
  • 2 views

UFC middleweight champion Chris Weidman has been forced to withdraw from his scheduled UFC 181 title fight opposite Vitor Belfort: Belfort vs. Weidman moved to February, according to Vitor. Damn. — G read news >>

  • 27 days ago
  • 21 views

Can't knock (out) the confidence. Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) middleweight titleholder, Chris Weidman, recently said if he doesn't get a stoppage victory over Vitor Belfort when they collide read news >>

  • 22 days ago
  • 20 views

UFC heavyweight title challenger Fabricio Werdum isn’t convinced Wanderlei Silva’s trouble with the Nevada State Athletic Commission will tarnish his career.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

  • 20 days ago
  • 10 views

UFC president Dana White says Wanderlei Silva would have been better off testing positive to a banned substance than running from the random drug test. read news >>

  • 12 days ago
  • 173 views

BRASILIA, Brazil – For the past several years, testosterone replacement therapy has been one of the most controversial topics in the sport of MMA. But according to Antonio Silva's manager, the TRT ba read news >>

  • 11 days ago
  • 46 views

Surging UFC middleweight contender Ronaldo Souza isn't scheduled to fight for the UFC middleweight championship this year, but apparently, he's anxious for a high-profile matchup before 2015 begins. read news >>

  • 4 days ago
  • 86 views

Wanderlei Silva will never fight again. More than a year after his last fight inside the Octagon, and still involved a controversy with the Nevada Athletic Commission, the former PRIDE champion has a read news >>